2019 MLB Regular Season Discussion

Thelonebillsfan

OK.....Tyler Clippard just finished off his first hitter in an Indians uniform.  

While I hope he does a good job, and locks down a spot in the pen for the season, I am too damned old to have someone that works so friggin slow on my favorite team.

I broke out the stop watch during his first outing, and I started it when the ball got back into his glove, and stopped when it left his hand.  He averaged 30+ seconds per pitch.  Hey, MLB headquarters....you want to speed up the games a bit, tell Clippard to get his a@@ into gear.  

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 1:20 PM, Slateman said:

Second game and it's obvious that the Nats season is over. Gonna be a long year for DC sports.

On 3/30/2019 at 2:01 PM, Forge said:

You've got the Caps

On 3/30/2019 at 6:00 PM, Slateman said:

They're getting bumped on the first round

Called it.

• Like 2

Chapman is only hitting 97/98 with his fastball this season. I would say it's the beginning of the end, but he's actually locating the ball better than I've ever seen him and mixing in his secondary pitch really well. 

I think he's starting to pitch, rather than just throwing it and trying to blow guys away just with speed. I think the release looks easier and I don't think he is extending his arm as much. 

Probably a lot easier on his arm. I bet he could still hit 101/102 if he wanted and that would be another way to mix speeds, especially once people aren't expecting 101/102 until it zips by them. 

The cuban missile just acquired a guidance program ... Watch out 

8 hours ago, N4L said:

Chapman is only hitting 97/98 with his fastball this season. I would say it's the beginning of the end, but he's actually locating the ball better than I've ever seen him and mixing in his secondary pitch really well. 

I think he's starting to pitch, rather than just throwing it and trying to blow guys away just with speed. I think the release looks easier and I don't think he is extending his arm as much. 

Probably a lot easier on his arm. I bet he could still hit 101/102 if he wanted and that would be another way to mix speeds, especially once people aren't expecting 101/102 until it zips by them. 

The cuban missile just acquired a guidance program ... Watch out 

I can't wait for Devers to get another walk off on him this year.

On 4/24/2019 at 12:24 PM, Leader said:

Cant tell you how the game played out or his velocity, but based on his stat line, I dont think Sale was the reason:

5 IP
5 H
2 ER
10 Ks
2 BB

Total 97 pitches. 72 strikes / 25 balls. Thats a lot of strikes.

Problem is DET's pitcher (Boyd) didnt have a bad day himself:

7 IP
3 H
3 ER
3 Ks
2 BB

Total 88 pitches. 60 strikes / 28 balls. 

The problem is all of our terrible relief.

In game 2 against the yankees earlier this year. Eovaldi pitched an amazing 7 innings and we were up 4-1.

Brasier comes in, or maybe it was Brandon Workman, can't remember that exactly, and gives up a grand slam in 4 pitches. 9_9

2 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

The problem is all of our terrible relief. In game 2 against the yankees earlier this year. Eovaldi pitched an amazing 7 innings and we were up 4-1. Brasier comes in, or maybe it was Brandon Workman, can't remember that exactly, and gives up a grand slam in 4 pitches. 9_9

It was Workman.

It's early. Sale will get figured out. His problem has been lasting thru a full season. He's been needing "sabbaticals" along the way - but has come back to pitch strong in the playoffs. If that continues - who cares. BOS has enough bats to carry a lesser rotation and I suspect that eventually they'll begin hitting like it again.

The NYY bullpen hasnt been "lights out" as advertised either. With our starters, integrating the BP into the process is a critical given - but they've been giving up hits/runs across the board. Green was getting pounded and (mercifully.....) was just sent down to figure out his problems and Betances might pick up a baseball and begin throwing again by weeks end.

It's early.