Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

Just now, Packerraymond said:

So because a player has a bad 20 game stretch we should start hating him? I don't disagree he wasn't as good in 2018, the expectation that he should be perfect always and that's why the opinions of him had turned so negative.

If a person is capable of being a world leader and instead works at Taco Bell, you should probably be critical of their life decisions.  Same thing goes for a QB.  

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So because a player has a bad 20 game stretch we should start hating him? I don't disagree he wasn't as good in 2018, the expectation that he should be perfect always and that's why the opinions of him had turned so negative.

He had a fairly serious leg injury thru much of that stretch .. may have really screwed with his mechanics a bit as well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You can literally watch the progression of Rodgers into LaFleur's system from week 1.  He was doing the same damn things he was doing for the past three years in the first three weeks of the season.  Holding onto the ball, declining on open receivers, declining on open backs, throwing the ball away instead of giving players chances on deep balls. 

Agreed the flaws he grew with piss poor coaching for the last 4 plus years take some time to fix.  As much as you ragged on AR for being the issue he got that way under MM and so did others. Go figure Clay is playing better under a new coach as well. MM was a huge part of the entire issue. 

36 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Rodgers played extremely poorly for his talent for a good three year stretch.  He had games and plays where he stood out, but for the most part, he was terrible from 2015-2018.  The only games he really played well in were against poor defenses.  Sunday was the first time since the first half of 2015 where he threw 5 touchdown passes. 

My God, how does someone look at 40 TDs and 7 Ints & a 104.2 passer rating in 2016 and think terrible for a QB? 2017 Rodgers and the Packers were 4-1 and he was playing very well prior to breaking his collar bone vs Min with a 106.1 passer rating, 13 TDs and 3 INTs.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RodgAa00/gamelog/2017/

So actually your bolded statement should be more like: " in 2015 Rodgers had an average season compared to his exceptional standards, and it was still statistically better than many QBs best career season with 31 TDs, 8 Ints, and a 92.7 passer rating".

2018 showed MM's system was stewed and his refusal to adapt or hire anyone with a fresh offensive approach. 2019 Rodgers and the GB offensive personal are evidence of that.

This isn't even dialog at this point, it's Skip Bayless level trolling for a reaction.

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No, but when a player has a bad 20 game stretch, it gets pointed out, and fans get extremely defensive about it, that garners some distaste.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, but when a player has a bad 20 game stretch, it gets pointed out, and fans get extremely defensive about it, that garners some distaste.

I think there's a difference between those that criticized him last year and deservedly so and those who I think have harbored resentment against him since the start. I do think there are those that just plain don't like him because he's much more Cali than he is WI.

I was more or less answering the original question about why some don't like him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

My God, how does someone look at 40 TDs and 7 Ints & a 104.2 passer rating in 2016 and think terrible for a QB? 2017 Rodgers and the Packers were 4-1 and he was playing very well prior to breaking his collar bone vs Min with a 106.1 passer rating, 13 TDs and 3 INTs.

So actually your bolded statement should be more like: " in 2015 Rodgers had an average season compared to his exceptional standards, and it was still statistically better than many QBs best career season with 31 TDs, 8 Ints, and a 92.7 passer rating".

2018 showed MM's system was stewed and his refusal to adapt or hire anyone with a fresh offensive approach. 2019 Rodgers and the GB offensive personal are evidence of that.

This isn't even dialog at this point, it's Skip Bayless level trolling for a reaction.

It took Sundays's game to push this years team above last year's team in PPG.

For all the attitude that it's a new day in GB, we're scoring 1 PPG more than our supposedly broken offense was through 7 games last year, and the only reason there's an advantage is because Crosby had his nuclear meltdown game.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Sorry, just can't help myself.  Don't mind you pointing out a bad 20 game stretch at all.  What I dislike is than ignoring/not respecting all the other games he wasn't bad.  Every frickin qb in the league has had a stretch of games for whatever reason isn't on top of his game.  Now, I'm done … maybe 

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Same goes the other way when the guy gets no exceptions for others part in his play its okay. We should accept your take but you don’t have to accept another’s. 

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Rodgers during the run the table stretch in 2016 might have been the best 2 months of QB-ing the NFL has ever seen. I find it odd that so many forget about it. TyMon destroying the Bears (much like Jones did to Dallas) is the only thing that keeps those numbers from being tough to achieve even in a video game.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Rodgers played extremely poorly for his talent for a good three year stretch.  He had games and plays where he stood out, but for the most part, he was terrible from 2015-2018.  The only games he really played well in were against poor defenses.  Sunday was the first time since the first half of 2015 where he threw 5 touchdown passes. 

2018 - six games over 7.5 yards per attempt.
2017 - 1 game over 7.5 yards per attempt.
2016 7 games over 7.5 yards per attempt.
2015 - 6 games over 7.5 yards per attempt. 

2015 - 8 games UNDER 7 yards per attempt
2016 - 6 games UNDER 7 yards per attempt
2017 - 4 (out of 7) games UNDER 7 yards per attempt
2018 - 6 games UNDER 7 yards per attempt, including 4.7 yards per attempt against the worst team in football and the game that fired McCarthy.

Regardless of what people want to admit, Rodgers was closer to average over the past 3 years than good.  He was not a good QB for the past three years.  He had flashes of greatness, but for the most part he was not good, and that's in spite of all his incredible God-given ability. 

Thankfully, LaFleur was able to pinpoint his weaknesses and work on his strengths. 

I still believe Rodgers under McCarthy had an allergy to throwing checkdown passes, and I think it is very, very, very abundantly clear that he's been on checkdown Allegra this year.  He didn't suddenly start doing that, it was coaching.  Blame McCarthy all you want, but McCarthy isn't sitting there saying "Don't throw the checkdown, take forever and either throw it away or take a sack." 

There have been like 40 plays this year already that Rodgers doesn't make in the past three years.  This year, he sees an option to take yardage over a sack or throwaway, he takes it.  And that's opening things deep, opening things across the middle, opening things everywhere.

That 74 yard TD to MVS doesn't happen in recent years. 

Aaron Jones in the 7th game of this season already has a career high in receptions.
Jamaal Williams has 3 receiving touchdowns after 2 for the rest of his career.

You are ignoring significant, and I mean significant circumstances.

1.  Two major injuries ( don't say last year wasn't major because he played)

2. Coaching was a problem- If you don't believe it, than idk what to tell you.

3. 3 years? You cannot count this year. This year he's playing damn fine ball. It takes time learning a new system, and he played some great defenses. 

4. Let's not act like he's had the proper supporting cast. The Wrs outside of Davante are below average (MVS eh average maybe), they're young not high draft picks. Cobb was terrible. The guards were dreadful. Mac refused to play Jones. The TEs were/are terrible.

Take everything into account and it tells a more detailed story. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It took Sundays's game to push this years team above last year's team in PPG.

For all the attitude that it's a new day in GB, we're scoring 1 PPG more than our supposedly broken offense was through 7 games last year, and the only reason there's an advantage is because Crosby had his nuclear meltdown game.

You're well over your average this week of statistical posts out of context. I'm pretty sure we lead or are top 5 in this stat this year. You do have to factor in opponents when using PPG stats FYI.

• Like 1