Browns will have the best offense in 2019!

buno67

15 minutes ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

I still think we will be alright. None of us knows what the future brings but I'm cautiously optimistic. The one thing that scares me is injuries but there is not much that can be done about that so we will see where the chips lie

And I think this is completely reasonable. Don't start popping the champaign just yet, the AFC has some scary units out there (Colts, Chiefs, Chargers, Patriots, Texans, Ravens) and there's always a team that has the collective light bulb turn on and massively overperforms (looking at you Jacksonville, NYJ, Tennessee). 

The Browns are probably the favorite to win the AFCN (Baltimore is going to be a challenge, though). That could lead to a #3 or #4 seed and a date against a white hot wild card team that just found its groove and waiting to pull out the upset, a team that is in "every game is a playoff game" mode since week 10. You don't want to play that team, at all. (It's literally what happened to Houston and Baltimore this post season - they ran into a buzzsaw with Indy and LAR. It happens, quite a lot).

So, let's hold off on the parade. I'm INCREDIBLY happy for the Browns, us Texans fans are kindred spirits in many ways - but tempering expectations is always a prudent step, means you'll be pleasantly surprised in some capacity.

48 minutes ago, showtime said:

Same was said about Luke Walton when he was an assistant coach for the Golden State Warriors.  Everyone said he's a smart and vibrant head coach.  The Lakers players got along with him just fine when there were no expectations attached to the team.  The goal for the Lakers was just to get better and everyone was patient.

Look at a few post above.  "Anything less than an AFC championship would be a disappointment."  That's insane.  This team literally went from just getting better and developing young talent to now making it to the AFC championship.

It's easy for players to love a coach when the expectations are really low (like they were last year) and there is no pressure.  The team got better when Mayfield became the QB and there was a lot of excitement.  This upcoming season is way different.  Now there are massive expectations on a team filled with players who have never experienced this before and a first year head coach.

This is hardly the same team from 2017 because Dorsey has completely revamped our whole roster. That is my personal opinion about the AFC championship game and is def not the consensus of an entire fan base. Think what you want but Vegas seems to agree with me by giving the Browns the 5th best odds to win the SB. Time will tell

42 minutes ago, ET80 said:

And I think this is completely reasonable. Don't start popping the champaign just yet, the AFC has some scary units out there (Colts, Chiefs, Chargers, Patriots, Texans, Ravens) and there's always a team that has the collective light bulb turn on and massively overperforms (looking at you Jacksonville, NYJ, Tennessee). 

The Browns are probably the favorite to win the AFCN (Baltimore is going to be a challenge, though). That could lead to a #3 or #4 seed and a date against a white hot wild card team that just found its groove and waiting to pull out the upset, a team that is in "every game is a playoff game" mode since week 10. You don't want to play that team, at all. (It's literally what happened to Houston and Baltimore this post season - they ran into a buzzsaw with Indy and LAR. It happens, quite a lot).

So, let's hold off on the parade. I'm INCREDIBLY happy for the Browns, us Texans fans are kindred spirits in many ways - but tempering expectations is always a prudent step, means you'll be pleasantly surprised in some capacity.

No champagne popping here just saying what my personal thoughts are

2 minutes ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

This is hardly the same team from 2017 because Dorsey has completely revamped our whole roster. That is my personal opinion about the AFC championship game and is def not the consensus of an entire fan base. Think what you want but Vegas seems to agree with me by giving the Browns the 5th best odds to win the SB. Time will tell

That's my whole point.  This team went from being the worst team in the league, to having promise and developing young players with a lot of potential and now they're 5th best odds to win the SB.

That's a massive jump in expectations very fast.

I really like what the Browns have done and I'm wishing them the best.  I'm just saying this seems really similar to the Los Angeles Lakers.

49 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Also worth noting that the Browns have a rookie coaching staff with a young QB and a team that lacks playoff experience. That generally doesn't result in deep playoff runs that first year (see the 2017 Rams and the 2018 Bears).

2 hours ago, showtime said:

I'm concerned about Kitchens the head coach.  Hear me out on this one, but this is kind of similar to when LeBron James went to the Los Angeles Lakers last off-season.

*  The Lakers were a losing team with very little expectations (just like the Browns).  The Lakers hire Luke Walton, a first time head coach, to coach a young and up a coming team - Like like the Browns did with Kitchens. 

*  All of a sudden, the Lakers get LeBron James.  Now a team that has very little expectations now has massive expectations.  This is similar in the sense that, the Browns are an up and coming talented team and now they have much larger expectations.  Many people are saying they will be the best (or one of the best) offenses in the entire league, win the division and make some noise in the playoffs.  None of this was really being said about the Browns two weeks ago.

*  Does a first year head coach have the long term ability to get through to a locker room that just added a lot of different personalities to the mix (not counting the draft yet or any other signings, obviously).  With the Lakers, the team did not live up to expectations and I will be beyond shocked if Luke Walton was brought back.  If the Browns finish with a 7-9 or so record, do things fall apart?  Is the coach going to get walked all over, etc?

This analysis is neglecting the fact that LeBron is quite clearly an alcoholic.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

There are some comments that make me wonder if some people have working televisions to actually watch football.

That was one of them.

All of this comparison between Hunt (DV issues) and Gurley (has no legs) has me thinking, how many yards would Oscar Pistorius have run for as a Patriot?

Also, and this is more important, if I start that topic, would you lock it?

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Also worth noting that the Browns have a rookie coaching staff with a young QB and a team that lacks playoff experience. That generally doesn't result in deep playoff runs that first year (see the 2017 Rams and the 2018 Bears).

Rookie coaching staff? Or a rookie HC? Freddie is a rookie but he has a lot of experience on that staff outside of his QB coach and DL coach  Lindsay has a lot of experience by being a former QB for Freddie. So the true rookie is The DL coach who has no real connections to anyone on staff and has never coached in the NFL before

One benefit Freddie has over other first time HCs is he already has a relationship with this team. 

I would want to see the track record of how well a first time HC does who was promoted with in. I know the first year for a HC can be tough cause they are learning how to work with the FO,  the coaches, the training staff, and the players. But when it comes to that aspect with freddie, he doesn’t have that learning curve. He doesn’t have install anything. He can hit the ground running, not everyone can do that. 

Out of all the NFL HCs only one has had a similar experience to Freddie and that was Jason Garrett. Was never a HC before but gets promoted within and his first year they win one game in the playoffs. 

If any browns fans is expecting a deep run they are putting the wagon way ahead of the cart. The expections should be AFC North title or bust really. Anything after that to exceed that is just gravy

Archived