Miami Dolphins Tanking Plan

Activated10

Miami Dolphins fans, how do you see the Miami Dolphins gameplan going to work. Trade with Ryan Tannehill and keeping Parker was good start. How you going to gain more draft capital, who are the young players to build around and what's your confidence in Brian Flores and Chris Grier

I've never really advocated for Colin Kaepernick, but if Miami wants this tank plan to come to fruition, they should have signed him. He's easily worse than Fitzpatrick.

I'm serious. He should have been their guy, even if it meant some backlash (or support).

I feel like actually tanking is pretty difficult.  None of the players or coaches have much of a motivation to not win games, really.

If the team is really bad enough though, I guess it could work.  They better hope the 2020 crop of QBs actually turns out well.

As you said, getting rid of Tannehill was a start. We needed to start brand new so all of the aging players with large contracts had to go.

They're trading aging vets to gain captiol. So much so that I think Reshad Jones could be next. Taking himself out of the last game of the season and his shoulder issues may lead to the chopping block. Robert Quinn is being shopped around as well. So far they've gotten a 2020 4th and 7th from Tannehill, projected 3rd and 5th 2020 comps for Ja'Wuan James and Cameron Wake leaving in free agency, and may receive a 2020 mid-round pick(s) for Quinn.

Xavien Howard and Minkah Fitzpatrick are your cornerstones in the secondary. Reshad Jones may or may not fit into this category.The hybrid defense Flores is bringing to Miami should benefit young players like Raekwon McMillan at LB and Vincent Taylor at DT. Kenyan Drake and Laremy Tunsil highlight the offense. Looking at the additions to TE, I'm expecting Mike Gesicki to get a lot more looks in the passing game instead of blocking like a certain coach in NY had him doing. Not much on offense actually unless Parker does something.

I'm a see it to believe it kind of guy so I'm withholding judgement on Grier and Flores but I like what Grier is doing so far bringing in guys who've had success elsewhere to help: Marvin Allen was the director of scouting for Kansas City when they drafted Peters, Mahomes, Hunt, Kelce, etc. Reggie McKenzie has had some good drafts in Oakland picking up Mack, Carr, and Cooper over the years. We need an infusion of talent on both sides of the  ball and having those guys certainly helps.

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

I feel like actually tanking is pretty difficult.  None of the players or coaches have much of a motivation to not win games, really.

If the team is really bad enough though, I guess it could work.  They better hope the 2020 crop of QBs actually turns out well.

We have the lowest talent level in the NFL right now. We have absolutely no star power everywhere and most of our starters can be defined as "below average". We have some good players who may take the next step and become stars (Tunsil, Fitzpatrick, Xavien Howard, maybe Devante Parker if he can be salvaged), but this team will struggle to win games in 2019 no matter how hard the players/coaches try. We have a meme at QB and the worst OL in the league. Bottom 5 DL. No Linebacker worth a damn. Pedestrian receivers. Frankly if Brian Flores can win 6 games with this squad he deserves coach of the year (But at the same time, not, because that would severely hurt our ability to draft a franchise QB in 2020).

Reports are the Dolphins want Tua in 2020. If they can't get him, Herbert is the consolation prize. But that's clearly the thinking of the FO right now. In fact, Stephen Ross heavily implied they were tanking in an official statement:

“Seeing that today we are no further along than when I bought the team,” Ross said in a Monday morning news conference. “We have been operating under a philosophy that we had a good young roster that needed maybe free agents and draft choices and we would be very competitive. To keep operating under that philosophy would be the definition of insanity — doing the same thing and expecting a different result. I thought it was time for the organization to take a different approach, much like I do in my business....

“We are going to build it the right way and looking to build an organization that can be sustainable and winning … Not just signing free agents that are older and a few draft choices and think you are going to be a contender.”

That's about as close to an official "we're tanking next season" as you can get.

I feel that signing Fitzpatrick was just a gesture to make it look like we're not 100% tanking, instead of going through the season with a 3rd string guy being our starting QB. And we don't want to go 0-16.

The more of Fromm I watched, the more I like him over Herbert, actually. 

Shouldn't we wait for the Browns to be good before saying that teams should follow their strategy?

Also they had a 3 year run of picking 2nd, 1st, and 1st, where they actively passed on opportunities to improve in order to get more draft capital (trading the Wentz pick for a haul). It's not really reasonable for any GM/coach to go down the road of being that terrible for that long.

Archived