2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I've agreed with you that WR's are found in the middle rounds. As I've mentioned numerous times only 5 of the top 20 WR's in the league last season in terms of yards were former first round picks.

I like Lamb but he would have to be NUK 2.0 to provide good value at 12.  He has that kind of potential but that is asking a lot.  I like his game most of the "top 3" WR's on most draft boards.

18 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

On the “Moving the Sticks” podcast #530 with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks at around the 35-37 min part they started talking about the Panthers with McCaffrey and Saints with Kamara and they’re possible extensions. What they said was due to their workloads (rushes and catches) itd be important for them to move some rushing responsibilities to a bigger back if they extend them.  Their so valuable as receivers that their worth a reasonable extension but they wouldn’t last long into the new contract if they have the same high usage rate.

I think the same ideas applies to the Raiders and Jacobs.  He’s too valuable to run into the ground (IR).  Richards a very good pass catcher but I think we need to get Jacobs more catches... so we open up the offense.  I think Richard can pick up some rushes if needed (he’s declined from 83 as a rookie to 56/55 in years 2/3 and last year 39).  I’d like to see Richard get back up to around 60 or so rushes and draft a RB in round 3.  Keeping Jacobs fresh And healthy is so important to us.  He’s a beast and played thru insane pain last year but if your getting numbing shots in your shoulder to play each week your not gonna perform nearly your best.  

I’d make the argument that spending a 3rd on a RB (depending whose there) give more value to the team then many other positions. 

We had roughly 400 RB/FB rushes last year (removing QB runs and screens to WR/TE).  Jacobs had 242 rushes (plus 20 catches).... if he played 16 games that would have been 298 rushes.  Only Henry(303:15g), Zeke(301:16g), Chubb (298:16g) ran more per game (Chris Carson had More total rushes but just slightly less Rushes/game (278:15g).

We can’t keep Jacobs at a 18.6 rushes:game level.  It’s not sustainable long term, and it certainly doesn’t maximize his skills.  I think the sweet spot for him is 15-16 rushes a game but increases his use in the passing game.

If we could get a guy like Cam Akers, who is totally interchangeable with Jacobs it would allow for more seamless substitutions.  If you draft a big banger like AJ Dillon it tips and limits your play calling.  Ideally we could get a guy like Akers 6-12 (not an average of 12 per game just some instances where he gets 12) rushes a game to keep Jacobs fresh and without a huge drop off in production.  Also, while not a speedster (4.47 40yd) he’s still rather fast for a RB with decent size and that speed brings a dynamic to the rushing attack Jacobs lacks.

How do you guys feel about drafting Akers in the 3rd or guys like D.Evans, A.Gibson, Z.Moss in round 4.  Or do you not put such a premium on RB2 and just get one of the other guys in round 5.

I agree with everything you are saying here except the part where Dillon tips your hand and limits your play calling.

First, Dillon showed at the combine that he is perfectly capable of running back routes and flexing out to catch the ball and had soft hands. The only reason people put big backs in that box is because the ratio of time they are used as the 2nd back and brought in for short yardage situations is much higher than just standard rotation subs where the pass is a 50-50 option. I think he would be just fine in that role. But having him gives us the added benefit of using him in those short gain plays.

Second, I think that it can give you more options in the play calling area if you use them right. Think about having both in the back field at the same time and using Dillon as a led blocker or then flexing Jacobs out to show the defenses' hand and give Carr the run/pass option vs a less stacked box. Alot could be thought up with Gruden's background using 2 backs.

Cam is a great player but I don't think we need to take a guy like him in the 3rd when we can probably get Dillon in the 4th or 5th. That said I wouldn't be pissed with us taking him. I just think it's missing an opportunity to add more valuable defensive talent and still get the backfield help we need.

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Man I would love him but you're right.  No way he gets past 3.

I wouldn't mind Chaisson at #19 but I don't think he gets past Atlanta at #16. A sleeper edge that I think will be high on Mayock's board is Alton Robinson out of Syracuse. He tested out pretty similarly to Maxx Crosby. 

Edited by NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't mind Chaisson at #19 but I don't think he gets past Atlanta at #16. A sleeper edge that I think will be high on Mayock's board is Alton Robinson out of Syracuse. He tested out pretty similarly to Maxx Crosby. 

With our 3 3rd's I could see us making moves in this draft.  If Okuda, Simmons or Brown slip to 9 I would consider trading 12 and one of our 3rd's to move up to 9 to snag one of them.  

If we stay at 12 I also wouldnt be opposed to packaging 19 and a 3rd to move up if a player we like is there. 

We have a lot of options in this draft which include moving back, packaging 2 3rd's to move up into the 2nd.  

I just can't wait to see how it plays out and I trust Mayock to land us some studs and get us good value.

3 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

With our 3 3rd's I could see us making moves in this draft.  If Okuda, Simmons or Brown slip to 9 I would consider trading 12 and one of our 3rd's to move up to 9 to snag one of them.  

If we stay at 12 I also wouldnt be opposed to packaging 19 and a 3rd to move up if a player we like is there. 

We have a lot of options in this draft which include moving back, packaging 2 3rd's to move up into the 2nd.  

I just can't wait to see how it plays out and I trust Mayock to land us some studs and get us good value.

I wouldn't mind a small trade up for Okudah or Brown. 

Other than that though I'd prefer trade downs for more draft assets. We only have 7 picks currently and seeing Mayock find guys like Crosby, Moreau, and Renfrow in the mid rounds gives me confidence he'll be able to find more gems throughout the draft this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't mind a small trade up for Okudah or Brown. 

Other than that though I'd prefer trade downs for more draft assets. We only have 7 picks currently and seeing Mayock find guys like Crosby, Moreau, and Renfrow in the mid rounds gives me confidence he'll be able to find more gems throughout the draft this year.

If Brown makes it past Carolina you have to look into trading up with the 80th and 159th pick.

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Very small sample size. The AZ forum is hardly any activity. Their offseason thread is 3 pages long lol.

A forum off this forum, AZ Cardinal Forum. I’ve been scouting other teams dedicated internet forums (every team has one, except Seattle it seems) that are highly active. I know it sounds corny but just taking in fans perspective for my last mock. Fans know their teams better than anyone. I’d say 85% of Cardinal fans on that forum would rather have Okudah, Simmons, and D. Brown over an OL and call the media out for not researching the team. It would be Wirfs or Wills, but only if those three elite talents are gone. And honestly, one should still be available. 

5 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Jerry Jeudy is just so smooth. Reminds me a lot of Chad Johnson. Him and Ruggs are 1a and 1b for me.

Jeudy also very underrated after the catch his ability to stop and go and change directions is too nice! 

Cant wait for the draft 

You and I have the same exact opinion. Jeudy is 1a for me and Ruggs is 1b. I see most of the forum prefers Lamb, maybe a good 65-70%, so it’s nice to see some shared opinions! 

3 hours ago, raidr4life said:

12. Henry Ruggs

19. Jaylon Johnson trade down if possible.

Two guys who can start instantly.

You and I would both be greatly happy with this result. Give me DT Jordan Elliott and QB Jalen Hurts at 80/81 as well (I’d like S Terrell Burgess but I think he’ll be long gone by 80). 

Just look at the roster... what positions could use rookie to develop, get an idea of how many Rookies/ UDFA Raiders could use... 

RB- 1 

WR- 2 

T- I think we sign a cheap vet to challenge Parker/sharpe since they are young. 

G-  1 

Offense: 4 

DE- 1 

DT- 1 

LB- 2 (lack depth)

CB- 1 

S- 1 

Defense: 6 

Raiders have room to take on a 10 man rookie class. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

CIN - Joe Burrow QB LSU
This is a no brainer.

WAS - Chase Young DE OSU
Ron Rivera is bringing a 4-3 to Washington. Johnathan Allen will slide inside next to Payne with Sweat on the outside. Kerrigan is getting old and Chase will complete a DL that could wreck havoc for years.

LAC - Tua Tagovailoa QB Alabama
The Chargers send a 2020 1st and 3rd and a 2021 1st to move up for the QBotF. Tyrod starts the year and Tua will probably finish it.

NYG - Isaiah Simmons LB/S Clemson
This is where the draft swings. The giants could go OT (Willis) or WR (Juedy) here and fill bigger needs. But I think Gettleman can't resist Simmons and he jumps on it.

MIA - Justin Herbert QB Oregon
Miami has a bunch of picks and a bunch of holes. They get their QBotF and didn't have to give up any extra picks for him

DET - Derrick Brown DT Auburn
It's a toss up between Okudah and Brown here. I think Patricia knows he is on the hot seat and a Rookie DT has greater game changing ability then a Rookie CB so the impact will be felt earlier with Brown.

LVR - Jeffery Okudah CB OSU
I think Mayock sends 12, 80 and 91 (1526 pts) to Carolina for pick 7 (1500 pts). Gets a lock down corner to play across form Mullen.

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Dillon only had 21 receptions throughout his 3 years at BC.

And I've only been in 2 real fights in my life but that doesn't have anything to do with my ability in martial arts which I have trained in for the past 20 years.

Just because the stats don't bear something out doesn't mean it's been disproved.

Dillon looked natural and proficient at the combine catching the ball and running routes.

Add that to the other points I made in my previous post and I think Dillon would be a solid addition.

• Like 2