2019 MLB Regular Season Discussion

Thelonebillsfan

32 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Harper is all about Harper. Doesn't give a damn about anything else. If the Nats had offered 13 years, 335 million, he'd be in DC. If the Padres had offered 13 years, 335 million, he'd be in San Diego. Don't buy that "in it for the long haul" crap coming out of his mouth. He's in it for himself.

giphy.gif

Alright, G. Can't blame him for getting a bag. Really sorry he hurt you that bad.

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@MWil23 MLII has reasonable movie-smugness, but you can't replicate in-the-moment sports smugness.

I won't disagree that real life always trumps movie smugness. However, Parkman checks every box for me:

1. He's a baseball mercenary that doesn't care at all about fans, his teammates, or anyone but himself.

2. He shows complete disdain for every random baseball unwritten rule, pageantry, etc.

3. He wears sunglasses and DOUBLE FOREARM BANDS while hitting, to go with his ritualistic pre-at-bat shimmy, smug smirk and gestures towards the mound, non FF appropriate trash talk (which he always backs up with the exception of the final showdown against Wild Thing)

4. He works himself into a trade with an Inter Division Rival in the middle of a postseason chase between the two clubs

5. His post HR related routine is epic. It takes him about 4 minutes to round the bases, he gestures towards players and the fans, he raises both of his arms and makes direct eye contact with approximately 32,000 people, smirking at all of them...it's truly beautiful.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I won't disagree that real life always trumps movie smugness. However, Parkman checks every box for me:

1. He's a baseball mercenary that doesn't care at all about fans, his teammates, or anyone but himself.

2. He shows complete disdain for every random baseball unwritten rule, pageantry, etc.

3. He wears sunglasses and DOUBLE FOREARM BANDS while hitting, to go with his ritualistic pre-at-bat shimmy, smug smirk and gestures towards the mound, non FF appropriate trash talk (which he always backs up with the exception of the final showdown against Wild Thing)

4. He works himself into a trade with an Inter Division Rival in the middle of a postseason chase between the two clubs

5. His post HR related routine is epic. It takes him about 4 minutes to round the bases, he gestures towards players and the fans, he raises both of his arms and makes direct eye contact with approximately 32,000 people, smirking at all of them...it's truly beautiful.

Even among TV/movie smugness, Kenny Powers is the gold standard.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Even among TV/movie smugness, Kenny Powers is the gold standard.

Kenny Powers is basically a hybrid between John Rocker, Ron Beck, Mitch Williams, and about any other 80's/90's inspired MLB relief guy on copious amounts of cocaine or PED's like Rob Dibble.

Parkman gets bonus points for turning the most selfless and blue collar position (catcher) into that of a complete selfish diva.

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

Harper is all about Harper. Doesn't give a damn about anything else. If the Nats had offered 13 years, 335 million, he'd be in DC. If the Padres had offered 13 years, 335 million, he'd be in San Diego. Don't buy that "in it for the long haul" crap coming out of his mouth. He's in it for himself.

You wreak of salt and bitterness. Of course a player is going to sign the deal that fits his needs the best. Now that he has that deal, he can focus on his craft.

But hey, when you have an organization that treats it's star players the way the Nationals ownership and FO treated Bryce, I can't blame him for leaving.

https://deadspin.com/report-the-nationals-second-offer-to-bryce-harper-was-1833740651

Side Note: Who gives an offer during the middle of a game in the tunnel in a sealed envelope? That's not how things work in the modern day.

13 hours ago, N4L said:

He really should DH for us every day if that happens lol 

The fact he bats righty but throws lefty means he could actually do it and not add as much wear and tear on his throwing shoulder.

I still want him to be our everyday first baseman, who pitches every 5th day lol 

But it means his pitching arm is the one exposed at the plate.

3 hours ago, Danger said:

You wreak of salt and bitterness. Of course a player is going to sign the deal that fits his needs the best. Now that he has that deal, he can focus on his craft.

But hey, when you have an organization that treats it's star players the way the Nationals ownership and FO treated Bryce, I can't blame him for leaving.

https://deadspin.com/report-the-nationals-second-offer-to-bryce-harper-was-1833740651

Side Note: Who gives an offer during the middle of a game in the tunnel in a sealed envelope? That's not how things work in the modern day.

That is ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Danger said:

I know all about this. But I had this opinion of Harper long before he joined the Phillies.