2019 Free Agency V2

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

26 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

So on average half a teams FA signings bust. Who are you guys not feeling of this FA haul?

I like most of the signings. I feel like I can see the gameplan behind the free agency guys brought in, and all of them could contribute, but I'd say both the LBs have a real possibility of being "busts" either due to age, injuries, or a combination. I also could see Tyrell Williams not living up to his contract for the year. I think hes very talented, and I like the fit as a number too, but its entirely possible that Antonio Brown gets so many targets and we draft a guy like Hockenson or Fant or another wideout in a deep draft in the second or third (im aware we dont currently have a third) and one of those guys click more with DC. Williams likes to work deep down the field, and that isnt exactly where Carr shines, and Carr has shown that he will feed the ball to guys hes more comfortable with and with a guy like AB on the team that wont always be a bad thing. Nelson could also be a poor fit for those reasons but hes basically being asked to make a handful of plays to take the top off next year. I could still see Williams having an excellent year as the secomd option that sees a ton of single coverage, but I think the possibility is very real that he doesnt quite live up to what we envisioned when signing him depending on what direction we go in the draft..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

So on average half a teams FA signings bust. Who are you guys not feeling of this FA haul?

I think we've been pretty coy with the contracts this year apart from Brown, Williams and Joyner so they would be the three biggest risks

OT Trent brown I think will be decent to good but maybe not worth quite the money he got overall.
S Joyner I like as a player but again, he may not be quite worth the money we gave him though I don't think he'll be bad by any means.
WR Williams I'm probably most down on, I just don't see a guy there worth what we're paying him and I'd say biggest chance to bust.

WR JJ Nelson we've mitigated risk by not giving him a huge deal, could be a decent role player. 
RB Crowell we've limited our risk again by signing him cheap so as long as he gets in the rotation he'll be as expected, decent signing.
LB Burfict is kind of boom or bust, but again I like the fact we haven't overpayed so even if he flames out it's not a burden.
LB Marshall I expect to be pretty decent, he's the type of coverage LB we need so I expect him to be great value.
CB Lawson I don't expect a lot from, he's a decent cover guy but a PI waiting to happen and could be very frustrating to watch.
Backup QBs are just signing a bunch of guys and hoping one sticks I think, again little risk here.

Other low risk signings like Wilson, Green, Riley, Glennon and so on are pretty nondescript but I do like Good who I think is a sneaky good signing considering the favourable contract.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I have a decent amount of faith that Trent Brown, LaMarcus Joyner, and Tyrell Williams will be good pickups. I have no faith in Brandon Marshall, Vontaze Burfict, or the CB we signed from the Lions to be anything more than backups. You'd think that our plan to bring in mid-round pick LBs and older veterans would eventually change. 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Just giving my opinion.

The problem with most people on this forum (and I appreciate your objectivity), is if they don't like a player they have to bury him. They can't respect certain aspects of his game and position fit. Example, the guys that like Williams have to bury a very talented player in Oliver to try and make a point. But it's possible that ya know.... both are actually good players.

With Jacobs, I like him. But with a lot of needs (and a possibly better RB class in 2020) I agree. He's not worth the early investment. But I can completely see Gruden being the guy to take him.

Yeah, I defiantly have my opinions but I try to make sure that are weighed in fact, reason and evidence. If they aren't then if someone can provide a better way to see something it makes sense to change your view or, at the very least, admit you see the other end of the spectrum. We all know that if you are opinionated on this forum, sooner or later, someone will ask you to support your statements. In that vein...

Why do you see Gruden as the guy to take him?

Not trying to start anything. I'm trying to see what you do. I think Gruden is about improving the team and I think he has things he wants and will "pound the table" for but I think besides that he is leaving the player selection up to Mayock and the scouts. Of course, there are discussions haha. So my question is why is Gruden "pounding the table" for Jacobs specifically in your opinion?

Is it just a feeling you get from Gruden that he will do imprudent things to improve the offense or is it something he said somewhere that I missed?

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Just goes to show that even teams with guys like Luck, Garappolo and what they get paid can have a decent amount of cap room if they are smart. Colts have really turned themselves around recently especially their much maligned FO.

Yeah we are only 5 mil off of SF's cap space and that is after much of a very active FA period. If we hit on our high draft picks these next years we'll be in good a good place even with Carr on the roster as well.

Indy is in such a great place for a few reasons. Signing guys to good deals, hitting on the last 2 drafts and rolling over 50mil in space. After Luck showed he was gonna need time to get healthy they basically pushed the money ahead to the future when they needed it. Looking at their active contracts, they would have 1mil in space without the 49mil in rollover money. Kudos to Ballard.

29 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Why do you see Gruden as the guy to take him?

When he described what he looks for in the position recently, it sounded like he was describing Jacobs. Tough, physical back that looks for contact and has hands out of the backfield. He likes an every down workhorse who can pass protect on 3rd down. 

Not saying Gruden will take him, just that I could see Gruden really liking his skill set.

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

When he described what he looks for in the position recently, it sounded like he was describing Jacobs. Tough, physical back that looks for contact and has hands out of the backfield. He likes an every down workhorse who can pass protect on 3rd down. 

Not saying Gruden will take him, just that I could see Gruden really liking his skill set.

I guess I can see that. From what he said, Crowell fits that too.  I hope Mayock and the draft team have valid options to over rule that "want" and the conviction to stick their value and board.

20 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I guess I can see that. From what he said, Crowell fits that too.  I hope Mayock and the draft team have valid options to over rule that "want" and the conviction to stick their value and board.

I think most GMs are lower on Jacobs than people think. Was listening on Sirius and guy talked to 8-9 GMs and none had a 1st Round Running Back on their board. If Jacobs is at 35 that would be some decent value and I could see us selecting him. He’ll be a good back. Not great but pretty good and a 3down back. 

40 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think most GMs are lower on Jacobs than people think. Was listening on Sirius and guy talked to 8-9 GMs and none had a 1st Round Running Back on their board. If Jacobs is at 35 that would be some decent value and I could see us selecting him. He’ll be a good back. Not great but pretty good and a 3down back. 

I think that is reasonable to want. I don't want to address the position at that point for reasons I've stated and I think there will be better value there at S, CB, OL, DE, DT and WR.

10 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I think that is reasonable to want. I don't want to address the position at that point for reasons I've stated and I think there will be better value there at S, CB, OL, DE, DT and WR.

I agree I’d rather draft a RB in the 5th and use a tandem. I like Bryce Love. Him and Crowell would complement each other well. 

Jacobs at 35 would be solid value though and a position of need. I could see him being the pick if he fell that far. I don’t think we are taking him at 24 like everyone seems to think though. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I agree I’d rather draft a RB in the 5th and use a tandem. I like Bryce Love. Him and Crowell would complement each other well. 

Jacobs at 35 would be solid value though and a position of need. I could see him being the pick if he fell that far. I don’t think we are taking him at 24 like everyone seems to think though. 

I don't think Love makes it to the 5th imo. I think there will be a run on backs between the 2nd and the 4th.

Yes, Jacobs is good value in the 2nd but I think there are 10-15 guys that should be there that are better value.

11 hours ago, G said:

Lynch is waiting to see what we do at QB. Why sign if Carr is gone. Maybe we trade Carr and get Rosen, then why would Lynch sign? He got injured once the season was over. Got a feeling had we been winning that Lynch would have made sure to have returned especially if in the playoffs. Win nothing to win and long term to lose I wasn't surprised to not see him again. Even if we draft a RB high, Lynch will come in if Gruden shows stability at the QB position and a real chance to win in Oakland.

Lynch don't have the power... basically if Gruden and Mayock see value and can upgrade in the draft... if they can't get around to RB Lynch gets his spot back

4 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I don't think Love makes it to the 5th imo. I think there will be a run on backs between the 2nd and the 4th.

Yes, Jacobs is good value in the 2nd but I think there are 10-15 guys that should be there that are better value.

where is Love in his recovery?