2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

OT is a crap shoot like any other position. Our last four attempts to land a bookend OT in rounds 1 and 2 have been: 

Clifton

Bulaga

Sherrod

Spriggs

2 stalwarts, 2 busts. 

Idt it’s fair to call Sherrod a bust. Had he not been injured, who knows what kind of player he may have been . 

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Idt it’s fair to call Sherrod a bust. Had he not been injured, who knows what kind of player he may have been . 

Being on the field is part of the game though. I'm not ragging on the guy, but a bust is a bust. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Being on the field is part of the game though. I'm not ragging on the guy, but a bust is a bust. 

As the saying goes, "The most important ablility is availability", or put another way "You can't make the club from the tub".

The argument is inherent in the word 'bust'. Taken broadly, guys who fail due to injury are busts. With the same word taken in a narrower definition,  they failed (to have a decent career) but did not bust. So just assume that those that use the word bust mean it in general terms......... and those that don't use that word, don't.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Right. But we don’t know who he was as a player. Spriggs had opportunities and sucked, that’s different than Sherrod getting hurt and never having a chance . Both were busts, but I’m not using Sherrod to say we’ve had trouble finding talent tackle wise .

just a difference between the two. I can’t get upset at a GM drafting a guy who suffered a freak career ending injury. 

You can get upset at drafting an incompetent player .

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Semantics maybe, but this is a terrible perspective.

I consider a bust a prospect that the drafting team whiffed on. 

How you can consider Sherrod a bust is beyond me.  I can sorta agree that a player is a bust if they have injury concerns at the time of being drafted and those injury concerns turn out to be warranted, but how you expect any GM to anticipate a compound fracture is just beyond not intelligent. 

That's "Adrian Peterson is overrated because he might get injured," territory. 

Edited by Outpost31

from PFT

"The depth of the wide receiver class in this year’s draft has been talked about a lot over the last few months and the topic came up again when Ravens General Manager Eric DeCosta spoke to reporters on Thursday. DeCosta followed popular opinion by saying that the group is “kind of stacked” with players who he believes can contribute at the NFL level. That means that the Ravens or another team could strike gold well after the first round has come to an end.

“I think it’s just the amount of really good players in the draft at that position. In most years, you probably expect those players to fill up the first three rounds,” DeCosta said, “We think this year that there’s a really good chance to get a guy that can probably be a starter for you in the fifth round of the draft.”

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

How you can consider Sherrod a bust is beyond me.  I can sorta agree that a player is a bust if they have injury concerns at the time of being drafted and those injury concerns turn out to be warranted, but how you expect any GM to anticipate a compound fracture is just beyond not intelligent. 

Robert Edwards a bust?  First round pick of the Patriots in 1998.  He's the one that blew his knee in that sand football thing preceding the Pro Bowl.

I don't think you do.

Nor do I.  

Unless you can say a guy is an injury bust.  But that should be a separate category.  Like Ahmad Carrol was a bust.  Sherrod was an injury bust.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Unless you can say a guy is an injury bust.  But that should be a separate category.  Like Ahmad Carrol was a bust.  Sherrod was an injury bust.

Yeah, that's why I say it's semantics (I hope). 

Depending on how you define bust. 

If a bust is a player that straight up didn't work out, 67% of draft picks are busts. 

I define a bust as a player that was a poor selection relative to draft position unable to make it work in the NFL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Yep, Sherrod wasn't a bust; he was an injury casualty... It would kinda be like calling Terrence Murphy a bust

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Adrian Peterson can't be overrated, at least not compared to LaDanian Tomlinson.

Also, the real issue people have is that the term, "bust," is used as a pejorative.  If you look at it the way I think @packfanfb is using the term, it just means that the draft pick didn't work out.  The term is a catch-all that unfortunately groups bad football players, criminals, lazy turds, and injured players together.  

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Adrian Peterson can't be overrated, at least not compared to LaDanian Tomlinson.

Also, the real issue people have is that the term, "bust," is used as a pejorative.  If you look at it the way I think @packfanfb is using the term, it just means that the draft pick didn't work out.  The term is a catch-all that unfortunately groups bad football players, criminals, lazy turds, and injured players together.  

Yea, I define "bust" in terms of the bottom-line for the team, i.e. the did guy produce and become something or not? I don't care if the guy played 5 years and sucked, or was shot dead the day after he was drafted --- he's either a bust or not regardless of where "fault" is assigned, if at all.