2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

51 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

The Pats have elite coverage and average pass rushing. The Lions are trying to emulate that because of Matt Patricia. I think since they’re close as prospects, DET would go Okudah over Brown. However if chase young somehow fell to them, they’d go with Young over Okudah since Young is the highest ceiling prospect of this whole draft. Just my 2 cents

The Patriots were 7th in the league in sacks last season and have used 5/6 of their most recent first round picks on offensive or defensive linemen. 

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Interesting watch...I feel like 5-6 smart gms saw the success Mayock had with Crosby and won't let it be so easy to grab a steal like that again. Great tape and production and if he can hit the weight room and nutrition program correctly he could have similar impact. Crosby went in the beginning of the 4th in a pretty shallow edge rusher draft. This year the pool is deeper so it will all be on trying to weight Tuszka production vs weaker comp in most case and potential vs other major conference players with their higher level of comp but lesser production.

The only major red flag with him is his lack of length. His arm length at the combine was 31 3/8" which ranks in the 3rd percentile for defensive linemen. 

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Patriots were 7th in the league in sacks last season and have used 5/6 of their most recent first round picks on offensive or defensive linemen. 

What’s the relationship  with respect to the coverage?

Edited by Justwinning

I keep trying to come up with a realistic mock where passing on one of the top 3 wideouts make sense. I can see it for someone like Tua, Okudah, Simmons, but I believe all of those guys will be gone by 12. None of the top 4 tackles make sense. I really like Kinlaw, and I like Brown alright though I don't see him as an elite pass rusher. So who has tje potential to be there that also fills a need that would justify not taking someone like Lamb if he were to fall? I can see an argument for Kinlaw, though I personally disagree at 12 anyway. The inly other guy I could see is Henderson. He has all the makings of a lockdown corner. He has questions in terms of physicality in run defense, but that isn't really why you draft a corner that high. Chassion may be worthy of the pick, but investing such a high pick even at a spot with a heavy rotation doesn't seem likely after drafting Ferrell and a decent contract for a proven vet, and Crosby needing reps after having a very good rookie season. 

Who else is there? I really see the most likely options being a trade up for Tua, Okudah, Simmons, and maybe Brown, or staying put and taking one of the top 3 wideouts, or CJ Henderson. With an outside chance at Kinlaw, but with Collins, Hankins, Hurst and Hall I don't see that as a perfect fit unless they plan on shipping one of them out. I think Hurst and Hall are good rotational pieces, but they arent super stars obviously. Still that's a ton of resources being tied up at one position. 

If that is the case I still take Lamb as my top choice, but I could see an argument I could get behind for Henderson over Jeudy or Ruggs, and if that's the play Mims is the guy I target heavily at 19. I believe he is the type of receiver Carr really likes and his upside is through the roof. 

• Like 1

Pats have always put a high priority on CBs. DL have never been a high priority for them. 

Pats sacks come from there edge rushers and slot CBs. 

Those first-round picks they spent on DL in 2014 and 2015 are not even on the roster anymore. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

There is no way this isn't a giant mess right?

Over/Under 2 on the amount of teams that get hacked lol

They really need to add extra time to the clock cause this can go really south

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Over/Under 2 on the amount of teams that get hacked lol

They really need to add extra time to the clock cause this can go really south

I think more like face time drafting shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

There is no way this isn't a giant mess right?

Could you imagine a fan calling in, acting like they're a team representative, and picking a player for their team?  I mean they say they're going to be communicating over the phone.  Could you imagine a fan calling another team and trying to trade picks?  LOL.  I mean all it takes is a fan that can impersonate Mike Mayock and all of a sudden we're trading our two firsts and all our thirds for Burrow lol.  I know it might not happen, but could it?  Absolutely.  I would love to see that number two (poop) show unfold.

• Like 1

If Owner/GM/Coach/Scouts are all physically not together, like they each are at their houses, how does this affect trades? It kinda has to in a big way right? Trade scenarios are probably discussed right now if ______ then _______ and then just minor tweaks within a range of acceptable I would think. I bet there is way less trades than normal and we might get messed over at 19 unless some team is ballsy enough to call up Mayock and express interest in Jordan Love for an if then trade negotiation.

Like if the Saints, Colts and some other team all call up for 19, how does Mayock contact Gruden and Mark and get the info back to all three teams and hold a real bidding war with enough time on clock and still have a reserve pick also. It's gotta be a weird situation and they all need to have a copy of the big board and keep it up to date.

Edited by Trojan

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 3:37 PM, jimkelly02 said:

On the “Moving the Sticks” podcast #530 with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks at around the 35-37 min part they started talking about the Panthers with McCaffrey and Saints with Kamara and they’re possible extensions. What they said was due to their workloads (rushes and catches) itd be important for them to move some rushing responsibilities to a bigger back if they extend them.  Their so valuable as receivers that their worth a reasonable extension but they wouldn’t last long into the new contract if they have the same high usage rate.

I think the same ideas applies to the Raiders and Jacobs.  He’s too valuable to run into the ground (IR).  Richards a very good pass catcher but I think we need to get Jacobs more catches... so we open up the offense.  I think Richard can pick up some rushes if needed (he’s declined from 83 as a rookie to 56/55 in years 2/3 and last year 39).  I’d like to see Richard get back up to around 60 or so rushes and draft a RB in round 3.  Keeping Jacobs fresh And healthy is so important to us.  He’s a beast and played thru insane pain last year but if your getting numbing shots in your shoulder to play each week your not gonna perform nearly your best.  

I’d make the argument that spending a 3rd on a RB (depending whose there) give more value to the team then many other positions. 

We had roughly 400 RB/FB rushes last year (removing QB runs and screens to WR/TE).  Jacobs had 242 rushes (plus 20 catches).... if he played 16 games that would have been 298 rushes.  Only Henry(303:15g), Zeke(301:16g), Chubb (298:16g) ran more per game (Chris Carson had More total rushes but just slightly less Rushes/game (278:15g).

We can’t keep Jacobs at a 18.6 rushes:game level.  It’s not sustainable long term, and it certainly doesn’t maximize his skills.  I think the sweet spot for him is 15-16 rushes a game but increases his use in the passing game.

If we could get a guy like Cam Akers, who is totally interchangeable with Jacobs it would allow for more seamless substitutions.  If you draft a big banger like AJ Dillon it tips and limits your play calling.  Ideally we could get a guy like Akers 6-12 (not an average of 12 per game just some instances where he gets 12) rushes a game to keep Jacobs fresh and without a huge drop off in production.  Also, while not a speedster (4.47 40yd) he’s still rather fast for a RB with decent size and that speed brings a dynamic to the rushing attack Jacobs lacks.

How do you guys feel about drafting Akers in the 3rd or guys like D.Evans, A.Gibson, Z.Moss in round 4.  Or do you not put such a premium on RB2 and just get one of the other guys in round 5.

good point about tipping your hand, I like what I read about Dillon but if we did take someone like him. between him and Richard it would definitely tip our hand when one or the other was in, this already happens with Richard. I like akers and perine myself, similar builds and skillsets to Jacobs, this would definitely keep our cards closer to the vest. btw , if asked at that 19 pick, for me , trade down (which you did) or baun for me.

Just now, Trojan said:

If Owner/GM/Coach/Scouts are all physically not together, like they each are at their houses, how does this affect trades? It kinda has to in a big way right? Trade scenarios are probably discussed right now if ______ then _______ and then just minor tweaks within a range of acceptable I would think. I bet their is way less trades than normal and we might get messed over at 19 unless some team is ballsy enough to call up Mayock and express interest in Jordan Love for an if then trade negotiation.

Like if the Saints, Colts and some other team all call up for 19, how does Mayock contact Gruden and Mark and get the info back to all three teams and hold a real bidding war with enough time on clock and still have a reserve pick also. It's gotta be a weird situation and they all need to have a copy of the big board and keep it up to date.

I'm sure Mayock, Gruden, Mark, and a handful of other individuals will be in a room together.  I'm sure they're willing to chance death so they don't mess this draft up.  I'm sure every team will have their draft day teams together in person.  No one wants to be at a disadvantage.

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

I'm sure Mayock, Gruden, Mark, and a handful of other individuals will be in a room together.  I'm sure they're willing to chance death so they don't mess this draft up.  I'm sure every team will have their draft day teams together in person.  No one wants to be at a disadvantage.

The letter posted above says all teams will have their drafts at home with phone and internet as the communication between their team. They are all going to be separate.

I bet this also kinda locks up those players traded on draft day a bit too. Like Trent Williams, imo, should be traded now. You can't risk trying to sell him during draft day while all parts of all teams are fractured.  Might mess up a Jaguars trade up including Ngakoue too.

17 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

I spent the better part of this evening watching every Wisconsin defensive snap from Michigan, Michigan State, Illinois, both Ohio State games, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota and Oregon from 2019.

Zach Baun is exactly what we need as a SAM. He can play LB in the base and DE in Nickel. 

So in addition to the trade up to 7 for Okudah. I would trade back with Seattle who sees the pass rusher the way (Espensa or YGM) on the board and jumps for him. 19 + 80 (1065pts) ==> 27+59+101 (1086pts).

Take Zack Baun at 27.

With the depth of WR of this class I think there will be a game changer there early in the 2nd, so the raiders package up the picks and move into the top end of the 2nd and get Brandon Aiyuk or the BPA. 59 + 91 +159 (472pts) for 43 (470pts).

7. Jeff Okudah

27. Zack Baun

43. Brandon Aiyuk

91. Solomon Kindley

101. AJ Dillon

121. Khalid Kareem 

Let's Go!!

that's who I said id pick at 19 if I had to to jk. I like those first 2 picks a lot.