Jaguars LB Telvin Smith not to play 2019 season

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Aside from Jack, I think the other LBs on the field on any given play will be determined by situation and formation. 

That’s very possible. I just meant that they didn’t just end up here with like one new guy and a bunch of career backups to try to fill the void. They brought in a bunch of guys with different skill sets; some that match up with Telvin’s and some that fit MLB so Jack could theoretically move there, and some more guys who could maybe play SLB full time instead of having the WLB on the field. It won’t matter if none of them are good, but it’s much better than pinning the whole front seven’s success solely on Quincy Williams being able to step into Telvin’s role from day one. 

Just now, pwny said:

That’s very possible. I just meant that they didn’t just end up here with like one new guy and a bunch of career backups to try to fill the void. They brought in a bunch of guys with different skill sets; some that match up with Telvin’s and some that fit MLB so Jack could theoretically move there, and some more guys who could maybe play SLB full time instead of having the WLB on the field. It won’t matter if none of them are good, but it’s much better than pinning the whole front seven’s success solely on Quincy Williams being able to step into Telvin’s role from day one. 

Any chance you guys come away with Collins? His market has been completely barren. Can't imagine that it would cost much at this stage. 

43 minutes ago, pwny said:

Between Jake Ryan who they picked up in Free Agency, Josh Allen, Quincey Williams, and the UDFAs they brought in; Marc Shiechl, Michael Lockley, Scott Lutrus, JoJo Dickson, Tommy Gallarda, and Eric Gordon, they’re going to have the bodies to find someone. 

It’s really just going to be a matter of if Allen is going to play LB in certain sets and if Williams is as good as the Jaguars seem to think he is or if one or two of the UDFAs can stick. Nobody in that group is going to replace Telvin, but they at least put in the effort to find a viable starter. 

I'm so confused right now. Did we take a time machine back to 2011?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm so confused right now. Did we take a time machine back to 2011?

My b. This is what I get for trying to pull up a list of our UDFAs at an airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, footbull3196 said:

This is one of the biggest losses of the offseason for the Jaguars.  For their sake let’s hope it’s not a permanent loss, but it’s gonna be hard for the Jaguars to replace his void in a year that they’re trying to rebound, and this is considering that they already have a pretty set LB core.  I don’t blame Smith for taking the time off, just think it’s unusual timing and sure sucks that the Jaguars didn’t know about this before because they surely could have planned ahead and made moves for a linebacker in free agency or even drafted another one if they chose to do so

Didn't play great last year. But his leadership is going to be a big loss.

Prayers up, Telvin.

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Any chance you guys come away with Collins? His market has been completely barren. Can't imagine that it would cost much at this stage. 

Myles, Ryan, Allen, and Quincy Williams. I figure we're fine and I'm quite sure the Jaguars knew about this for a while.

"Understand this, I never left Duval," Smith said in the video clip, via Demetrius Harvey of LockOnJaguars. "I'm never leaving Duval; it's Duval til we die. You understand me? Y'all seen trade rumors and stuff. Y'all seen me go anywhere? Exactly. Y'all seen the rumors go somewhere, but y'all ain't seen me go nowhere cause I ain't going nowhere. You understand me?

"I promise y'all this: Ain't nothing about Telvin Smith leaving Duval."

Smith also promised his followers that they would know more "this week" on what's going on.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001030182/article/telvin-smith-on-trade-rumors-im-never-leaving-duval

I thought this was a little weird earlier in the week. Sounds like he'll be back with something to prove. 

17 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Perfectly fine with Telvin Smith walking away for a bit to get right, but he should communicate it properly to the team (Which this statement seems to appear is not happening).  Jags did sign him to a solid contract, and while Telvin Smith has a right to take a break from a physically demanding sport, this seems like the equivalent of breaking up over a text message. 

I hope I'm wrong, because I've been a big fan of Telvin Smith on the field, and I thought he was one of the most underrated LBs in the entire NFL before his contract extension...

I can understand if you have addiction or mental health problems.  Those have to be dealt with.  

Otherwise if you aren't going to play football fine, but you still need to go find work.   Don't be that guy that goes bankrupt and goes back to doing nothing.

21 hours ago, Dome said:

"Understand this, I never left Duval," Smith said in the video clip, via Demetrius Harvey of LockOnJaguars. "I'm never leaving Duval; it's Duval til we die. You understand me? Y'all seen trade rumors and stuff. Y'all seen me go anywhere? Exactly. Y'all seen the rumors go somewhere, but y'all ain't seen me go nowhere cause I ain't going nowhere. You understand me?

"I promise y'all this: Ain't nothing about Telvin Smith leaving Duval."

Smith also promised his followers that they would know more "this week" on what's going on.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001030182/article/telvin-smith-on-trade-rumors-im-never-leaving-duval

I thought this was a little weird earlier in the week. Sounds like he'll be back with something to prove. 

Yea we had that come out before he left so the whole thing is incredibly weird