2019 NBA Finals - (1) Golden State Warriors vs (2) Toronto Raptors (TOR leads 3-2)

beekay414

Serious question for you bball fans - Far be it from me to second-guess Steve Kerr and I haven't seen many Warriors games this year.  Was it common for him to rest Steph and Dray at the same time leaving Klay out there with some marginal NBA talent?  I realize KD is out, so maybe that lineup used to include him.  They even went to break a couple times and returned with that same lineup.  Seemed really odd to me.

Edited by titanrick
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, titanrick said:

Serious question for you bball fans - Far be it from me to second-guess Steve Kerr and I haven't seen many Warriors games this year.  Was it common for him to rest Steph and Dray at the same time leaving Klay out there with some marginal NBA talent?  I realize KD is out, so maybe that lineup used to include him.  They even went to break a couple times and returned with that same lineup.  Seemed really odd to me.

klay, curry, and draymond all played 40 minutes. can't give them too much more than that. yeah, and if they had kd there probably would be close to 0 minutes w/o two of curry/klay/kd/draymond on the court at all times

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

he might be the 8th best on ball defender in the league but is probably the best help defender in the league, the best pnr guarder in the league, one of the best low post defenders in the league. he is the best defensive player in the league.

you can go watch gary payton or clyde dexler go off on mj or pippen. kawhi couldn't guard jimmer in college. there is a reason teams score over 100 PPG, cause it is really hard to play defense. 

Whoa. Sanchez and I agree on something.

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

klay, curry, and draymond all played 40 minutes. can't give them too much more than that. yeah, and if they had kd there probably would be close to 0 minutes w/o two of curry/klay/kd/draymond on the court at all times

Yeah, I'd rather have Draymond on the court with Steph for his defense. You're going to have to run either Klay or Steph out alone. You're basically just trying to survive those minutes. Accordingly, it makes sense to have a stronger defensive unit out there (with Klay) when you have those minutes. When you have Klay off the court, Draymond can cover Steph defensively and his playmaking ability works well with Steph's off-the-ball movement. Obviously, you'd love to have Draymond out there whenever either Steph or Klay is off the floor, but you'd most prefer to maximize the minutes all three are on the court together. At least, that's my opinion.

16 hours ago, indifference said:

Thats because Draymond isnt a guard. He is a PF. I dont want him guarding guards when he isnt one. Dont short change draymond ability by saying he does not guard teams best players when most of the time their playing guarded heavy talented teams. Even when he does get the switch on somone smaller he CAN hold his own. Did you not see Lowry dribble the air out the basketball during the game when he switched on him? And when he was on Kawhi he held his own. Now I dont think he is the best defender ever. But saying he is fourth best defender is a reach. Dray can hold his own without help guarding 1-5 which is an elite intangible to have as a on ball defender. Something the three others can say.

Tonight was the first time I saw him look outmatched. P is taller, just as strong as him and jumps higher that actually has skill. Dont be a prisoner of the moment lets see how it goes vs Dray rest of series.

Agreed. This is a man who can stay in front of Harden and Paul on the perimeter while also making things difficult for Kanter in the low post. How many guys can you say that about?

9 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Siakam played well yesterday and especially when Green got in foul trouble. But knock it off man, Green in the playoffs through the years has proven to be the best defender in the league. He will him in check next game. Early in the game he was guarding Siakam very well. Not worried about that match up. 

And why would Green be checking guards or perimeter players when he is the best rim protector on the team? He's guarded LeBron/Harden/etc plenty over the years and done well. Siakam had it rolling and you give him his props, but no need to overreact. 

Green will review the film and adjust.

7 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was thinking that as well. Looney is really the only big you can put on Siakam. They put Bell in thinking they could run Gasol off the court, but obviously that didn't work. Looney could also switch out on Kawhi if need be. 

Bell is so gifted, but he still is thinking too much on defense. It makes his reactions slow. And he gets caught in the air too often.

• Like 1

People are ignoring the fact that Draymond was in foul trouble yesterday. He had four fouls with 8 minutes to go in the third and didn't come out of the game. Siakam knew he was in foul trouble and attacked the glass. Dray couldn't guard him like he normally would. That made him look bad

Ive seen Dray body up bigger offensive players all the time, he had to lay off and let siakam drive the lane. I don't think that happens again. 

I also have a hard time seeing the warriors turn the ball over so much in game 2. 

This game was not officiated like an NBA finals game. They were calling mostly everything

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1