2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It’s not true actually. Every college has a “bag guy”. What they do is offer you cold hard cash over your four years. LSU has offered up to 650K in cash distributed over four years according to one players mom. I’m sure Alabama and Clemson do similar pays. 

Check out the documentary of what a bag boy is on Youtube. Everyone has always known about bag boys but Mississippi State Player Lex Lewis blew the lid off everything. He took 85K cash from Mississippi State I believe, distributed over four years. He is an idiot and posted 10K cash on Snapchat which led to an NCAA investigation. So now he’s ratting out every school that offered him cash which he claims Ole Miss offered him 20K and his moms rent paid for four years and LSU offered him 650K but he didn’t wanna leave his home state. 

I’ve seen this doc but here’s what I’m saying, most college players don’t get this kind of treatment. Highly recruited guys get this at big colleges like Bama LSU and Ohio State but i can assure you a WR at Pensacola State isn’t getting that. Do you think Kelan Doss got that? Unlikely. Sure players get perks but if they get a career ending injury do they still get the perks? Nope. 

I honestly have no problem with these guys making millions in their twenties. Lots of them worked hard for this. Not everyone sure many have natural gifts but lots of them had to fight for it. 

16 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I’ve seen this doc but here’s what I’m saying, most college players don’t get this kind of treatment. Highly recruited guys get this at big colleges like Bama LSU and Ohio State but i can assure you a WR at Pensacola State isn’t getting that. Do you think Kelan Doss got that? Unlikely. Sure players get perks but if they get a career ending injury do they still get the perks? Nope. 

I honestly have no problem with these guys making millions in their twenties. Lots of them worked hard for this. Not everyone sure many have natural gifts but lots of them had to fight for it. 

Oh I fully agree with you it’s the top colleges, like the Top 50-60. Definitely not a college like UC Davis lol. 

3 hours ago, Geezy said:

thats not entirely true, or at least not for all players. I roomed with two players at Oregon, starters yet, not stars. Theyd be playing in a packed house at Autzen on National TV, then wed go home and have to chip in for a pizza. 

This is true that what they get is different based upon what they do.  The players that get very little are seen as easily replaceable.  Just the same way players are cut in the NFL.  What do you say to the walk on that makes the team who is eligible for a scholarship and does not have one?  Those players are really getting screwed.  If they all get paid the same then I believe you will eventually see stars fight for more.  Also The college programs that bring in the big money provide an experience that is unlike anything we could ever expect to experience.  Although coaches get a lot in these programs a lot is put back into the school further brightening the experience for all those at the university.  Lastly this is a choice to go to college and if you are going for anything other than the education you should not be there.  Everything else is extra.

2 hours ago, Chali21 said:

I understand that but when the argument is the school bringing in money schools are probably not in the black when it comes to smaller schools.  At least not enough to pay players.  I think any player that gets hurt playing the school should have to honor the entire package.

I actually don’t think Alabama or Clemson offer cash. Too risky for those two programs, they already have the respect enough for students to come there. However, I have no doubts they still have bag boys. Example, think of an all inclusive vacation. 

- Need Groceries your entire four years here? Done. 

- Need your parents rent paid here and there? Done. 

- Need a 10K type of reliable car (like a 2013 Camry) that we will pay cash for you? Done. 

- Wanna go shopping at the mall and splurge a little? Done. 

There is no doubt this is probably how it goes down. 

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

It’s not true actually. Every college has a “bag guy”. What they do is offer you cold hard cash over your four years. LSU has offered up to 650K in cash distributed over four years according to one players mom. I’m sure Alabama and Clemson do similar pays. 

Check out the documentary of what a bag boy is on Youtube. Everyone has always known about bag boys but Mississippi State Player Lex Lewis blew the lid off everything. He took 85K cash from Mississippi State I believe, distributed over four years. He is an idiot and posted 10K cash on Snapchat which led to an NCAA investigation. So now he’s ratting out every school that offered him cash which he claims Ole Miss offered him 20K and his moms rent paid for four years and LSU offered him 650K but he didn’t wanna leave his home state. 

If he turned down over 1/2 of a million dollars to not go a couple of hours away, he is absolutely an idiot. 

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

5 years ago he could've been talking about Christian Hackenberg.

I'll wait on Trevor Lawrence to become draft eligible before I start planning my team's future around him. 

This. 

It is impossible to project freshmen a lot can happen this year and next. When Sam Darnold was a freshman did anyone predict Mayfield at all? Nope but Darnold was supposed to be the #1 pick when he came out. Things can always change. 

20 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

This. 

It is impossible to project freshmen a lot can happen this year and next. When Sam Darnold was a freshman did anyone predict Mayfield at all? Nope but Darnold was supposed to be the #1 pick when he came out. Things can always change. 

Exactly. It's easy to get enamored with superstar freshmen and sophomores. And I totally get it.

But the fact remains, injuries and/or regression are things that happen. Additionally, Lawrence plays on a team stacked from top to bottom. Kelly wasn't a terrible quarterback either at Clemson, but now at Mizzou he's struggling mightily. Not to say Lawrence would suffer the same fate outside of Clemson (and for what it's worth, I think he'll be fine), but I liken QB draft darlings to Tom Brady backups. None have flopped in New England, but none have been as good as they looked there either. Now, the draft is certainly more of a crap shoot in that regard, but the knobslobbing that goes on (and for God's sake, actively hoping to tank for a player that could just as easily set the franchise 3, 4, 8 years back as could move the franchise forward) is bizarre. 

All things considered, I don't get excited by college QBs until my team actually needs one. But the reality is, until one plays in the NFL, I don't think saying they're obviously better than the any QB in the league. Gardner Minshew has been better than Kyler Murray so far, after all.