1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm no expert on hand movement but this video looks like a guy with no real plan. Again, would love somebody with more knowledge of the subject but are his arms supposed to be flailing away like that? I guess I would assume there would be more precise movement when you need to chop down as opposed to all, what appears to be wasted motion. 

It's not really a hand usage drill

They're working on an inside out jump step/cut thing. But from the first bit, he's sweeping the blocker's left arm down with his left arm. That's correct. He's using that provided leverage to turn his hips quickly to flatten off, that's when he's going through the ladder rungs. That's correct from a technique perspective and very impressive athletically

The 300 degree bag turn is about change of direction, not hand usage. The penni ****** is just all about getting low in his bend. 

Gary's hand usage is hard to practice at anything other than full speed. His bread and butter is his late punch bull rush, and his next development step to that are some late sweeps and a tricep grab. Unfortunately those are all things that really need to be practiced as you're mashing facemasks.

What he's doing here is working on a counter to when people over play his power. If a tackle drops his hips early in anticipation for the power rush, he should use this to side step him, counter the hands, and flatten off. I don't necessarily think Gary is there yet from a recognition and experience stand point, but it's a good counter to have in the bag if he guesses right 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not really a hand usage drill

They're working on an inside out jump step/cut thing. But from the first bit, he's sweeping the blocker's left arm down with his left arm. That's correct. He's using that provided leverage to turn his hips quickly to flatten off, that's when he's going through the ladder rungs. That's correct from a technique perspective and very impressive athletically

The 300 degree bag turn is about change of direction, not hand usage. The penni ****** is just all about getting low in his bend. 

Gary's hand usage is hard to practice at anything other than full speed. His bread and butter is his late punch bull rush, and his next development step to that are some late sweeps and a tricep grab. Unfortunately those are all things that really need to be practiced as you're mashing facemasks.

What he's doing here is working on a counter to when people over play his power. If a tackle drops his hips early in anticipation for the power rush, he should use this to side step him, counter the hands, and flatten off. I don't necessarily think Gary is there yet from a recognition and experience stand point, but it's a good counter to have in the bag if he guesses right 

Thanks! He looked out of sorts to me with his arms flailing about. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

He didn't look 270-275 to me.  I hope he's still that large and moving like that.  Odds are, he is and just doesn't look it.

He looks so much different than he did as a rookie.  Much leaner.

I thought he would be around 8-10 sacks a year when he hit his prime.  Now?  I think that bar gets moved up a tick.  Just because he looks better, but also because he's got a great secondary behind him.  Gary doesn't win all that quick, like with a jet get off, but he should feast when the QB holds it a tick because of the coverage.

On 4/25/2019 at 8:48 PM, GWH87 said:

This is a joke right?....... what a waste. Lazy, unmotivated and over talented dude that will spell Jamal Reynolds all over again

Gute let TT back in the room for the pick?

looking back at all the initial reactions when we picked Gary and this was one the funniest. Don't know if this person is still on the board but I'd be curious to hear how his crow taste today 😋 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

looking back at all the initial reactions when we picked Gary and this was one the funniest. Don't know if this person is still on the board but I'd be curious to hear how his crow taste today 😋 

I slapped a little Frank's Red Hot on mine.  Dipped it in Ranch, as God intended, and it tasted pretty fine.

• Like 1

In reading the first few pages.....Burns and Sweat were talked about.

Lets look at the 3.

Burns:  48 games played.  35 games started. 133 combined tackles.  25.5 sacks.  55 QB hits. 6 forced fumbles.

Sweat:  42 games played.  42 games started.  119 combined tackles.  21 sacks.  46 QB hits.  7 forced fumbles.

Gary:  47 games played.  20 games started.  103 combined tackles.  16.5 sacks.  42 QB hits.  2 forced fumbles.

All I can say is "wow, have I ever underestimed Gary".

Dude was playing behind Z and P with far fewer games started, and though I didn't look it up, probably a lot less snaps played.  And still is right there in QB hits.  Sacks are great, but hits impact the game too.

Fair question...moving forward for the next 4 years, who yah got?  Burns, Sweat or Gary?  I do love me some Burns, but I think Gary is going to be the much better player very quickly.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Lets look at the 3.

Burns:  48 games played.  35 games started. 133 combined tackles.  25.5 sacks.  55 QB hits. 6 forced fumbles.

Sweat:  42 games played.  42 games started.  119 combined tackles.  21 sacks.  46 QB hits.  7 forced fumbles.

Gary:  47 games played.  20 games started.  103 combined tackles.  16.5 sacks.  42 QB hits.  2 forced fumbles.

Dude was playing behind Z and P with far fewer games started, and though I didn't look it up, probably a lot less snaps played.  And still is right there in QB hits.  Sacks are great, but hits impact the game too.

Fair question...moving forward for the next 4 years, who yah got?  Burns, Sweat or Gary?  I do love me some Burns, but I think Gary is going to be the much better player very quickly.

I was not on the Gary train whatsoever, but who do I got? Gary and it's a no brainer. He's far better against the run than either of them and is now at least equal to if not better as a pass rusher. 

He's going to have a monster year. Still need that 3rd and 4th guy in our rotation to stand up and be counted. I think Garvin is still young enough to make a leap and I'm not sure about the rookie we got in the 5th round. 

I'm reading some PFF stuff now.  They are talking about EDGE players in 2022.

Gary is #9, right behind Burns.  Clearly in that second tier behind guys who could be defensive MVP.

Sweat was #30 in the "Needs to live up to potential" category.

Watt, Garrett, Mack, Parsons, J Bosa, Crosby, N Bosa are your elite 7.  

Burns, Gary, Young are your next 3.  They called them Young Rushers with Extreme Potential.

Cool to see Gary on that list.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 11:32 AM, vegas492 said:

Lets look at the 3.

Ask and thou shall receive! 

Defensive snaps:

Rashan Gary - 1381

Brian Burns - 2068

Keith Sweat - 1900

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Ask and thou shall receive! 

Defensive snaps:

Rashan Gary - 1381

Brian Burns - 2068

Keith Sweat - 1900

Keith still staying active for his age. Was expecting to see Montgomery Burns on this list. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Refugee said:

Keith still staying active for his age. Was expecting to see Montgomery Burns on this list. 

16 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

damn.  It was a lay-up too!

"Incredible bend for his age.  All-Pro."  unnamed AFC scout.