Should Redskins trade for Josh Rosen

Geno

2 hours ago, Bo Duke said:

Only difference is evidently I am paying attention to what types of players they keep bringing in for visits. How many top edge guys have they brought in? How many first round linemen? How about reciever? Short list dude. You only get 30 visits and I'd say about a 3rd of them have been on quarterback. If they have Haskins, Lock, or Jones as first round grades you better be prepared to hear a QBs name announced two weeks from now.

This is certainly true. There's no question they're still in the market for a young QB -- and they should be. There's no question that they are doing their due diligence on all these draft-eligible QBs, which they also should be doing. The QB position is undoubtedly the most important one for in-person interviews, so I think it's smart that they are bringing in all the options to see if any of them simply jump off the page in terms of the intangibles (intelligence, personality, communication, leadership, charisma, etc). Much less important to do a full interview process with a pass-rusher or a WR, simply because you're not going to be asking them to master the entire offensive system, act as an unquestioned leader in your locker room, and become the public face of your franchise for the next decade.

However, I think the key question here is whether all the QB meetings are just due diligence, or whether it's a strong indicator that they're going to make a big investment in a QB. And I actually think their actions speak to the opposite conclusion than the one you're drawing here. To me, the fact that they're meeting with every QB under the sun speaks to the fact that they don't feel they've found "THEIR GUY" yet. As you pointed out, the number of visits a team can conduct is limited. So if they've locked in (pun intended) on a 1st round guy they believe can be the future of their franchise, it's sort of a waste of time to burn those meetings on the Will Griers and Jarrett Stidhams and Ryan Finleys of the world. To me, it speaks to the fact that they don't like any of the top guys enough to make a classic Redskins *power move* to get them. 

In 2012, they badly needed a QB, but they didn't go visiting with every available guy in the draft -- they basically just met with Luck and RG3, because they knew they'd be taking one of the two after the FO decided they wanted them and made the *power move* to get into position..To me, it feels more like the 2011 draft, where they met with a ton of different QBs and were linked to various QBs -- and ended up passing on the whole bunch to go through the season with John-Rex GrossBeck at QB. Wisely, I should add, because that group of QBs after Cam Newton was a disaster from the get-go. 

I feel quite certain that they'll take a QB in this draft. I think they're feeling tremendous pressure to have **A YOUNG QB** on the roster to give people something to think about for the future, so my thought is they'll probably do something like waste one of their 3rd round picks on Grier or Finley. For the record, I'd rather see them wait until the 5th or so and take someone like Thorson or Stidham, who can be every bit the "solid career backup" that Grier and Finley will become. But I don't know that the tea leaves are really pointing to them taking a QB in the 1st, at least not based on the composition of their private visit group.

Personally, I believe if we don't trade for Rosen, than it will be Grier, Stidham, Rypien or some guy later down the board.

I believe Kyler goes #1 to Arizona

I believe Lock goes to Denver @#5 on a trade up.

And I believe Cincinnati snags Haskins @#11 for their new coach.

So unless we trade up, we're not getting the big 3.

If that does indeed happen? I hope we trade down the board in the 1st, picking up 2nds, 3rds, 4ths or whatever for more players in this draft.

We have many spots on our roster, that could use an infusion of talent & youth.

We could also dbl down & select 2 QB's in this draft, in this scenario.

Like, let's say we traded down twice in the 1st  & ended at #32 & netted a 2nd, 3rd & 4th Rd picks?(oak & Pat's)

#32 Redskins(Pat's), #9 (Pat's)in 2nd Redskins, #44 Redskins, 3rd Rd (oak), 3rd Rd, 3rd Rd, 4th(oak), 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th & 7th.

That's 12 draft picks hypothetically.

We could go QB Will Grier in the 3rd & Brett Rypien in the 5th.

With still 10 picks for other positions.

And 4 of those picks on other positions in the top 3 rds. Edge, WR, OL & FS or so.

So I wouldn't panic if we don't land Rosen, Lock, Haskins.

Besides, at least we know Keenum knows HOW to win a playoff game.

Presuming he will be the starter.

3 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I believe Kyler goes #1 to Arizona

I believe Lock goes to Denver @#5 on a trade up.

And I believe Cincinnati snags Haskins @#11 for their new coach.

So unless we trade up, we're not getting the big 3.

If that does indeed happen? I hope we trade down the board in the 1st, picking up 2nds, 3rds, 4ths or whatever for more players in this draft.

Figure someone's going to grab OT Taylor, so in your scenario, at a minimum four offensive players have gone off the board by 15. That would mean 11 defensive players. While that sounds like a lot, that's actually lower than most mocks have it going.

And you still want to trade back, with a Devin Bush or Brian Burns on the table? Hmm, not sure I agree with that.

We have many spots on our roster, that could use an infusion of talent & youth.

We could also dbl down & select 2 QB's in this draft, in this scenario.

Like, let's say we traded down twice in the 1st  & ended at #32 & netted a 2nd, 3rd & 4th Rd picks?(oak & Pat's)

#32 Redskins(Pat's), #9 (Pat's)in 2nd Redskins, #44 Redskins, 3rd Rd (oak), 3rd Rd, 3rd Rd, 4th(oak), 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th & 7th.

The big question there: why would either Oakland or New England trade up? What moves Oakland to go from (I'm assuming) 24 to 15? What makes New England (a team notorious for trading down, not up) jump from 32 to 24?

Sure, it would be nice to have all those picks, but there needs to be a reason a team moves up.

That's 12 draft picks hypothetically.

We could go QB Will Grier in the 3rd & Brett Rypien in the 5th.

With still 10 picks for other positions.

And 4 of those picks on other positions in the top 3 rds. Edge, WR, OL & FS or so.

So I wouldn't panic if we don't land Rosen, Lock, Haskins.

Besides, at least we know Keenum knows HOW to win a playoff game.

Presuming he will be the starter.

You can probably strike EDGE off your list because by the time Washington picks at 32 in your scenario, that market is projected to be completely picked over.

22 hours ago, taylor made said:

I'd rather take Daniel Jones than trade for Josh Rosen.

That’s a bold statement. I see what teams like from Jones!!! I worry about him as a leader!!!! But I think Rosen is clearly more talented.

Daniel Jones is very underrated. Though I'm not a big fan I can tell he is intelligent and more athletic than what people give him credit for. He's just boring to watch, and the punchable face. He has the tools to be the best qb from this class if in the right situation. Reminds me of Matt Ryan 

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Can you expand on this?  I'm curious why.

Yes, let's see what happens when you move Rosen to a team with a worse WR corps and just as bad O-Line. It's not like he's magically gonna get better here like everyone thinks he.

37 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Yes, let's see what happens when you move Rosen to a team with a worse WR corps and just as bad O-Line. It's not like he's magically gonna get better here like everyone thinks he.

I’m not really sure why you think the Redskins Oline is anywhere near as bad as the Cardinals?

13 hours ago, Bo Duke said:

Daniel Jones is very underrated. Though I'm not a big fan I can tell he is intelligent and more athletic than what people give him credit for. He's just boring to watch, and the punchable face. He has the tools to be the best qb from this class if in the right situation. Reminds me of Matt Ryan 

I'm not saying he's Matt Ryan but I do agree he's underrated and has all the tools needed to be a good to great QB. 

I think it's going to come down to who they think fits them the best at qb. I'm thinking they if they just wait til pick 15 they will have a couple to pick from. The first half of the draft will be dominated by defense. If an offensive tackle and a wr go ahead of us we will be in pretty good shape to have a couple choices. Its very possible we're telling Arizona we want to see who is there at 15 before making a trade with them. Less than  2 weeks to go!

11 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

I think it's going to come down to who they think fits them the best at qb. I'm thinking they if they just wait til pick 15 they will have a couple to pick from. The first half of the draft will be dominated by defense. If an offensive tackle and a wr go ahead of us we will be in pretty good shape to have a couple choices. Its very possible we're telling Arizona we want to see who is there at 15 before making a trade with them. Less than  2 weeks to go!

This could also decided how much teams are willing to give up for Rosen.

23 hours ago, Bo Duke said:

Punchable face QBs have won super bowls, if that happens, I'll take it!

Archived