Pick is in, #4 Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson

true2form

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Yep back in January, and Early February, myself, @big_palooka, @raidr4life, and at least 3-4 others wanted Ferrell at 4. He’s a great EDGE Defender and I’ve been on record too many times saying he’ll be a better Brandon Graham. Graham was #3 in Run Defense, #3 in Pressures in 2018, and PFFs Top 50 for six years in a row. 

As the draft season goes by you look for more flashy picks for pick 4, human nature. But Ferrell is 100% legit Top 10 Prospect. 

I wanted him too

5. Devin White MLB, is usually not considered great value in the top 5. Great prospect, but would not trust him to develop to his potential behind our DL minus Ferrell.

6. Daniel Jones, QB Massive reach, no explanation needed.

7. Josh Allen, OLB, highly productive. Does not fit scheme. Would not hold up as a 4-3 Base End in Guenther's defense

8. TJ Hockenson, great TE prospect, but TE at 4 is a reach.

9. Ed Oliver, high on a lot of peoples boards. A little too much of a luxury pick imo. Probably the one pick that I will say we passed on.

10. Devin Bush, 2nd Best MLB prospect

11. Jonah Williams, tweener OL prospect. Just paid TB and drafted Kolton.

12. Rashan Gary, EDGE classic boom or bust with little production.

My point is, everyone is talking about value. Where do you see value, we passed on some good/great prospects, yes.But, a lot of these prospects either, didn't fit our scheme, were considered luxury picks or play at a less than premium position. We picked up the number #2 DE(premium position) in the draft, that fits our system like a glove. Is he a perfect prospect? no! But he has the size, skill set, production and character that our FO is looking for. Hes steps into camp as our best DL and will elevate our defense. Wasn't flashy, but the kid was productive for 3 years on a two time National Champion. More than anything, I love the fact that Mayock didn't flinch and took his guy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

One play isn't dominating. I haven't fully re-watched the matchup, but I remember hearing on some podcast that Jonah really won the day, but just not that play. Jonah himself said he tried to do something different to Clelin on that play and he felt completely comfortable one every other snap.

I've tried to get behind this pick and I just can't. I don't see anything special in the guy to warrant the #4 overall pick--especially with Josh Allen still on the board. This seems like a Guenther pick through and through.

Watch the video I just posted. Ferrell beats him most plays.

• Like 1

First off,  yes I was one of the posters who liked Ferrell for sure.  We know mayock wanted to squire more picks but the value Prolly wasn't there, or possibly they thought trading back past 10/12 risks losing him to another team,  and I'll almost guarantee that there were plenty of teams who liked him. The press loves story, the league loves production,  character, leadership etc. He was a great fit,  low risk,  super solid pick. I liked sweat,  but is a potential serious heart condition at 4? And white? Great talent, and I've been wanting a kickass mlb forever it seems, but how quickly everyone forgets how 3/4weeks ago this young man was running his lips about his next big contract.  Maybe that kind of personality/attitude isn't such a good match for sin city. He worked Jonah Williams a@# in the biggest game on the biggest stage, period.  Khalil has unreal bend and super strength for his size,  unfair to compare or want Ferrell to be a hof generational replacement. No one could ever be LT, REGGIE WHITE, DERRICK THOMAS.  Thats unrealistic and unfair. HOFers are 1 of a kinds plain and simple. I'm also happy that we A)didnt pick a QB  B)give up picks for one particular player out of a DEEP positional pool and C) made all the half *** reporters reporters look stupid and  used them as well (we were in love with Hawkins was totally fed to them) good job staying the course,  and weathering / navigating the hatestorm media and sticking to your board,  loved the Jacobs pick, wish Abram was Adderley instead.  Winovich or Eisner at 35 for me, or better yet trade spots with Miami if lock is there,  then grab one of those 2. And Mack Wilson possibly with the extra pick. 

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yep back in January, and Early February, myself, @big_palooka, @raidr4life, and at least 3-4 others wanted Ferrell at 4. He’s a great EDGE Defender and I’ve been on record too many times saying he’ll be a better Brandon Graham. Graham was #3 in Run Defense, #3 in Pressures in 2018, and PFFs Top 50 for six years in a row. 

As the draft season goes by you look for more flashy picks for pick 4, human nature. But Ferrell is 100% legit Top 10 Prospect. 

I would agree that Graham is a good comparison although I think Graham is smaller but more athletic and Ferrell will have a very hard time getting the pressure Graham does.

38 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I like all three quotes. I’m big on motivational quotes myself. 

You guys will love Clelin Ferrell, the person, imo. 

Maybe it is just my age but I dislike motivational quotes.  To many people like to hide their deficiencies by distracting others with words.  Keep your quotes and run a forty and then get to work.  If he can run 4.7 he has a good chance of transitioning to the pro level.  If he runs 4.9-5.0 then I need to laugh a little bit to hold back the tears.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Maybe it is just my age but I dislike motivational quotes.  To many people like to hide their deficiencies by distracting others with words.  Keep your quotes and run a forty and then get to work.  If he can run 4.7 he has a good chance of transitioning to the pro level.  If he runs 4.9-5.0 then I need to laugh a little bit to hold back the tears.  

Yeah the quotes are great and It’s obvious he’s a great guy ..... but is he going to be bringing down Mahomes and other QBs ? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Yeah the quotes are great and It’s obvious he’s a great guy ..... but is he going to be bringing down Mahomes and other QBs ? 

That is my issue.  I do not know if he can get there in time and if he breaks containment, we know Key will be on the other side, does he have the required burst to chase him down.  He looks slow on tape, did not run 40 so no way of quantifying speed, and scouts knock him for a lack of burst to finish the play.  3 huge red flags about the reason why we drafted him.  That is not someone you draft at 4 and I am someone that really likes him.  This pick is so safe it is risky if that makes since.  Worst case scenario this is a Ty Detmer type pick.  A guy that did everything well in college at a very high level but his physical limitations were enough that the talent level in the pros was able to take away everything he wanted to do.

• Like 1

Agree with you guys. I feel pretty confident Hurst is most likely to be our best DL. The might open it up for the other guys, but I just don't see Ferrell as a top rusher kind of guy. Which is part of why I'm not a big fan of the pick. Sometimes he looks like he's running in mud. Doesn't pop off the screen like the more athletic players do. And to be the best of the best (which is what you're after with a top 5 pick), you need to keep up physically. I'd love for him to prove me wrong but I just don't see him as a 12 sack a year kind of guy.

• Like 1