1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

You believe it is "cheaper", but is it?  If I'm Gary's agent, right now I'll ink a long term deal.  It will start with his 5'th year option, then include 2 years of the franchise tag, then go up from there.  I believe it is a fallacy to think that he will be "cheap" now.

I see no reason to treat him differently than we did Alexander.   He will get his money when it is time.  It's just not quite time, yet.  Alexander played at a high level right away and was very consistent.  Gary has been eased into the defense.  Now it is his time to shine.  And when he does?  Then you pay him, handsomely.  

Not even Murray got a deal prior to his 5'th year.  In fact, has anyone from the 2019 draft class gotten a new deal yet????

No need to take that risk right now.

If we had done Alexader one year prior it would have cost around the same us Humphrey, 19.5M. We already knew he was a Top CB and in fact he did miss almost all season, so not resigning him one year prior was not ideal. Besides, by doing it yo get to give less guarantees, as the total amount would have included the 4th year in the contract. You take a risk, but by doing so you give the player nearly 10% less than if you do it next year.

Oh, and this year you have Nick Bosa, Brian Burns and Josh Allen getting new deals, you gotta do yours prior to those.

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Look at Miller's guaranteed 51.4M, and he's OLD.  

It was 45 fully guaranteed, which is the only type of guarantees the Packers give. Miller's contract is a really bad one from a team perspective. It's better to look at Maxx Crosby's contract, as he got a 4Y/99M contract with 26M fully guaranteed. They've been similar performers, but due to Gary's 1st round pick status he should get a bit more.

25 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

It was 45 fully guaranteed, which is the only type of guarantees the Packers give. Miller's contract is a really bad one from a team perspective. It's better to look at Maxx Crosby's contract, as he got a 4Y/99M contract with 26M fully guaranteed. They've been similar performers, but due to Gary's 1st round pick status he should get a bit more.

Crosby also has guarantees coming on the 3rd day of the 2023 league year

2023 base salary ($7.5M) and roster bonus ($10M)

2024 base salary ($19M)

While not " fully" guaranteed in wording, it's not far off.  

13 hours ago, vegas492 said:

No way he is inking a deal now.  No reason for us to offer one, either.  

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.  He's not an idiot.  He already knows this is life-changing money not only for him and his parents, but his future kids and their future kids.

7 hours ago, squire12 said:

Crosby also has guarantees coming on the 3rd day of the 2023 league year

2023 base salary ($7.5M) and roster bonus ($10M)

2024 base salary ($19M)

While not " fully" guaranteed in wording, it's not far off. 

Yes, but new contracts use previous ones as a benchmark and take previous full guarantees as on eof the main references together with cash flow. Mahomes' contract is structured in such a way that basically his entire contract is guaranteed (except for the incentives), and no one talks about the 450M being guaranteed.

Just tell me who from that draft class has inked a new deal.  It is full of stars in the first round.  Find me one that has signed a new deal and I'll get on board with the theory that Gary would actually sign one.

Until that happens, it is fun to think it would cost less to sign him now.  But not likely.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Just tell me who from that draft class has inked a new deal.  It is full of stars in the first round.  Find me one that has signed a new deal and I'll get on board with the theory that Gary would actually sign one.

Until that happens, it is fun to think it would cost less to sign him now.  But not likely.

Right, the player nor the team should want to do a deal now and won't. The only ones wanting a deal now is a handful of fans who think they could hoodwink Gary with a new deal now only to have a disgruntled player holding out for a trade or new deal a few years down the road. There is nothing wrong with paying one the Packer stars market value when the time is right, it's better than having a Bakhtiari type contract right now. It's a physical game and players get hurt, no need to be eating 20M+ a year for a player not playing. 

38 minutes ago, R T said:

Right, the player nor the team should want to do a deal now and won't. The only ones wanting a deal now is a handful of fans who think they could hoodwink Gary with a new deal now only to have a disgruntled player holding out for a trade or new deal a few years down the road. There is nothing wrong with paying one the Packer stars market value when the time is right, it's better than having a Bakhtiari type contract right now. It's a physical game and players get hurt, no need to be eating 20M+ a year for a player not playing. 

I agree.

But, it does make fandom sense to want to lock him up now, when he could be less expensive than what he will be in a year or two.  I get that.  I even get that if GB made him a lucrative offer, Gary should take it as it is life altering money.

But if it is life altering, I guess I don't feel that it will be much different than the deal he will earn after this season.

But really, we have Gary for 3 years of control, should we wish to take full advantage of the 5'th year option and 2 franchise tags.  We won't do that, but it is there.

Dude is gonna get paid, probably big time within the next 12-15 months.

On 6/8/2022 at 8:31 AM, vegas492 said:

By that logic, nobody would sign an extension.  And it's not going to come "cheap" in the sense that we're going to pay 50 cents on the dollar, but it's better than paying $1.25 a year from now if you can sign him for 85 cents now.

• Like 2