2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

There are three that really count.  Christian Wilkins (13, Mia), Dexter Lawrence (17, NYG), Jeffrey Simmons (19, Ten).  Those are the guys that were picked between Gary and Savage.  After that, it is no longer a trade-off for Gary, it is a trade-off for Savage.

At the time of the #12 pick, they could have taken any DL, and still taken Savage later. 

9 minutes ago, cannondale said:

At the time of the #12 pick, they could have taken any DL, and still taken Savage later. 

Those are the 3 non-edge rush DL that were taken between Gary and Savage.  Once the Packers traded into the #21 slot, the only players that were missed were the guys taken 13-20.  The Packers next pick was at 44.  The missed players between Savage and Jenkins are not: "instead of Gary," they are: "instead of Savage."   

Just the way I look at the draft when playing the hindsight game.  

12 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Those are the 3 non-edge rush DL that were taken between Gary and Savage.  Once the Packers traded into the #21 slot, the only players that were missed were the guys taken 13-20.  The Packers next pick was at 44.  The missed players between Savage and Jenkins are not: "instead of Gary," they are: "instead of Savage."   

Just the way I look at the draft when playing the hindsight game.  

I hear you. I play it more stringent. When on the clock at #12, they had their pick of what turned out to be 6 first round DL and what turned out to be 3 OT.  This year, there may not be anyone from those 2 positions groups left worthy of taking at #30

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, craig said:
That was my best rationale too.  Qualitatively makes some sense.  Jones is a weapon/play-maker who demands attention; Williams relatively little.  
Don't think it happened often on 3rd downs, but I kinda hated some of the earlier-down sets with both williams and Mercedes.  With 7 blockers and Rodgers who doesn't run, that kinda only leaves three guys that the defense has to pay attention to.  

I'm having a hard time buying it though. We accounted for all the run plays and like 20 percent of the passing plays and there isn't a significant observable difference. The 80% of the passing plays we aren't seeing has to be an absolutely wild difference.

23 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Having watched a bit of Badgers football how is Baun considered a possible first round pick and Orr a UDFA? I feel like Orr stood out a lot more. What am I missing?

Orr is 6'-0" and 225 lbs. He had a great pro day, but that's still a small guy. Some Badgers defensive guys have had some sneaky good success though

19 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I hear you. I play it more stringent. When on the clock at #12, they had their pick of what turned out to be 6 first round DL and what turned out to be 3 OT.  This year, there may not be anyone from those 2 positions groups left worthy of taking at #30

I totally agree with what we should have done.  I think I would prefer Simmons in the Green and Gold to Gary, and have Z, Preston and Fackrell manning the rush position.  Now we have to hope Gary learns to football as good as he athletes.  And that we can find a suitable DL somewhere.  

The thing I think people forget is that we didn't just stumble upon Pickett.  He was a first round pick and a big-time FA acquisition.  

18 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Orr is 6'-0" and 225 lbs. He had a great pro day, but that's still a small guy. Some Badgers defensive guys have had some sneaky good success though

Makes sense.

Guess it's more that I just never at any point thought to myself that Baun stood out as a "first round" guy when casually watching him over the last few years. I feel like you could make a legit argument that Baun isn't/wasn't a top 5 linebacker for the Badgers in the last 2 years.

You could easily convince me Connelly, Van Ginkell, Edwards, Orr, and Sanborn all were/are better at least as college players which I acknowledge isn't always the best indicator of how they'll end up playing as pros. 

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Yea, Simmons would of been ideal; also,  it may of been a reach and he didn't play great last year but I was even hoping for Jerry Tillery over a majority of the options we had at pick 12 last year.