> 2020 Draft Prospect Thread <

TheRealMcCoy

14 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

I said I would consider it. Its a luxury having 2 dynamic TEs but honestly they take opportunities away from each other.

My problem is that I absolutely would not consider a conditional 3rd this year.

The biggest reason why we can't trade him is the cap hit.... we are eating 13.5 million this year if we trade him.

It just doesn't make any sense.

On top of that Ertz is 13 months younger than Travis Kelce.

He is almost always healthy and productive. Top player at his position.  Leader in the locker room and one of the bigger Wentz supporters on the team.

Yes, I do agree he hurts Goedert from a production stand point and a 2nd really good tight end is a luxury.

But, its a nice luxury to have and why pass up on it just to take a big cap hit and get a pick that is pretty close to day 3?

If another team wants Ertz this off-season, then you would need to be offering at least a 2nd rounder, especially if you are a team like the Patriots with a pretty low pick.

It would be about a 7.7 million cap hit next offseason if you really want to try and trade him for great value.

Shoot... we could probably get a 3rd round comp for Ertz if we let him walk in 2022. He will be 31 years old when that time comes.

Also, Goedert becomes a free agent the same year. I like how that works out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

We do not have 4 WR spots to fill. We have 2 maybe 3 depending on what they decide to do with Alshon.

Not sure what we can do with Alshon.

I'm still mad at that restructure.

If there was a guy I'd probably be willing to take a  huge cap hit for trading its Alshon, especially if he was the mole for Josina.

33 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

My problem is that I absolutely would not consider a conditional 3rd this year.

The biggest reason why we can't trade him is the cap hit.... we are eating 13.5 million this year if we trade him.

It just doesn't make any sense.

On top of that Ertz is 13 months younger than Travis Kelce.

He is almost always healthy and productive. Top player at his position.  Leader in the locker room and one of the bigger Wentz supporters on the team.

Yes, I do agree he hurts Goedert from a production stand point and a 2nd really good tight end is a luxury.

But, its a nice luxury to have and why pass up on it just to take a big cap hit and get a pick that is pretty close to day 3?

If another team wants Ertz this off-season, then you would need to be offering at least a 2nd rounder, especially if you are a team like the Patriots with a pretty low pick.

It would be about a 7.7 million cap hit next offseason if you really want to try and trade him for great value.

Shoot... we could probably get a 3rd round comp for Ertz if we let him walk in 2022. He will be 31 years old when that time comes.

Also, Goedert becomes a free agent the same year. I like how that works out.

Good point. I didn't look at Ertz's contract cap hit via trade I was just thinking in terms of assets. Ertz is 13 months younger but Kelce is a better athlete that's why he's still playing at a high level. Not saying Ertz is going to fall off a cliff or anything. 

I only mentioned NE because they need a TE to be successful so a trade with them would have to happen this offseason for Brady-sake. There are a ton of UFA TEs (Ebron, Eifert, McDonald, G. Celek, Henry, Clay) Only Ebron is what I call a dynamic a pass catcher. I personally don't think Josh Perkins is bad he's very much like Burton undersized athlete. If we want to go heavy run bring in that 6th OL (Pryor, Mailata, Herbig)  

Edited by nlesthought

2 hours ago, nlesthought said:

Wait how do we have 4WR spots to fill? we have 4 that are almost definitely going to be on the roster next year (Jeffrey/Jackson/JJAW/Jr) unless Howie decides to go full on rebuild.

I said I would consider it. Its a luxury having 2 dynamic TEs but honestly they take opportunities away from each other. When Goedert started to ball we saw Ertz numbers decline (then Ertz got hurt). Last year when Goedert was MIA not even getting snaps, it was because Ertz had to be on the field. Look at TB and tell me OJ Howard and Brate are both flourishing or in TEN how Jonnu Smith and Delanie Walker are both tearing it up. I'll wait. 

If this was the college game with the hash marks are spread apart I'll be all on board the two TE system. In the NFL it doesn't work, it has never worked. It was always Gronk and whomever that can block. We upgrade the WR position who falls in the pecking order? So Goedert will sit on the sidelines playing 25-40% of the snaps for the next few years because Ertz has to play? That seems like a waste. Give me a 2nd if Ertz plays 12 games I use that 2nd in 2021 to keep replenishing the team. Ertz will be 30 years old next year. A bunch of yall just talked about getting faster/younger. 

Gronk and Hernandez tho. Ertz is probably one of the most consistent players on the team. Lets not take away Wentz' best receiver 

1 hour ago, nlesthought said:

Good point. I didn't look at Ertz's contract cap hit via trade I was just thinking in terms of assets. Ertz is 13 months younger but Kelce is a better athlete that's why he's still playing at a high level. Not saying Ertz is going to fall off a cliff or anything. 

I only mentioned NE because they need a TE to be successful so a trade with them would have to happen this offseason for Brady-sake. There are a ton of UFA TEs (Ebron, Eifert, McDonald, G. Celek, Henry, Clay) Only Ebron is what I call a dynamic a pass catcher. I personally don't think Josh Perkins is bad he's very much like Burton undersized athlete. If we want to go heavy run bring in that 6th OL (Pryor, Mailata, Herbig)  

Fair enough. I think I knew what you were thinking. Get more draft assets and let the younger TE thrive, but it just doesn't make sense.

And, yeah... I rank Ertz behind Kelce and Kittle. He's probably never gonna be the #1 TE or even #2, but he's still a great player at his position and probably will be for another year or two.

If we got blown away by an offer, you consider it of course.

And i agree they don't really know how to utilize them both enough yet.

But we have needed at least A TE operating at a pretty good to great level at all times to make the offense go. 
Having Goedert is a big luxury. But it gives us options and protection while we have both.
We'll have to use a higher resource to get another TE soon if we move one anyway.

Ertz is signed the next two years. Goedert too. Just let it ride for at least this year and be very well off at an important position.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I don´t like this forum´s obsession of getting rid of Ertz

Same.

He's definitely earned my respect and I love his timeline.

Came in as a rookie in 2013 for the Chip Kelly roller coaster.... helped bring us a championship under Pederson and has kinda transformed from an awkward kid out of Stanford to one of the real leaders on this team. 

5 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

If we got blown away by an offer, you consider it of course.

And i agree they don't really know how to utilize them both enough yet.

But we have needed at least A TE operating at a pretty good to great level at all times to make the offense go. 
Having Goedert is a big luxury. But it gives us options and protection while we have both.
We'll have to use a higher resource to get another TE soon if we move one anyway.

Ertz is signed the next two years. Goedert too. Just let it ride for at least this year and be very well off at an important position.

Yep. I love that Ertz big contract ends right when we have to probably pony up a good amount for Goedert.

39 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I don´t like this forum´s obsession of getting rid of Ertz

Its not an obsession for me, I like Ertz I also like Goedert. I don't think we can fully utilize a 1st round draft pick TBD, Jackson, Ertz, Jeffrey, Goedert, Jr., JJAW, and somehow mix in Miles/TBD/Scott. Some are going to be under utilized. (Yes I know Jr., JJAW/Scott and possibly the 3rd RB will all fall down the totem pole) but do you waste a couple of Goedert's prime years as the 5th/6th option? Yeah catching 15-20 passes is nice. 

We held onto B. Celek for probably a long time as well and I loved me some Celek.  

Perfect example 2013 season under C. Kelly 10-6 

Team passed for 4400 yards (Foles/Vick/Barkley) 

1. Jackson 126 targets 1300 yds (deep threat) 

2. Cooper 84 targets 800 yds (possession guy) 

5. McCoy 52 catches (dynamic RB who can catch it) 

3. Slot guy Avant 77 targets 

TEs 

4. 23 year old Ertz 57 targets 450 yds 2 TDs 

6. 28 year old Celek 51 targets 500 yds 6 TDs 

The only reason I'm saying no is because the cap hit...otherwise I'd consider it. just me. 

Edited by nlesthought

Yall are killing me with the trade Ertz bull****. He's not going anywhere. There is no reason to move him. We can run 2 TE sets like we've been doing as well as having 2 safety valves for Wentz. I'm not getting rid of a top 3 player at his position for a horrible *** 3rd round pick or even a bad 2nd round pick. **** I honestly wouldn't even trade him for a 1st Round pick, He's too valuable. Yall don't make any sense to me with the having 2 top TE's is a bad thing Bull****. 

• Like 1

• Kiltman changed the title to > 2020 Draft Prospect Thread <