Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

Don't like playing "what-if's" but if MVS and Shepherd catch those TD's that got popped up and picked the stat line since the Eagles game is:

106 for 157 / 66% / 1,376 YDS / 11 TD

Looks elite to me.

Then you have 2 Graham dropped TDs and some GMo drive killing drops in there too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Agreed. Give him some of the drops back versus Philly and Detroit and he's probably got 15-16 TDs and 0 INTs. (The Philly INT was more DPI than a drop but still MVS has to attack that ball a little more). 

Can you or anyone else please tell me why theirs so much disdain towards Rodgers? I mean, my god, pretty much any other team not named KC would LOVE him starting for them this year and there's people trashing him.

3 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Can you or anyone else please tell me why theirs so much disdain towards Rodgers? I mean, my god, pretty much any other team not named KC would LOVE him starting for them this year and there's people trashing him.

Boredom, mostly I think.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Perfection is expected of him and he's also not as "Wisconsin" relatable as Favre. He's not hunting and drinking beers. He likes music, golf and scotch.

Just now, Rainmaker90 said:

Rodgers played extremely poorly for his talent for a good three year stretch.  He had games and plays where he stood out, but for the most part, he was terrible from 2015-2018.  The only games he really played well in were against poor defenses.  Sunday was the first time since the first half of 2015 where he threw 5 touchdown passes. 

2018 - six games over 7.5 yards per attempt.
2017 - 1 game over 7.5 yards per attempt.
2016 7 games over 7.5 yards per attempt.
2015 - 6 games over 7.5 yards per attempt. 

2015 - 8 games UNDER 7 yards per attempt
2016 - 6 games UNDER 7 yards per attempt
2017 - 4 (out of 7) games UNDER 7 yards per attempt
2018 - 6 games UNDER 7 yards per attempt, including 4.7 yards per attempt against the worst team in football and the game that fired McCarthy.

Regardless of what people want to admit, Rodgers was closer to average over the past 3 years than good.  He was not a good QB for the past three years.  He had flashes of greatness, but for the most part he was not good, and that's in spite of all his incredible God-given ability. 

Thankfully, LaFleur was able to pinpoint his weaknesses and work on his strengths. 

I still believe Rodgers under McCarthy had an allergy to throwing checkdown passes, and I think it is very, very, very abundantly clear that he's been on checkdown Allegra this year.  He didn't suddenly start doing that, it was coaching.  Blame McCarthy all you want, but McCarthy isn't sitting there saying "Don't throw the checkdown, take forever and either throw it away or take a sack." 

There have been like 40 plays this year already that Rodgers doesn't make in the past three years.  This year, he sees an option to take yardage over a sack or throwaway, he takes it.  And that's opening things deep, opening things across the middle, opening things everywhere.

That 74 yard TD to MVS doesn't happen in recent years. 

Aaron Jones in the 7th game of this season already has a career high in receptions.
Jamaal Williams has 3 receiving touchdowns after 2 for the rest of his career.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Perfection is expected of him and he's also not as "Wisconsin" relatable as Favre. He's not hunting and drinking beers. He likes music, golf and scotch.

This isn't true and you know it. 

The most gifted QB of all-time should not play like an average QB for a three year stretch in a league where the most physically limited QB (Brady) puts up MVP numbers each year. 

Aaron's struggles had more to do with Aaron than anybody on this site except for maybe three are willing to admit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The most gifted QB of all-time should not play like an average QB for a three year stretch in a league where the most physically limited QB (Brady) puts up MVP numbers each year. 

Aaron's struggles had more to do with Aaron than anybody on this site except for maybe three are willing to admit. 

Really MM removed and within 7 weeks we see what seems to be old AR. Was MM on this site. And you talking about it didn’t make it happen lots of posters fans wanted him to see the underneath stuff again. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I for one am done going over this subject.  I'd rather watch a rerun of any preseason game than keep going on this.  Believers are going to believe, non believers aren't no matter what has transpired.  I don't give a crap if he's elite or not.  I give a crap that he's led us to a 6-1 record  and showing improvement.  Good day!

There's some truth to it.

Favre was may more marketable in WI than Rodgers is for those who care about that type of thing. WI residents want their QB to be a good ole boy that can kick back and throw down some Miller Lite with the boys. He's the most gifted QB of all time and people want to focus on his personal life. All I hear about from my family is how he doesn't talk to his parents, but not a peep about the MACC fund or giving the Cal Bears a state of the art locker room. 

And Favre had a drug problem FFS.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

This is the key .. Rodgers wanted coaching and he's getting it with LaFleur. 

Citation needed.  Look, let's not beat around the bush here.  The evidence is overwhelming that Rodgers openly questioned McCarthy and won a power struggle.  Nobody can deny that.  Then in the beginning with LaFleur, there's an early power struggle with passive aggressive shots from Rodgers.  The whole audible thing and more. 

LaFleur is a damn saint for his ability to navigate that persona.  It takes a very strong person to be able to juggle that kind of personality that meshes with everything that doesn't go their way.  LaFleur is doing it, and he did it in a way that makes Rodgers think Rodgers did it. 

The give and take needed to balance that is extraordinary.  Rodgers has already reached mythic levels of popularity, MVPs, extraordinary plays, etc.  It's one thing for a respected and established head coach to do that.  McCarthy couldn't.  It's quite another thing to be able to do that at only three years older than the person you're coaching. 

I was extremely nervous as soon as McCarthy was fired.  This could easily have turned into a McDaniels in Denver situation or a Kelly in Philadelphia situation.  New coaches do 1 of 2 things:

1. They make things better and move forward.
2. They completely destroy everything. 

LaFleur is obviously doing the former, and it's fun to watch. 

• Like 2

Just now, PACKRULE said:

Really MM removed and within 7 weeks we see what seems to be old AR. Was MM on this site. And you talking about it didn’t make it happen lots of posters fans wanted him to see the underneath stuff again. 

You can literally watch the progression of Rodgers into LaFleur's system from week 1.  He was doing the same damn things he was doing for the past three years in the first three weeks of the season.  Holding onto the ball, declining on open receivers, declining on open backs, throwing the ball away instead of giving players chances on deep balls. 

• Like 1

Citation needed.  Look, let's not beat around the bush here.  The evidence is overwhelming that Rodgers openly questioned McCarthy and won a power struggle.  Nobody can deny that.  Then in the beginning with LaFleur, there's an early power struggle with passive aggressive shots from Rodgers.  The whole audible thing and more. 

LaFleur is a damn saint for his ability to navigate that persona.  It takes a very strong person to be able to juggle that kind of personality that meshes with everything that doesn't go their way.  LaFleur is doing it, and he did it in a way that makes Rodgers think Rodgers did it. 

The give and take needed to balance that is extraordinary.  Rodgers has already reached mythic levels of popularity, MVPs, extraordinary plays, etc.  It's one thing for a respected and established head coach to do that.  McCarthy couldn't.  It's quite another thing to be able to do that at only three years older than the person you're coaching. 

I was extremely nervous as soon as McCarthy was fired.  This could easily have turned into a McDaniels in Denver situation or a Kelly in Philadelphia situation.  New coaches do 1 of 2 things:

1. They make things better and move forward.
2. They completely destroy everything. 

LaFleur is obviously doing the former, and it's fun to watch. 

Rodgers has said it in interviews as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018283/article/packers-qb-coach-aaron-rodgers-wants-to-be-coached

So because a player has a bad 20 game stretch we should start hating him? I don't disagree he wasn't as good in 2018, the expectation that he should be perfect always and that's why the opinions of him had turned so negative.