Seahawks extend Russell Wilson QB with a new Contract

49erurtaza

36 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Has less to do with Wilson, more to do with Garropolo. His injury history is pretty scary, considering he's never started an entire season. 

He's really only had 1 season where he was slotted to be the starting QB, and that was on a non-contact injury trying to get extra yards.  Hardly what I'd consider a pause for concern.

42 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Has less to do with Wilson, more to do with Garropolo. His injury history is pretty scary, considering he's never started an entire season. 

to be fair, hes only had an opportunity to start an entire season one time in his career, at which point he tore his ACL in a non-contact injury (tore the ACL before he went out of bounds and before he took the hit).

The only other injury he had was when he landed awkwardly on his throwing shoulder after throwing a ball while getting driven to the turf. That could happen to anyone who falls with their arm extended and at DLman's weight on them.

I don't think its really fair to call him injury prone at this point. 

22 minutes ago, N4L said:

to be fair, hes only had an opportunity to start an entire season one time in his career, at which point he tore his ACL in a non-contact injury (tore the ACL before he went out of bounds and before he took the hit).

The only other injury he had was when he landed awkwardly on his throwing shoulder after throwing a ball while getting driven to the turf. That could happen to anyone who falls with their arm extended and at DLman's weight on them.

I don't think its really fair to call him injury prone at this point. 

But when compared to a guy who hasn't missed a start since 2012, I think it holds some weight. 

It's similar to Deshaun Watson - he's not "injury prone" but I hold my breath, simply because I've seen a season lost because he's hurt.

Paying a great qb that kind of money isnt crippling, but it makes it harder to win a Superbowl (in theory your qb should keep you in contention). Paying a bad qb (flacco) that kind of money is crippling bc the qb isnt keeping you in contention with his play alone.

10 hours ago, theJ said:

I mean someone who can come up with a system that isn't reliant on a QB to win games.  Some other way to play offense without a traditional "quarterback".

I think the trouble with this concept, is any kind of offensive structure, or even team structure, that isn't going to be QB heavy to win games, is going to prioritize several positions instead of the one, so the financial hit winds up being heavy anyways. The Chiefs had a few years where they were very competitive with mediocre QB play, but to do that they were paying multiple elite guys on defense elite money in order to keep it going. We weren't paying a QB $35M, but our LB corp cost that much, and was arguably less impactful than an elite QB.

And even if someone comes up with a scheme or system or team structure that doesn't require a highly paid QB, the market will adjust. If someone can find a way to structure an offense around two athletic RBs, or something, other teams will copy, RB contracts will increase, and the market will bring it to the same place. QBs are only this expensive because they carry that value. If anything else starts to replicate that value, they'll get that expensive too.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I think the trouble with this concept, is any kind of offensive structure, or even team structure, that isn't going to be QB heavy to win games, is going to prioritize several positions instead of the one, so the financial hit winds up being heavy anyways. The Chiefs had a few years where they were very competitive with mediocre QB play, but to do that they were paying multiple elite guys on defense elite money in order to keep it going. We weren't paying a QB $35M, but our LB corp cost that much, and was arguably less impactful than an elite QB.

And even if someone comes up with a scheme or system or team structure that doesn't require a highly paid QB, the market will adjust. If someone can find a way to structure an offense around two athletic RBs, or something, other teams will copy, RB contracts will increase, and the market will bring it to the same place. QBs are only this expensive because they carry that value. If anything else starts to replicate that value, they'll get that expensive too.

Agreed. 

The wild cat got wins for a while then it stopped working after year. 

Lamar jackson got shut down by the chargers in the playoffs. 

All systems can get shut down  the only chance to consistently win is good QB play. 

Would you rather an average qb and a great running back and a great wr or a great qb and average weapons. Easily the qb.

This was what everyone expected, and the #s are, again, what everyone expected.

People keep saying all year, that the new top QB deal will surpass the older ones, but always act surprised when it actually happens.... never gonna understand that one.

Top QBs are underpaid still TBH and the rapid increase in QB pay reflects that.

It’s kind of insane that signing one elite defensive lineman and one good defensive lineman combined costs as much as paying the top QB. Or that the top receivers and offensive tackles make half of what top QBs do. 

If you signed three All Star OL or DB it would cost more than an elite QB when virtually everyone would take the QB.

Archived