1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

In two years they are on the verge of the new TV deal and you won't be able to touch him for what you can know. I'd EXTEND him 5 for 110 right now. You wait and he plays well and it's 4 at 120, at least. 

You don't know what you will or will not touch him for.  It depends on how well he plays and if he can remain healthy.

No need to give up that precious control early.

We don't know what the future cap really holds.  We know it is going up.  We also know that we have a few older vets who could be gone and clear some space.  

JA played better, earlier, than Gary.  And here we are, we let him play out his rookie deal and now we are onto the option year.  While negotiating.  I see no reason to deviate from that path for Gary.

What you are doing by letting him play out his deal and using the option year is mitigating risk.  Injury risk.  And you want to see continued development.  Again, Gary has been meh as a rookie.  Okay as a second year rotational kid.  And quite good in his third year.  Dude has 16.5 sacks in 3 years right now, after posting 9.5 last year.  It isn't like he set the league on fire.  He's doing exactly what we hoped he would do, now he just has to keep doing it.

Want to know why you don't do that extension right now?  Bradley Chubb.  12, 1, 7.5, 0.  20.5 sacks over 4 years.  And the injury hit.  Not sure what he is or what he is worth now.  Gonna give him that extension after one year because he looked unstoppable?  Nope.  Wait it out, be patient.

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Pay the man now. You'll save 5 million or more a year if you extend him now! The price is going to keep going up each year we wait. 

Yeah so he can sit out in two years begging for a new deal because he's underpaid, if he plays like you expect.

You pay attention to the NFL lately?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Norm said:

You can't force the dude to extend. 

I wouldn't if I was his agent. 

This is definitely the case. His focus is on increasing his value when more right now so he can sign for 30m+ in two seasons

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You don't know what you will or will not touch him for.  It depends on how well he plays and if he can remain healthy.

No need to give up that precious control early.

We don't know what the future cap really holds.  We know it is going up.  We also know that we have a few older vets who could be gone and clear some space.  

JA played better, earlier, than Gary.  And here we are, we let him play out his rookie deal and now we are onto the option year.  While negotiating.  I see no reason to deviate from that path for Gary.

What you are doing by letting him play out his deal and using the option year is mitigating risk.  Injury risk.  And you want to see continued development.  Again, Gary has been meh as a rookie.  Okay as a second year rotational kid.  And quite good in his third year.  Dude has 16.5 sacks in 3 years right now, after posting 9.5 last year.  It isn't like he set the league on fire.  He's doing exactly what we hoped he would do, now he just has to keep doing it.

Want to know why you don't do that extension right now?  Bradley Chubb.  12, 1, 7.5, 0.  20.5 sacks over 4 years.  And the injury hit.  Not sure what he is or what he is worth now.  Gonna give him that extension after one year because he looked unstoppable?  Nope.  Wait it out, be patient.

You have to be kidding yourself if you don't think Gary is going to be paid at or near the top of the EDGE rushers. Now, over the long haul, it's cheaper than it will be in two years. 

As for Alexander, look at the situation we are in now. We don't seem to be able to come to terms with him because he wants a lot more than we seem willing to offer, currently. Might be time to learn from your mistakes. 

On 4/11/2022 at 6:25 PM, Norm said:

You can't force the dude to extend. 

I wouldn't if I was his agent. 

IF you give the man his market value, which I suggested with a five for 120, his agent would be stupid not to take it. Again, that would depend on how much GB is willing to guarantee of course. Injuries do happen so the agent would be happy to take that contract, in theory 2 years earlier than he would get it. 

Gary is going to make 2.66 million this year over and above his bonus money he already got. You don't think his agent would do cartwheels if GB guaranteed 50% of his deal or more? 

LOL

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

IF you give the man his market value, which I suggested with a five for 120, his agent would stupid not to take it. Again, that would depend on how much GB is willing to guarantee of course. Injuries do happen so the agent would be happy to take that contract, in theory 2 years earlier than he would get it. 

Gary is going to make 2.66 million this year over and above his bonus money he already got. You don't think his agent would do cartwheels if GB guaranteed 50% of his deal or more? 

LOL

Players bet on themselves every year, Gary could easily want to wait for another season of contract increases.

On 4/11/2022 at 8:21 PM, Packerraymond said:

Players bet on themselves every year, Gary could easily want to wait for another season of contract increases.

He could, but when you factor in the cost of money, taking the deal now would about be a wash since he'd get a nice chunk two to three years in advance. We could tag him in year six of his current deal. That number in three years is likely only slightly about the 22 million average of the deal I was proposing currently.  

It's actually a no brainer for Gary's team should the Packers offer. 

Edited by Old Guy

14 hours ago, Old Guy said:

You have to be kidding yourself if you don't think Gary is going to be paid at or near the top of the EDGE rushers. Now, over the long haul, it's cheaper than it will be in two years. 

As for Alexander, look at the situation we are in now. We don't seem to be able to come to terms with him because he wants a lot more than we seem willing to offer, currently. Might be time to learn from your mistakes. 

I never said Gary wouldn't be paid near the top of EDGE rushers.  Did say that it is relative on two things over the next year to two years.  Injuries and production.  Gary has produced one good season out of 3 so far.  Which is perfectly fine.

Would you have extended Chubb after his first year that was much more impressive than anything Gary has done in 3 years? 

Again, injuries derail careers.  There is simply no need to extend him now.  He's gotta prove it this year and then we can figure out the option year.  It is really no big deal.  And part of the business of the NFL that the players agreed to.

29 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I never said Gary wouldn't be paid near the top of EDGE rushers.  Did say that it is relative on two things over the next year to two years.  Injuries and production.  Gary has produced one good season out of 3 so far.  Which is perfectly fine.

Would you have extended Chubb after his first year that was much more impressive than anything Gary has done in 3 years? 

Again, injuries derail careers.  There is simply no need to extend him now.  He's gotta prove it this year and then we can figure out the option year.  It is really no big deal.  And part of the business of the NFL that the players agreed to.

Besides, his cap hit this year is 5 M, next year with the tag is 10,9 M. Barring crazy structures like Rodgers' there's not a lot of room to give him a huge signing bonus (which obviously he'd want) without shooting ourselves in the foot. Next year maybe.

On 1/19/2022 at 11:14 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

You and I had basically identical reports on draft day lol

They're mad I said Gary sucked as a rookie and that I said he was currently around the 15th best edge rusher in the league. 

Apparently those were blasphemous statements.

The irony here is I do kinda feel Gary's in danger of being overrated now, despite being in the crowd wanting you burned for heresy.  Dude's a stud full stop, but he benefits a lot from having Preston on the other side and Clark in the middle.  He can't really be the focus of opposing game plans, so we haven't seen how he plays when the other side is looking to take him out of the equation, and there's almost always complementary pressure coming from two other angles.  This isn't to denigrate the player he is, I'm still on team "He's Top 10" because the talent is real and he plays to it down in and down out; it's just a reminder that his numbers are going to pop in a way that's arguably above his current refinement level because he's in a great situation as well. 

I still haven't seen him really set up and execute an inside counter move, still haven't really seen a stutter and go outside rush, still haven't seen him start inside and counter outside, etc.  His SF game was heartening to me because it was the first time I remember seeing a consistent long arm, and it was hilarious how effective it was; that's the kind of thing that he's capable of doing with every technique.  It just takes time and experience, feeling it when it hits right, learning how to pick the right move depending on down/distance/OL stance/tendencies of that specific lineman.  Easy to forget how young he is and Michigan did him no favors in his development, but he's on the right path now for sure.  Just needs to stay the course and keep the fire burning.

• Like 3