Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

14 hours ago, Edge said:

I have to agree. The pre show wasn't very good. I did liked the tag team match. All 3 teams delivered and i want to see more of all of them. The Hardcore match was ok. Nothing special and basically for comedy reasons, which makes sense in that location. So i'm ok to have one comedy match like that. I didn't liked the match between Bates and Allie. That was lame and i couldn't connect to either of the 2 ladies.

I disagree. I think Double or Nothing was better. It felt bigger and hit didn't had the pauses that i felt Fyter Fest had from time to time. It might be the pre-show that was far worst than the one on DoN, but i was also a bit disappointed in the opening match. Daniels and CIMA didn't delivered as i expected. Don't get me wrong, it was still a decent match but i think both can be better, even at their ages. I did liked every match that followed, so Fyter Fest definitely was a good event and that includes the pre-show. The women delivered. The 4-way could have gotten more time to develope. It was about 10 minutes. Give them 5 more and it could have been even more entertaining. The MJF promo prior to that match was pretty good again. He should be one of the top stars in a few years for AEW. I liked the Cody vs Darby Allin match as well. It's interesting that it ended in a draw. That was a great build up throughout the show. I wondered why they announced the time limits in every match. I was a bit confused about that, but it made total sense to build up this finish. Well done! It seems that they want to keep that procedure so i'll probably need a bit more time to get used to it on a regular basis. The co-main event was the MotN for me. I love that style of wrestling and it was super fun to watch that match. It was the Kenny Omega show, but i was also very impressed by Laredo Kid. I didn't know him, but he was able to go the pace of the other 5 wrestlers. I don't mind to see more of him in the future. The main event was a good no sanction match. The intensity slowly increased. Tables, chairs, ladders, but also barbed wire and thumbtacks helped to create an extreme match, that is probably not going to be shown more extreme on the main stream scene. Omega also got his revenge with Moxley after the match and continued to build up their match for All Out. I can't wait for that.

Fyter Fest was mediocre compared to Double or Nothing and I didn't think Double or Nothing was overly special (had one of the best matches of the year on this continent in Cody/Dustin, but as a whole it was an okay-not-great show).  The threeway tag was the only good match on the pre-show.  Cody/Darby was good for their styles not meshing at all (Darby's capable of way more), and Cody taking that unprotected chairshot was stupid (him blading on the wrong side of his head from where he was hit... and then blading too deep to where he ended up need in the tens of staples was stupider than stupid).

AEW is starting to run a fine line which will do more damage to their product in the long run than help in that they're catering to the smarks waay too much.  And there was A LOT of it last night - some good (the Street Fighter entrance/attire for The Elite was very good), a fair amount bad (having someone, even a comedy wrestler like Nakazawa, put over a non-wrestler as much as he did was 1, the constant swipes at WWE while they try to maintain the "we're not trying to compete, we just want to present an alternative" narrative get old quick for anyone past a teenager's maturity level), and I'm sorry but outside of a couple of spots (Janela back-bumping to flatten the chair, the bare feet onto the thumbtacks) the Janela/Moxley match was largely a WWE Hardcore match (not that I'm pining for a return of ECW/CZW/XPW deathmatch style stuff, just point out that they shouldn't get heaps of praise for "bringing back hardcore"); the barbs on the barbed wire were so blunted they barely even caught on cloth).

I don't want to bag on AEW, but given how much I'm already seeing people heap hyperbolic praise on them simply for being "not WWE," I'm going to call a spade a spade when it's clearly a spade.  AEW hasn't put out a show yet that's been better quality than what we're usually used to seeing from ROH.  I'd honestly say ROH, on the regular, has had better production value, too.  And it hasn't put out anything that's touched the last two TakeOvers.

• Like 2

I liked Darby/Cody a whole bunch. maybe I am a bit of a Darby mark. Just thought the contrast in style actually worked really well and I liked Cody looking like a powerhouse and Darby with the resilience after the beating he took and the finish was great in that it followed the story in the match, that Cody couldn't put Darby away. I also really like Cody putting over essentially a nobody. 

I didn't really care for the Janela/Moxley match but I don't really care that they aren't doing everything opposite of WWE. WWE is so large and encompasses so much that that would be silly to expect, imo. I do think that beyond Darby/Cody and anything that MJF touches, it was a pretty mediocre show but I'm still super into AEW. I like the post event pressers, I like the BTE bits, I like not knowing who they're going to put over. I think those types of "this is the same thing we crap on WWE for" criticisms will be more valid once their TV starts. 

11 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I liked Darby/Cody a whole bunch. maybe I am a bit of a Darby mark. Just thought the contrast in style actually worked really well and I liked Cody looking like a powerhouse and Darby with the resilience after the beating he took and the finish was great in that it followed the story in the match, that Cody couldn't put Darby away. I also really like Cody putting over essentially a nobody. 

I didn't really care for the Janela/Moxley match but I don't really care that they aren't doing everything opposite of WWE. WWE is so large and encompasses so much that that would be silly to expect, imo. I do think that beyond Darby/Cody and anything that MJF touches, it was a pretty mediocre show but I'm still super into AEW. I like the post event pressers, I like the BTE bits, I like not knowing who they're going to put over. I think those types of "this is the same thing we crap on WWE for" criticisms will be more valid once their TV starts. 

I like Darby a lot too.  He does need to learn to work a tad bit safer (that back bump off the top rope to the ring apron, while it looked cool, was straight up stupid and could have been a career-ended/crippling under different circumstances), but he's one of the few really undersized guys that I can buy as a legitimate threat type because he brings something unique (not even so much his look as his style in the ring, it's very Spider-man like, is the best way to put it) - not identical similar in style but similar, in the reason I take a shine to the uniqueness of his style, to WCW and ECW Rey Mysterio (i.e. before he hit the juice).

One guy - and he just got a pretty solid push in Limitless Wrestling in Maine - I've really been taking a shine to of late is Douglas James.  I've been following him for about 3 years now since he won the SoCal Rookie of the Year (which has a long list of big names in its annals) in 2015, but in the past year and a half he's really added some quality bulk and tone, and his ring psychology has seen a major boost (I have to think that's a product of having trained in the past year with Shane Douglas).  He's able to work guys of any style with ease and what I really love is that he's able to work enough different styles that he can and does actually downplay certain styles within his repertoire from match to match if his opponent is particularly known for having said style as being a strength of theirs.  It's little things like throwing his tope's or suicide dives between the bottom and second rope rather than over the top or through the top and middle ropes so that when his opponent does the later it looks "more impressive" for his opponent and the guy gets some extra shine that way (off something that practically every guy on the indies throws these days).

1 hour ago, Livewire said:

Now that's how you start a RAW.

Enjoyed the entire 20 mins. They built of it right for once. Left the cameras on them a good long time before going to commercial. Didnt have a couple emts rush out and load them up carelessly and rush off. They took their time with it. Slow brewed.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The LBC said:

A couple of swears that slipped past the censors (or that were ok'd that the fines would be paid for them) does not an Attitude Era make.

Kofi just flipped off Joe on live TV.  I'd say they're turning the PG corner.

7 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Anyone hear the guy in the crowd yell “there’s kids here” after Lashley said the B word?

Kids are the ones whom killed the current product so I could care less if kids hear someone call someone else the B word or flip someone off. They probably hear and see worse at home 

5 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

I don’t think they are, you couldn’t even see it on TV because they went to a angle that showed the back of Joe’s head 

No I definitely saw it.  They pushed the camera around Joe's head at the tail end of it.  FWIW.

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

did you see last night and what kofi did?

Yes.  There was more to theAE than "not being PG."  My statement still holds and is still very much valid, some swears and a middle finger do not an Attitude Era make.  We're likely going back to some of the early/mid 2000's stuff, which wasn't as bad as people want to make it out to be and would still be an improvement over what we had been getting.