The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

Just now, big_palooka said:

Again... I like Carr. I hope he gets back to his 2016 breakout season. But what matters is if he's Gruden's guy or not. If not, then the marriage won't work and that is all that ultimately matters.

Carrs terrible seasons aside, he usually prefers a QB with at least average mobility for his offense to function. Gannon, Garcia, and even Brad Johnson could definitely move better than Carr. 

16 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Carrs terrible seasons aside, he usually prefers a QB with at least average mobility for his offense to function. Gannon, Garcia, and even Brad Johnson could definitely move better than Carr. 

Carr is actually not a bad athlete. He just doesn't have the mentality to be more mobile

Edited by bucksavage1

27 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agree to disagree. I think one constant with Carr is his poise in the pocket dating back to college. Since his injury, he's looked erratic save a couple performances ala the Colts last year where you get really excited about him, then he puts a dud up the next week.

How am I misrepresenting the defense?  

I’ll admit Carrs poise in the pocket in that Colt game was something he usually never does. Two different he had pressure about to touch and he stayed in there and delivered a beautiful strike. I remember I was shocked and baffled, this is not usually how he plays and was a weird one time only game. 

I’d honestly rank that Colt game the 2nd best of his career behind the 2016 Buc game. Both secondarys were really bad though, and the Buc secondary was historic bad. 

Edited by BayRaider

36 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Carr is actually just as mobile he just doesn't use his mobility.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Agree to disagree. I think one constant with Carr is his poise in the pocket dating back to college. Since his injury, he's looked erratic save a couple performances ala the Colts last year where you get really excited about him, then he puts a dud up the next week.

How am I misrepresenting the defense?  

GO back and read the convo. It's already been stated.

On 09/04/2019 at 2:36 AM, NightTrainLane said:

Because he threw 59 last year. That isn't rare to me. It's not as many as other guys in different offenses but it's not like he never cranked it.

How does the point stand that he doesn't throw it when the guy has a step?

That is something that isn't shown in stat.

What is shown in stats is his receiver's separation which was 1.17yrds avg (26th) in the league. But he still was 3rd in accuracy rating. That tells us that his guys weren't getting separation or weren't running routes that allowed them to get separation and Carr was still accurate.

Now if you want to criticize him for something, you can point to his rushing (29th), his danger plays #2 (36th)(lack of awareness or high risk), interceptable passes #4 (27th). These added to his low air yards per pass ratings dropped his production efficiency to near last in the league despite being extremely accurate with the ball.

All this spells out that he can be an effective QB when he has time and options to make bigger plays. What remains to be seen is if the offense as a whole will be able to capitalize on this year.

Excellent post.

Am I the only one here who is still a little concerned with the offense and thinking if this is in fact a make or break season for Carr then we should be helping him more? 

Question marks still remaining for me at RB, with depth at WR and we have a black hole at TE. We also have downgraded our OG position. Now, to be fair, we have landed an elite WR and hopefully upgraded our OT spots. I'm just a little nervous relying on rookies to come in and make a huge impact if we are basically giving Derek Carr an ultimatum of this year or bust - to be clear I'm not in that camp unless we add significantly more.

In all likelihood we'll expend most of our draft capital on defence but I would like to see another WR added in the late first or early second to compete for a #2 or #3 slot like Samuel or McLaurin, TE is traditionally a difficult transition into the NFL especially if that player is a 3 down player and I don't see a 3 down starter on the roster. RB looks like by committee so I'll hope for a late round gem here. 

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Excellent post.

Am I the only one here who is still a little concerned with the offense and thinking if this is in fact a make or break season for Carr then we should be helping him more? 

Question marks still remaining for me at RB, with depth at WR and we have a black hole at TE. We also have downgraded our OG position. Now, to be fair, we have landed an elite WR and hopefully upgraded our OT spots. I'm just a little nervous relying on rookies to come in and make a huge impact if we are basically giving Derek Carr an ultimatum of this year or bust - to be clear I'm not in that camp unless we add significantly more.

In all likelihood we'll expend most of our draft capital on defence but I would like to see another WR added in the late first or early second to compete for a #2 or #3 slot like Samuel or McLaurin, TE is traditionally a difficult transition into the NFL especially if that player is a 3 down player and I don't see a 3 down starter on the roster. RB looks like by committee so I'll hope for a late round gem here. 

I respect your opinion. But I wouldn't like drafting a #2 or #3 slot in the first four picks when there will be good defensive players still available when that is a bigger need imo. I think a #2 or #3 slot could be had in later rounds that could be just as good as Samuel or McLaurin imo.

30 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I respect your opinion. But I wouldn't like drafting a #2 or #3 slot in the first four picks when there will be good defensive players still available when that is a bigger need imo. I think a #2 or #3 slot could be had in later rounds that could be just as good as Samuel or McLaurin imo.

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Excellent post.

When it comes to Carr we need to see progression not Pro Bowl.  I think everyone is in agreement that out ceiling expectations is not that he turns into the best QB in the league next year.  I would like to see a top ten QB with the eyeball test.  I do not need a lot of stats but I would like to see a QB that plays with passion, confidence, and willing to sacrifice.  Now he may need more talent around him to reach his potential but I do not want to draft with the intentions to help Carr reach his potential.  The #1 goal is for the team to reach its potential so the defense is just as important and probably more important this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

That's a fair point, I wouldn't be upset if all the first 4 picks were defence, so long as we didn't reach just because of a need.  I guess it depends on what happens at 4 and 24 but I'd rather go with best player at 27 or 35 even if that is a WR or TE unless we simply don't address DL at 4. 

11 hours ago, OldManWillis said:

Personally I think Carr is lacking confidence after his injuries, I would like him to beat that insecurity this year. In 2016 he clearly believed he could do anything, I want him to return to that mentality. 

I think so much of it had to do with it being his second year in the same scheme.  I wouldn't be surprised if he simply went back to that mentality just for that exact reason.  Second year in Gruden's system, huge jump, makes 2016 DC like plays, hurdles defender, incredible comeback wins to start the season, every DC hater waiting until we lose in the playoffs to demand another rookie QB during next years draft.  It'll be glorious. I could definitely imagine all of this happening.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I think so much of it had to do with it being his second year in the same scheme.  I wouldn't be surprised if he simply went back to that mentality just for that exact reason.  Second year in Gruden's system, huge jump, makes 2016 DC like plays, hurdles defender, incredible comeback wins to start the season, every DC hater waiting until we lose in the playoffs to demand another rookie QB during next years draft.  It'll be glorious. I could definitely imagine all of this happening.

They way I approach Carr is to try and find patterns and track changing variables.  The 2016 2nd year in the same scheme is probably the biggest reason I would like for him to get another shot this year.  He has a lot of red flags in my opinion but if he can start to regain his confidence and mentality from 2016 then I want to see how far he can take.  I want the team to succeed and if a player no matter who that player is if you can keep your head on straight while here I except you on my team.  If not then I would want them to get rid of you just as fast.

46 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

They way I approach Carr is to try and find patterns and track changing variables.  The 2016 2nd year in the same scheme is probably the biggest reason I would like for him to get another shot this year.  He has a lot of red flags in my opinion but if he can start to regain his confidence and mentality from 2016 then I want to see how far he can take.  I want the team to succeed and if a player no matter who that player is if you can keep your head on straight while here I except you on my team.  If not then I would want them to get rid of you just as fast.

Carr's 2016 was also a year he would be eligible for a contract extension after the season