2019 NBA Finals - (1) Golden State Warriors vs (2) Toronto Raptors (TOR leads 3-2)

beekay414

17 minutes ago, showtime said:

Bro, Draymond hardly ever defends the other teams best player.  Even in the Finals vs LeBron.  Again tonight, didn't spend most of his time on Kawhi Leonard, but instead got a legendary arse whooping by Siakam.

Klay is constantly guarding the other teams best player for good chunks of games unless they're a F or C.  Does he get beat?  Sure.  I mean, I don't really care if you think Klay is better than Draymond or vise versa.  Fine, Draymond is the 3rd best on-ball defender on this team and not the 4th best.  It doesn't really matter.

My entire point is, he's not the best or even second best defender on his own team.  Yet the guy said he was the best ever.

Thats because Draymond isnt a guard. He is a PF. I dont want him guarding guards when he isnt one. Dont short change draymond ability by saying he does not guard teams best players when most of the time their playing guarded heavy talented teams. Even when he does get the switch on somone smaller he CAN hold his own. Did you not see Lowry dribble the air out the basketball during the game when he switched on him? And when he was on Kawhi he held his own. Now I dont think he is the best defender ever. But saying he is fourth best defender is a reach. Dray can hold his own without help guarding 1-5 which is an elite intangible to have as a on ball defender. Something the three others can say.

Tonight was the first time I saw him look outmatched. P is taller, just as strong as him and jumps higher that actually has skill. Dont be a prisoner of the moment lets see how it goes vs Dray rest of series.

Edited by indifference
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

he might be the 8th best on ball defender in the league but is probably the best help defender in the league, the best pnr guarder in the league, one of the best low post defenders in the league. he is the best defensive player in the league.

you can go watch gary payton or clyde dexler go off on mj or pippen. kawhi couldn't guard jimmer in college. there is a reason teams score over 100 PPG, cause it is really hard to play defense. 

In my original post, I said he's a great help defender.  You could say he's the most versatile defender in the league, but that doesn't mean he's the best and I don't think he's the best.  I know it's hard to play defense.  I just watched Pascal freaking Siakam put up one of the greatest Finals performances ever on 'the best defender in the league'.

Hate to see it.

D73xdVcXUAAoPXb?format=jpg

• Like 1

Honestly, it feels so weird to me to have an NBA Finals without LeBron. I actually feel like I'm just watching a random playoff series, not the Finals. I got so used to him there. Since he'll never make it again on the Lakers ;) this is something I'll have to get used to. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, showtime said:

In my original post, I said he's a great help defender.  You could say he's the most versatile defender in the league, but that doesn't mean he's the best and I don't think he's the best.  I know it's hard to play defense.  I just watched Pascal freaking Siakam put up one of the greatest Finals performances ever on 'the best defender in the league'.

Hate to see it.

D73xdVcXUAAoPXb?format=jpg

So how can you say all of that then call him the 4th best defender in the league? You seem to think it’s all about 1v1 when it’s not at all. Draymond is still probably the best overall defender in the league. He’s just not the best 1v1 perimeter defender. Admit it you made a dumb statement and you have been proven wrong by a lot of people. Move on.

Edited by Kip Smithers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

you can go watch gary payton or clyde dexler go off on mj or pippen. kawhi couldn't guard jimmer in college. there is a reason teams score over 100 PPG, cause it is really hard to play defense. 

Image result for this gif

A few years ago the takes were that Draymond was a better defender than Rodman. Now you have people who act like he's not even a good defender. Draymond is one of the best defenders in the NBA, there is no question in my mind. Doesn't mean there aren't bad matchups for him or that he will never get punked.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Real talk did the warriors get jobbed on calls tonight. I got a friend (warriors fan) who says they do. I don’t think so but I also have a heavy bias against the warriors. Thoughts?

It wasn’t too bad, imo. About even. I seen Thompson travel and not get called, I also seen Draymond with a good shot contest get called for a foul. Then again I seen Kyle Lowry get called for a foul on a strip of Boogie. Nothing egregious one way or the other, though.

Siakam played well yesterday and especially when Green got in foul trouble. But knock it off man, Green in the playoffs through the years has proven to be the best defender in the league. He will him in check next game. Early in the game he was guarding Siakam very well. Not worried about that match up. 

And why would Green be checking guards or perimeter players when he is the best rim protector on the team? He's guarded LeBron/Harden/etc plenty over the years and done well. Siakam had it rolling and you give him his props, but no need to overreact. 

• Like 2