The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That's shocking considering most, me included, think's his deep ball is trash.

I've honestly seen so many beautiful deep passes throughout his career that it doesn't surprise me. I will admit that I think last year was a down year. But 2016 and 17 he was pretty good with the deep ball.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That's shocking considering most, me included, think's his deep ball is trash.

I think people are confusing being good/bad at something vs not doing it enough.

Saying Carr needs to take more shots is a valid statement. Saying he sucks at throwing the deep ball is not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, true2form said:

I think people are confusing being good/bad at something vs not doing it enough.

Saying Carr needs to take more shots is a valid statement. Saying he sucks at throwing the deep ball is not.

I do not think he sucks.  I think he is not aggressive enough and also does not try enough like you said.  It has been beaten into his head to not take chances.  So when he throws a pass down the sideline he would rather put it where only his man can get it and by doing so errs by putting it out of bounds a lot and not giving his WR a chance to make a play.  I would like him to try and keep it in play more and if the DB is in a good position to make an int trust the WR enough to at least knock the pass down.  I think Carr has some serious trust issues that might go back to his brother and watching him get destroyed when he played.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:
4 hours ago, true2form said:

I do not think he sucks.  I think he is not aggressive enough and also does not try enough like you said.  It has been beaten into his head to not take chances.  So when he throws a pass down the sideline he would rather put it where only his man can get it and by doing so errs by putting it out of bounds a lot and not giving his WR a chance to make a play.  I would like him to try and keep it in play more and if the DB is in a good position to make an int trust the WR enough to at least knock the pass down.  I think Carr has some serious trust issues that might go back to his brother and watching him get destroyed when he played.

This is also dependant on the OL giving him time to see downfield and of course the WRs and their respective abilities we have going down field - two things last year which hindered the deep strike ability. We couldn't hold up protection long at all and we had a poor talent level at WR, especially at that facet of play.

I think we'd all like to see Carr take more risks, a few more at least but surely we can also all see why we limited our effectiveness last year in doing that and why Carr may have been very conservative. Part mindset, part talent, part scheme, part lack of confidence.

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

This is also dependant on the OL giving him time to see downfield and of course the WRs and their respective abilities we have going down field - two things last year which hindered the deep strike ability. We couldn't hold up protection long at all and we had a poor talent level at WR, especially at that facet of play.

I think we'd all like to see Carr take more risks, a few more at least but surely we can also all see why we limited our effectiveness last year in doing that and why Carr may have been very conservative. Part mindset, part talent, part scheme, part lack of confidence.

Yes there is not one thing that needs to be changed.  We have addressed a lot of what was holding him back last year already with a couple more to come but what I did not like was doing the same thing over and over again when it clearly was not working.  Stay in the pocket to take a good shot downfield, take a big shot from a defender, and then get up with some fire and emotion.  Show your team you are willing to pay a price for them and they should do the same.  If you get frustrated and throw the ball away on 4th down with game on the line.  You can tell your team you are frustrated and it was not your fault but you did not play it out to the end.  Carr takes a shot from the defender and completes the pass and I am his teammate I am going to sell out hit back with him.  He is my guy and is ready to fight with me.  He quits I quit because without my QB selling out there is very little I can do.  If he is willing to go down fighting I will be there fighting with him the entire time and we will come together as a team.  That is something I do not think Carr understands and his fire was drained as soon as Mack was traded.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Yes there is not one thing that needs to be changed.  We have addressed a lot of what was holding him back last year already with a couple more to come but what I did not like was doing the same thing over and over again when it clearly was not working.  Stay in the pocket to take a good shot downfield, take a big shot from a defender, and then get up with some fire and emotion.  Show your team you are willing to pay a price for them and they should do the same.  If you get frustrated and throw the ball away on 4th down with game on the line.  You can tell your team you are frustrated and it was not your fault but you did not play it out to the end.  Carr takes a shot from the defender and completes the pass and I am his teammate I am going to sell out hit back with him.  He is my guy and is ready to fight with me.  He quits I quit because without my QB selling out there is very little I can do.  If he is willing to go down fighting I will be there fighting with him the entire time and we will come together as a team.  That is something I do not think Carr understands and his fire was drained as soon as Mack was traded.

I almost lost it when Carr threw the ball away on 4th down at the end of the game near the redzone vs the Chargers

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

I almost lost it when Carr threw the ball away on 4th down at the end of the game near the redzone vs the Chargers

That one play summed up our entire season.  Now we find out that Miller was out there on a serious injury also.  This team could not figure out a direction to go in the entire season.  Half the team being coached like we wanted to win and the other half shutting it down.  We had a bunch of over the hill players ready to retire playing when we could have had our young guys out there to see what they had but at the same time trading away our best players for future assets.  Last year you should not characterize the team as bad.  It was a dysfuntional team from the top to the bottom.  Hopefully the people at the top have figured out the difference between their a$$ and elbow.

14 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

If he is willing to go down fighting I will be there fighting with him the entire time and we will come together as a team.  That is something I do not think Carr understands and his fire was drained as soon as Mack was traded.

Their friendship was underestimated by the organization. I've seen Carr fight lots of times. Even some last season but I also saw him just go down when a rusher got close to avoid another injury. The whole team looked like it quit a different points last year. Richard was one I saw always giving it all he had and I respect him for that. 16 weeks is a long season when morale goes out so soon in the season. The 'fight' they showed at the end costed us Bosa but it doesn't matter now. 

Carr use to throw deep balls more but Cooper and Crabs start dropping a lot more and bubble screens became the norm. :S

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

LOL. Yes!

So... just because we didnt take a second tier QB after the top one was taken already in what was universally considered a bad QB draft that solidifies that Carr is Grudens longterm guy?

I dont think so. This is very much still a make or break year for Carr, maybe even more so after we took the top RB in the draft to help him out even more. I am actually proud of Gruyock for not taking a QB in the draft after Murray was gone. 

8 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

So... just because we didnt take a second tier QB after the top one was taken already in what was universally considered a bad QB draft that solidifies that Carr is Grudens longterm guy?

I dont think so. This is very much still a make or break year for Carr, maybe even more so after we took the top RB in the draft to help him out even more. I am actually proud of Gruyock for not taking a QB in the draft after Murray was gone. 

A lot of people thought we'd trade for Murray or take a tier two QB and we didn't. That's the point. There's a good chance he's our guy long term.

• Like 1