1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

@Packerraymondpredicted he'd be good. He's smart you see. 

@AlexGreen#20is the dummy.

You and I had basically identical reports on draft day lol

They're mad I said Gary sucked as a rookie and that I said he was currently around the 15th best edge rusher in the league. 

Apparently those were blasphemous statements.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

They're mad I said Gary sucked as a rookie and that I said he was currently around the 15th best edge rusher in the league. 

He's definitely looking more like a top 8ish guy than top 15 at this point.

17 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Shut up, I'm trying to get Norm to call me smart for once.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Pay the man now. You'll save 5 million or more a year if you extend him now! The price is going to keep going up each year we wait. 

Naw.  No rush at all.

He plays for cheap this year.  Option year next year.  Really he has 2 more seasons to prove it and stay healthy.

If you do a deal now, it is absent the 5'th year option on paper, but you are paying for it anyway as a starting point in the contract.

I may be looking at it incorrectly, but if that is factored in at all (or a franchise tag), might as well let him play on it.  Cap goes up, Gary stays healthy, he gets a blockbuster deal and we are still just fine contract wise relative to the cap.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Naw.  No rush at all.

He plays for cheap this year.  Option year next year.  Really he has 2 more seasons to prove it and stay healthy.

If you do a deal now, it is absent the 5'th year option on paper, but you are paying for it anyway as a starting point in the contract.

I may be looking at it incorrectly, but if that is factored in at all (or a franchise tag), might as well let him play on it.  Cap goes up, Gary stays healthy, he gets a blockbuster deal and we are still just fine contract wise relative to the cap.

In two years they are on the verge of the new TV deal and you won't be able to touch him for what you can know. I'd EXTEND him 5 for 110 right now. You wait and he plays well and it's 4 at 120, at least. 

28 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

In two years they are on the verge of the new TV deal and you won't be able to touch him for what you can know. I'd EXTEND him 5 for 110 right now. You wait and he plays well and it's 4 at 120, at least. 

That's fine.  Cap will go up, contracts will come off and there will be more room for him in the future.

By extending him now, you are taking on much more risk and much more money, at a time when the Packers do not have a lot of room.  And you are doing it unnecessarily.  

You let him play out this year.  No question about it.

Put the Option on him and start negotiating.  Franchise tag is always an option.

But really, you have two to three years of full control.  Injuries happen and going year to year is not a horrible thing.  

And that's the easy part.

You think that the cap going up is going to impact how much he makes.  It will not.

His play and the play of his peers will drive the EDGE market up.

Right now his play is quite good.  Year before it was just okay.  As a rookie, meh.  Let's see the improvement and see if a new market is set for EDGE before we sign anything really lucrative.

• Like 2