2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Anyone have a take on Jeremy Chinn?

I have a feeling the fascination with trying to make the Jeremy Chinn's of the world work is going to die an agonizing death. They can't do anything well enough and can be exposed too easily. They went undrafted 5 years ago for a reason. They play safety like Aaron Rouse and linebacker like Oren Burks. 

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Third ?! Wow. He’s an early second rounder, who might have a team fall in love with him late in the first in my eyes

A lot of sites are having him as a top-50 player, mainly TDN; but he's got a lot of room to grow and if you're drafting him in the 2nd, you're expecting him to contribute at a rather high level immediately. I think he's two years away.

11 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I have a feeling the fascination with trying to make the Jeremy Chinn's of the world work is going to die an agonizing death. They can't do anything well enough and can be exposed too easily. They went undrafted 5 years ago for a reason. They play safety like Aaron Rouse and linebacker like Oren Burks. 

This...

I think Chinn achieves where the other two do not. He's a far better athlete.

10 minutes ago, Joe said:

This...

I think Chinn achieves where the other two do not. He's a far better athlete.

We shall see, but I'm not willing to give up a high pick to find out. I'm just as fascinated with the idea as anyone, but that's a hard gig to make work. Loved when Sean Richardson got involved in that way years ago. I wanna say he was kept on the outside though. Those guys are gonna get killed on the inside and be injured a lot. Experimenting with the Raven Greenes of the world is far less risky.

Edited by cannondale

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

You're talking about what Bulaga's numbers were as a prospect in regards to mobility vs. where he is now.

I'm also talking about the guy who was arguably the best tackle in the game last year compared to a 21 year old who can barely move. Wilson isn't a fit at all. 

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think it depends.  If we are talking about running, cutting and that kind of movement?  Yah, I get yah.

If we are talking about foot quickness and how well hand/feet work together?  Bulaga smokes him.  Bulaga still has/had some pretty solid fundamentals going for him.  I've not watched Wilson to know if he does or does not.

Mobile to me means and ability to get to the next level for blocks, to your point cutting, running etc

Technique for me catergorizes foot quickness, hand/foot work coordination. With these I’d expect Bulaga to win, he’s a seasoned vet. These are growth pieces for any new tackle and luckily coachable. I just think as a RT he has all the tools we need end of round one.

Latest TDN effort. Love this one too.

1.30 - Josh Jones | OT | Houston
2.62 - Brandon Aiyuk | WR | Arizona State (can live with it)
3.94 - Logan Wilson | LB | Wyoming
4.136 - Albert Ogwuegbunam | TE | Missouri
5.175 - Benito Jones | IDL | Ole Miss
6.192 - Nevelle Clarke | CB | Central Florida
6.208 - Raequan Williams | IDL | Michigan State
6.209 - Reggie Corbin | RB | Illinois
7.236 - Gage Cervenka | IOL | Clemson
7.242 - Cole McDonald | QB | Hawaii

Yeah, I know. Not much changes at this point in these sims because we all have our guys. Can't wait for the chaos of the actual draft. Let's get it.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, cannondale said:

Chinn, Dugger and Davis-Gaither are three guys I like in this draft. I think they can all find a position as a coverage type ILB in the Green Bay defense. Just as it is your opinion that it won't work, it's mine that it can. I guess in a fortnight we find out how the Packers think.............

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GWH87 said:

Mobile to me means and ability to get to the next level for blocks, to your point cutting, running etc

Technique for me catergorizes foot quickness, hand/foot work coordination. With these I’d expect Bulaga to win, he’s a seasoned vet. These are growth pieces for any new tackle and luckily coachable. I just think as a RT he has all the tools we need end of round one.

rpMBugR.gif

That's the play the RT in this offense needs to be able to make to be a stud. That's the ultimate test of athleticism in a tackle in the run game. Can you reach a guy with an advantageous position? Wilson fails that test ane he fails the pass blocking athleticism test. 

He's a good player, just for somebody else.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

rpMBugR.gif

That's the play the RT in this offense needs to be able to make to be a stud. That's the ultimate test of athleticism in a tackle in the run game. Can you reach a guy with an advantageous position? Wilson fails that test ane he fails the pass blocking athleticism test. 

That was a hell of a block that I’ll bet, most RT’s in the league don’t make that well if at all. 

1 minute ago, MantyWrestler said:

That was a hell of a block that I’ll bet, most RT’s in the league don’t make that well if at all. 

It was every bit a superstar play. 

If you have gamepass it's really funny to watch Jones on this at the end of the touchdown. Almost every other TD this year he's skipping around and celebrating. On this one he immediately calls over Bulaga and Turner.

Also, thanks to Billy Turner and Jaylon Smith for another pristine example of "What happens when a pretty damn good ILB isn't kept clean".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joe said:

A lot of sites are having him as a top-50 player, mainly TDN; but he's got a lot of room to grow and if you're drafting him in the 2nd, you're expecting him to contribute at a rather high level immediately. I think he's two years away.

I really don’t think it’s like that. If you draft someone it’s more of a long term investment rather than a immediate return. 

15 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Wasn't Bulaga's 3 cone almost a full second quicker than Wilson? It was at least ~0.5 advantage for Bryan Bulaga, Iowa. 

When Bulaga was young and uninjured?  Sure.

But that wasn't the Bulaga we had last year.  

I think the point was Bulaga now versus Wilson now.  And if Wilson can run, move better, I can buy that.  What I don't buy is the footspeed, hands and set off of the snap.  

I watched Bulaga enough last year to know that he was still pretty darned good at those things.  We managed that body well.  Wish we still were.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

rpMBugR.gif

Couple things stand out to me on this one....maybe others can weigh in....certainly would love to hear from @AlexGreen#20

First...the entire line.  We are on the road, and in the gun.  Has to be some crowd noise to deal with.  Our tackles get off of the ball extremely quick.  I think both Bulaga and Bakh gets out of their sets before the guards do.  Wondering if we had some sort of timing snap.  Like Rodgers lifts his leg, and Lindsey has a like a "one" count before he snaps.  Maybe his head coming up is the start of the count.  He pulls his head up, tackles see it (they are looking in), then they know when to move and move at that time despite not seeing the snap.  It's a little thing that I think helped us a lot last year.  Seemed like our tackles were routinely getting great get off on the snap.

Then there is Turner.  He looks to see if Bulaga can reach that block.  Hesitates a little.  Then he sees it is working and he's quick enough to get some of the linebacker and take him from the play.  Even gets a hand on the end to help steer him towards Bulaga.  

Lindsay.  For those wanting him gone, this was a great snap and block.  Sure his guy was in a gap and made for an easier angle, but he drives him about 3 yards.

Jenkins gets enough of Lee to keep him occupied.  Bakh takes his guy wide where he wants to go and out of the play.

Jones shows he's special enough to hit a crease, take an angle away from a safety and scoots in.

And GB left the outside OLB/end unblocked to give them an advantage.  Guy couldn't even get close to Jones.  If he loops inside, it's stuffed.  But he didn't.

Just a great play to highlight.  I'd love to see more of these!