NFL Draft Day Two GDT

Forge

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

maybe because they are all injury prone players but our line is completely different than what was on the field last year

Sid you sign some guys or expecting people back from injury? I think you have enough at skills positions, but damn I want to keep kyler upright.

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

Sid you sign some guys or expecting people back from injury? I think you have enough at skills positions, but damn I want to keep kyler upright.

well our whole starting line got injured last year and most of the backups lmao. the only player who was healthy that is gonna play this year was our rookie from last year mason cole, who is apparently iron man cause he never gets hurt (I think he has started every game since he was a freshman in high school).

we traded for marcus gilbert who is good when healthy. hopefully dj humpries is healthy this year. we signed jr sweezy, ehh. pugh is going back to his original position, lg, and hopefully he can stay healthy. then we got cole who can't be hurt and hopefully gets better after his rookie season.

but still a lineman would be welcomed cause there is no chance that line stays healthy.

21 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

did you know that before last year keim averaged 10 wins per season as a gm in his 5 years?

that's like how many wins the browns got the entire decade prior to last year lmao

In terms of drafting though, since 2013, Keim has hit on how many picks? Matthieu, David Johnson and John Brown? That's basically it.

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Dont the cardinals need olinemen more than anyone in the nfl?

Didnt they just draft an undersized qb. Take taylor or Ford and move on.

They traded for Gilbert. They have Pugh inside. Humphries and Sweezy aren't great, but they're not Ereck Flowers either. Zona OL isn't as bad as everyone says it is

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

They traded for Gilbert. They have Pugh inside. Humphries and Sweezy aren't great, but they're not Ereck Flowers either. Zona OL isn't as bad as everyone says it is

Pugh is really good, but he's injury prone.  Gilbert is a fair get, but that's one spot.  Humphries and Sweezy were bad.  ARI's OL was historically bad last year.     

The other part of the equation - WR/CB are insanely deep right now.   There is a pretty clear dropoff in OL value after Ford/Risner/Taylor in the T-G tier.   Value-based drafting says upgrade the trenches 1 more time, and hit WR/CB with 2.48 (MIA pick) and 3.1.    If there's a CB/WR who stands out above the crowd, that's justifiable.  I don't really see Murphy as that guy, though.   Just the best of a bunch of CB's who are closely bunched up. 

The best short-term AND long-term upgrades in unit play happen when the trenches are turned from weaknesses to assets.   Look at IND for the positive and MIN for the negative most recent example.   It happens over & over.   Instead of saying "they're not apocalyptically bad", instead think "How can I upgrade this to good play cheaply"   And the answer is cost-controlled, upper-tier rookie contract OL guys in Day 1 / 2.     It's also not just trying to win now - it's protecting your future core assets - Murray, DJ & getting the most out of the WR's you invest in (Kirk and no doubt a Day 2 WR).   So it wins long-term even more than just short-term.

Just ask how much letting bad OL play nearly cost IND their franchise guy in Luck - and restoring OL play returned Luck & the team to sustainable contention. 

Edited by Broncofan

29 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Pugh hasn’t been good in a while now. It is mostly injury related.

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Pugh is really good, but he's injury prone.  Gilbert is a fair get, but that's one spot.  Humphries and Sweezy were bad.  ARI's OL was historically bad last year.     

The other part of the equation - WR/CB are insanely deep right now.   There is a pretty clear dropoff in OL value after Ford/Risner/Taylor in the T-G tier.   Value-based drafting says upgrade the trenches 1 more time, and hit WR/CB with 2.48 (MIA pick) and 3.1.    If there's a CB/WR who stands out above the crowd, that's justifiable.  I don't really see Murphy as that guy, though.   Just the best of a bunch of CB's who are closely bunched up. 

The best short-term AND long-term upgrades in unit play happen when the trenches are turned from weaknesses to assets.   Look at IND for the positive and MIN for the negative most recent example.   It happens over & over.   Instead of saying "they're not apocalyptically bad", instead think "How can I upgrade this to good play cheaply"   And the answer is cost-controlled, upper-tier rookie contract OL guys in Day 1 / 2.     It's also not just trying to win now - it's protecting your future core assets - Murray, DJ & getting the most out of the WR's you invest in (Kirk and no doubt a Day 2 WR).   So it wins long-term even more than just short-term.

Just ask how much letting bad OL play nearly cost IND their franchise guy in Luck - and restoring OL play returned Luck & the team to sustainable contention. 

I think you got me wrong. I'm not saying they shouldn't draft an OL. I'm just saying they're not as desperate as the Texans are. I agree you can upgrade Humphries (though I don't think there's good LT prospect left) or Sweezy.