Does our defence look as good to anybody else as it does to me?

Hail Mary

1 hour ago, SSG said:

I agree.  I don't see anymore than 4 sacks with most of those coming in mop up.  I don't see him beating NFL tackles for sacks consistently from the edge. 

IMO he'll never be a star but I don't think he's going to bust because he'll always be able to be used on the inside.  I don't understand how anyone could have watched him last year and come away believing that he's an elite pass rusher.  

I could see 7 sacks with a good number coming as an inside rusher/stunter.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Never have I said he's going to bust. I am saying that he's not going to be an All-Pro his rookie year like so many seem to be excited about.

12 sacks is still my prediction, plus one all-pro vote.

2 hours ago, SSG said:

IMO he'll never be a star but I don't think he's going to bust because he'll always be able to be used on the inside.  I don't understand how anyone could have watched him last year and come away believing that he's an elite pass rusher.  

Im glad there is so much disagreement on Gary. It makes, this offseason bearable. I do see a dominant pass rusher. I’ve said this before. He has an outside speed rush. He had a bull rush. He has an inside one arm jab and drive and and he has a speed to power hump move. Right now. 

Hes only going to get better. 

Oversized edge rushers in the big 10 always get stuck playing run first because it’s so important to stop the run in that conference. Tape and stats don’t line up. Period. 

Edited by boratt

I could see 7 sacks with a good number coming as an inside rusher/stunter.

I'd say this is my prediction as well.  Gary's going to be a handful on stunts, just wonder what the rest of his game will look like.  It wouldn't shock me if he had 10+ sacks, but it also wouldn't shock me if he only got 1-2.  

I have to be honest, the player I'm most curious about on defense this year is Fackrell.  On paper, you gotta figure he'll be playing edge rusher in the pressure packages with Preston while Gary/Z man the interior.  But what's his role outside that?  I mean the man had 10.5 sacks, and he got them in just about every way you can outside, he bullrushed, he ran the arc, inside counter spin, stunting, you name it he did.  But his overall pressure numbers weren't great and they had him in coverage a huge chunk of the time for an edge rusher; hell, just given how many snaps Reggie got is pretty damning for what they thought about Fackrell for most of the year because Gilbert really struggled last season.  I mean easily graded out as the worst defender on the team for me (I didn't grade Burks), not even close.  Fackrell did take his snaps eventually, but it took a lot longer than it should have and I wonder why.  Some of that may be that Fackrell is a bad fit for how Pettine likes his guys to play and some is probably that Fackrell actually is a pretty solid coverage LB (6'5" with legit change of direction and agility), but you gotta wonder what exactly they plan to do with him at this point.

41 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I'd say this is my prediction as well.  Gary's going to be a handful on stunts, just wonder what the rest of his game will look like.  It wouldn't shock me if he had 10+ sacks, but it also wouldn't shock me if he only got 1-2.  

I have to be honest, the player I'm most curious about on defense this year is Fackrell.  On paper, you gotta figure he'll be playing edge rusher in the pressure packages with Preston while Gary/Z man the interior.  But what's his role outside that?  I mean the man had 10.5 sacks, and he got them in just about every way you can outside, he bullrushed, he ran the arc, inside counter spin, stunting, you name it he did.  But his overall pressure numbers weren't great and they had him in coverage a huge chunk of the time for an edge rusher; hell, just given how many snaps Reggie got is pretty damning for what they thought about Fackrell for most of the year because Gilbert really struggled last season.  I mean easily graded out as the worst defender on the team for me (I didn't grade Burks), not even close.  Fackrell did take his snaps eventually, but it took a lot longer than it should have and I wonder why.  Some of that may be that Fackrell is a bad fit for how Pettine likes his guys to play and some is probably that Fackrell actually is a pretty solid coverage LB (6'5" with legit change of direction and agility), but you gotta wonder what exactly they plan to do with him at this point.

Pettine only wanted to play one of the non power guys (Clay/Fackrell) at a time. It will be interesting to see who gets the drop responsibilities between Fackrell and Preston. 

One option would be to have Fackrell playing the non Martinez inside LB in the pressure package rather than Burks/Jones. You could also play a 5 man front line with Zadarius or Gary over the Center. 

You might give some thought to even pulling Martinez for Fackrell in the dime.

22 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Consistently overweight?  Do you have any kind of source for this, because he looked more or less the same to me through at least 2013.  I don't buy the idea that his drop in performance had anything to do with laziness.  There's a number of factors:

• He was playing a preposterously high number of snaps for a 340 lb NT:
  • The group around him got much worse in the pass rush.  Pickett was nothing more than a space eater from 2011 on, Jenkins left, and the guys tapped to replace him (Mike Neal, Datone Jones) did not do so.  In 2011 and most of 2012 Raji and Matthews were the only plus rushers on the team who played regular snaps. 
  • The secondary got worse as well.  With Collins gone and Woodson aging the coverage was no longer good enough to force QBs to hold the ball with the same regularity.  

Raji clearly lost interest in the game by the end of his career, but I don't think it's fair to say that he threw away elite talent out of laziness.  The Packers simply didn't field a legitimate NFL front seven for a few years, and relied on their two studs to basically just hold it all together.

co-signed.

More on CB/S Natrell Jamerson here from PackersWire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/11/after-packers-pass-on-jalen-thompson-focus-shifts-to-natrell-jamerson/

“He does have position flexibility. He’s played out there (at safety). We know we can always put him back out there,” Pettine said, via the team’s official site. “He is playing some inside corner. He’s played some nickel this spring. But he does have a solid skill set for safety. He’s smart, he’s tough, he’s shown that he can tackle. I feel good about where he is going into training camp.”

ellw0qqhf299yvh5gpmv

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

...“He does have position flexibility. He’s played out there (at safety). We know we can always put him back out there,” Pettine said, via the team’s official site. “He is playing some inside corner. He’s played some nickel this spring. But he does have a solid skill set for safety. He’s smart, he’s tough, he’s shown that he can tackle. I feel good about where he is going into training camp.” 

So he's smart, fast, flexible, tough, and can tackle.  Seems kinda win-win-win-win-win....  

So, why did the Saints junk him off their 90-man roster, and bring 16 other secondary guys to camp ahead of him?  

Something doesn't add up.  Unfortunately, if there is a difference in evaluation, I tend to more trust the team who had him and watched his every snap at every practice as well as games....

6 minutes ago, craig said:
1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

...“He does have position flexibility. He’s played out there (at safety). We know we can always put him back out there,” Pettine said, via the team’s official site. “He is playing some inside corner. He’s played some nickel this spring. But he does have a solid skill set for safety. He’s smart, he’s tough, he’s shown that he can tackle. I feel good about where he is going into training camp.” 

So he's smart, fast, flexible, tough, and can tackle.  Seems kinda win-win-win-win-win....  

So, why did the Saints junk him off their 90-man roster, and bring 16 other secondary guys to camp ahead of him?  

Something doesn't add up.  Unfortunately, if there is a difference in evaluation, I tend to more trust the team who had him and watched his every snap at every practice as well as games....

What is Pettine supposed to say? He's obviously going to say good things about a guy fighting for a roster spot. 

• Like 1

No bad football players in the NFL. 

That reminds me of this

Okoye, a former British Olympic discus thrower, might be the most intriguing player among the 2,880 in NFL training camps. He’s certainly the most inexperienced.

“Our first goal was to get him to so he looks like a really bad football player,” defensive line coach Jim Tomsula said.

Lol. He wasn't trying to **** on him but he wasn't even a bad football player yet. Cracked me up when I first read it. I miss Tom Sula