Browns release Joe Haden, signed by Steelers 3/$27m

Cheesehead430

26 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Per Jason La Canfora, PIT MIA NO PHI KC SF all in the mix.

One of the beat writers for the 49ers, extremely reliable for the most part, says that he would be surprised if we are serious contenders for Haden. Lynch offered some GM speak, so hard to really know what they are thinking there, but it didn't sound overly effusive. Really amounted to, "we are doing our due diligence, i'll talk to Shanny about it", so I'm probably more inclined to agree with MM (the beat writer) 

47 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I've already said I always thought he was overrated, but outside a few guys in the league, no one can cover Brown the way Haden was being asked to do so.

Ross Cockrell is a guy who has to give 10 yard cushions because he's so slow on top of just being a kind of soft player (poor tackler, cannot jam/disrupt). I'm looking at Haden to fill a similar role to 2014 Browner who was 2 years older and I'd wager a few steps slower. Browner looked awful in the two years wedged between that one, too. The Steelers coaches are far from perfect, but they know how to limit the weaknesses of their defensive players for the most part. Especially DB's.

I don't think he was overrated at his best he did about as much as anyone could minus interceptions. Most of the big gains AB got on Haden were when plays broke down and Ben got outside and AB had 6 or 7 seconds to improvise and yes by that time he had a little separation from Haden and they made a big play. Haden was still just a step away when AB made the catch and if he were a better athlete I suppose he stops those plays but very few CBs can cover AB for 6-10 seconds.

Haden was elite at pass breakups. He he could have turned 25% of his breakups into picks he would have been looked at as an all time great.

He can still be effective if he is on a slower bigger WR. He can't play the slot (man) or take the speed guy on the outside but with the right matchups I think he can still be a useful player. I hope he doesn't go to Pittsburgh.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Ahhh, that makes sense. My bad then @cddolphin. I mess up and thought the 2nd year was paid by whoever signed him, not the team that released him.

Although I just read that the Browns owe him $4M.  Perhaps his salary this year is guaranteed??  That might be it.  Normally, the signing bonus comes due immediately vs the cap.  Becasue he is a post June 1 release it can be spread out over 2 seasons.

There is a lot of pretty severe Joe Haden bashing in this thread.  I think when he gets into a fresh situation on a team that can win more than five games consistently in a single season, that could potentially re-light a fire under him.  I believe he can make a contribution on a team that is a serious playoff contender.

17 minutes ago, showtime said:

There is a lot of pretty severe Joe Haden bashing in this thread.  I think when he gets into a fresh situation on a team that can win more than five games consistently in a single season, that could potentially re-light a fire under him.  I believe he can make a contribution on a team that is a serious playoff contender.

Man, you're just full of bad, vaguely anti-Cleveland takes recently (this and the Kyrie trade being awful for CLE).

Haden was terrible, and I mean teeeeerrible last year. He's always been trash against bigger receivers, but last year (and this preseason) his speed is just absolutely gone. So now he is a slow, small corner who struggles against both burners and tall WRs, I mean, who is he supposed to guard. And if your argument is, "well, he just didn't want to play for a losing team," then doesn't that invalidate all the talk about how much of a Pro and a great teammate he is?

I think @Raves has the most realistic idea of his value I've heard so far. I actually like Haden in the "#3/4 mentoring younger CBs and playing in Dime packages" role. But that's about it at this point in his career. He's a great pro, great teammate, and knows the game, but physically he's just losing it at this point.

1 minute ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Man, you're just full of bad, vaguely anti-Cleveland takes recently (this and the Kyrie trade being awful for CLE).

Haden was terrible, and I mean teeeeerrible last year. He's always been trash against bigger receivers, but last year (and this preseason) his speed is just absolutely gone. So now he is a slow, small corner who struggles against both burners and tall WRs, I mean, who is he supposed to guard. And if your argument is, "well, he just didn't want to play for a losing team," then doesn't that invalidate all the talk about how much of a Pro and a great teammate he is?

I think @Raves has the most realistic idea of his value I've heard so far. I actually like Haden in the "#3/4 mentoring younger CBs and playing in Dime packages" role. But that's about it at this point in his career. He's a great pro, great teammate, and knows the game, but physically he's just losing it at this point.

I am not anti-Cleveland at all.  Show me where I said the Kyrie Irving trade was awful for Cleveland?  I'll wait.  I said the Boston Celtics won that trade, and in my opinion, they did.  How does that equate to me being anti-Cleveland?  As far as Joe Haden goes, I don't think he's ever been the elite CB some claimed he was earlier in his career, but I also don't think he is as terrible as people are saying he is right now.  My overall point was, if he gets into a fresh scenario on a good team that is winning, it could potentially light a fire under him.  Go to a team like the Patriots and he could have a career resurrection, in a sense.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

As far as Joe Haden goes, I don't think he's ever been the elite CB some claimed he was earlier in his career, but I also don't think he is as terrible as people are saying he is right now. 

And you now this how? Extensively watching the dude? You watch CLE games for fun? I would pity you in that case, admittedly.

I addressed your other point already. His physical break down from repeated injuries and getting older can't be magically fixed by going somewhere else.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

He's a shell of his former self. IMO, he never had elite athleticism but made up for it with solid technique and physicality for his size. Now that injuries have taken their toll, he's extremely slow, not very fluid, and his best chance of being successful is moving to FS or perhaps in the slot. He's not an outside corner anymore in my opinion. 

He is no where near physical enough to be a safety

1 minute ago, freakygeniuskid said:

And you now this how? Extensively watching the dude? You watch CLE games for fun? I would pity you in that case, admittedly.

I addressed your other point already. His physical break down from repeated injuries and getting older can't be magically fixed by going somewhere else.

Yes, I have watched Joe Haden throughout his entire NFL career and during his collegiate career with the Florida Gators.  Haden's play has regressed the past two-three years and this past year was the worst; however, I don't think he is that bad.  If he can stay healthy (big if), I think he can be an asset to a winning organization and make an impact.

Archived