1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

13 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Is Gary an elite OLB? He showed up more than Preston or Clark. He’s definitely an impact guy. Elite though?

This is a big year for Gary. 26M per year is realistic if he has an even better 2022 than 2021. 

I don’t know how we’re going to afford everyone. Geeze we have a lot of high paid players. 

His pressure numbers show he's on the verge of elite. His sack numbers may not have been there but he missed a few that were within grasp. Also playing through that injury sold me on him kid is a player. 

Think I'd gamble and lock him up now. If he tears it up he's asking for Bosa money which may be 30+. When you pick up 5th year options that means you want that player long term. Might as well lock him up now before he plays himself out of your budget.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vegas492 said:

That would be a horrible trade.  Unless it was Bosa and Deebo for Gary and a second.

Seattle doesn't have anything to rush the passer that I would want.

An elite EDGE is far more valuable than a WR.

But an elite WR is far more valuable than a corner like JA.

Agreed .. there would have to be players/picks added than a one for one trade.  Wasn't very clear at all on that.  I hope Gary becomes an elite edge.

• 2 weeks later...

The defense in its second year under Berry should more assignment sure. 

The secondary of

Alexander (back after injury)

Stokes (in his second year)

Savage 

Amos

Rasul (2nd year in the defense)

Should be improved from a year ago. That means more coverage sacks for Gary. 

The LB core of 

Campbell (2nd year in defense)

Walker (athletic, long, talented young pass defender with pass rush potential. Walkers pass defense potential goes up playing next to veterans at safety and ILB. They should help him be on the right assignments early.)

Barnes (run defense sub packages)

Should be improved from a year ago. This improvement should also contribute to the coverage type sacks that Gary could get in 2022.

The interior defense line rotation of Clark, Wyatt, Reed,  Lowry and Slaton (2nd year) should improve interior pass rush, forcing the QBs into Gary’s path more often. This should improve Gary’s sack numbers. 

Looking at the consistent pressure of Gary last year. Looking at the improved back 7 and improved interior DL…. It’s reasonable to think Gary could get 15+ sacks in 2022. 

Like someone said above…. Re sign him now to a top 5 contract before he demands a top 1 or 2 contract a year from now.

Edited by JordanLoveFTW
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Again, why re-up Gary now when we have 2 seasons of control left?

I can get doing it next off-season.  But let's see what he is now, and whether or not he can remain healthy.

Because it is much much cheaper to do it that way, though you are taking a bigger risk.

• Like 1

I'm in the re-sign now camp but I understand the hesitation from others. My eye for it isn't well trained, but he seems pretty maxed out. Those guys always get the nagging injuries eventually. It's a risky extension. Could be a HoFer if it all starts to click and he stays healthy though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Because it is much much cheaper to do it that way, though you are taking a bigger risk.

You believe it is "cheaper", but is it?  If I'm Gary's agent, right now I'll ink a long term deal.  It will start with his 5'th year option, then include 2 years of the franchise tag, then go up from there.  I believe it is a fallacy to think that he will be "cheap" now.

I see no reason to treat him differently than we did Alexander.   He will get his money when it is time.  It's just not quite time, yet.  Alexander played at a high level right away and was very consistent.  Gary has been eased into the defense.  Now it is his time to shine.  And when he does?  Then you pay him, handsomely.  

Not even Murray got a deal prior to his 5'th year.  In fact, has anyone from the 2019 draft class gotten a new deal yet????

No need to take that risk right now.

6 hours ago, VonKarman said:

I'd offer him a 104M/4Y extension with 32M guaranteed for a total of 117.5M/6Y so that effectively you are giving the guy only 18.5M of new guaranteed money and see if he bites.

Look at Miller's guaranteed 51.4M, and he's OLD.  

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

You believe it is "cheaper", but is it?  If I'm Gary's agent, right now I'll ink a long term deal.  It will start with his 5'th year option, then include 2 years of the franchise tag, then go up from there.  I believe it is a fallacy to think that he will be "cheap" now.

I see no reason to treat him differently than we did Alexander.   He will get his money when it is time.  It's just not quite time, yet.  Alexander played at a high level right away and was very consistent.  Gary has been eased into the defense.  Now it is his time to shine.  And when he does?  Then you pay him, handsomely.  

Not even Murray got a deal prior to his 5'th year.  In fact, has anyone from the 2019 draft class gotten a new deal yet????

No need to take that risk right now.

It will be cheaper to sign him now for sure. That's exactly why I'm not talking contract if I'm Gary until next off-season. Easy candidate to bet on himself, really can only go up unless an Achilles or ACL. Look at Jaire, barely played and still is the #1 CB. If I'm Gary I'm going to go out there and get 12-15 sacks and wait for Nick Bosa to sign and ask for the same thing. He's going to be real expensive if you wait, but we don't have much of a choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

It will be cheaper to sign him now for sure. That's exactly why I'm not talking contract if I'm Gary until next off-season. Easy candidate to bet on himself, really can only go up unless an Achilles or ACL. Look at Jaire, barely played and still is the #1 CB. If I'm Gary I'm going to go out there and get 12-15 sacks and wait for Nick Bosa to sign and ask for the same thing. He's going to be real expensive if you wait, but we don't have much of a choice.

It is very easy to say "he will be cheaper now" without understanding Gary's side and his agent.  

No way he is inking a deal now.  No reason for us to offer one, either.  

About the only way I could see something working, now, would be to give him Miller's contract.  50's guaranteed over 6 years.  120M+ over 6.  

We would have to overpay him now with the hope that he continues to get better and be a "deal" a few years into that contract.  And if that is the case, then be prepared to an extension or restructure to give him more money.

As you said, it is far more likely that he goes the way of Alexander.  Which is fine.  Just fine.

Gary is in the sports agency business, so you can bet he'll be very involved in when negotiations start. He won't just be a guy taking whatever advice his agent gives him. I agree that there is little motivation for either side to work on an extension right now.