Frank Gore- HOF?

-Hope-

Does Frank Gore belong in the HOF?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Does Frank Gore belong in the HOF?

• Yes
    • No

I don't like how people seem allergic to longevity inclusions into the Hall of Fame. 

*The average NFL career is 3.3 years. 
*It's probably significantly shorter for running backs, a position that might take the heaviest beating of any position.
*Gore has done it for 14 years and is currently tied for 53rd all-time in yards per carry.

It's not like he's just somehow blessed with longevity.  That takes work and commitment. 

• Like 7

His peak wasn't exemplary, it was extremely short, and he has little iconic moments to his career. Fred Taylor was a better runningback but no one would ever consider putting him in the hall. Longevity should be a factor, but it can't be the only thing of note on your resume.

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't like how people seem allergic to longevity inclusions into the Hall of Fame. 

*The average NFL career is 3.3 years. 
*It's probably significantly shorter for running backs, a position that might take the heaviest beating of any position.
*Gore has done it for 14 years and is currently tied for 53rd all-time in yards per carry.

It's not like he's just somehow blessed with longevity.  That takes work and commitment. 

Have no clue how accurate this is....

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league/

Says 2.57 years.

11 hours ago, Malik said:

His peak wasn't exemplary, it was extremely short, and he has little iconic moments to his career. Fred Taylor was a better runningback but no one would ever consider putting him in the hall. Longevity should be a factor, but it can't be the only thing of note on your resume.

Meh...i get what you are saying, but I'd say Taylor was a comparable running back, not a better one. People sleep on things like pass protection (Gore was one of the best of his generation in this regard) and Gore was a better receiver out of the backfield in my opinion. I'd definitely have Gore rated higher overall, though when it comes to actually running the football, I'd view them as comparable. 

On 7/19/2019 at 11:05 AM, iknowcool said:

How does this follow?  Martin's resume is more impressive than Gore's.  For as impressive as Gore's 1000 YFS streak has been, he only has 2 more of those than Martin's.  Gore only eclipsed 1500 YFS 2x and 10+ TDs once.  Martin did it 7x and 5x respectively.  Martin only made 1 All-Pro team, but he still made at least one as opposed to Gore's 0.

If anything, Martin being one of the least deserving HOFers (not necessarily my opinion, but I see the argument) shows how much Gore shouldn't make it.  There's been few guys to make the Hall of Fame without making an All-Pro team.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/#hof_players::6

Gore does have a 2nd team all-pro selection. 

Let's see...

Nearly 15,000 career rushing yards, good for 4th all-time

Still playing on the plus side of 35, which is unheard of for RB's 

Legit dual threat back, more seasons with 1200+ scrimmage yards than anyone in history having done it 12 times

And even for all the talk of him never truly being "elite", he still has 5 pro bowls and an All-Pro selection to his name

I'd say that's a HOF-worthy resume. Might take a few ballots, but I think he'll get in.   

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 11:05 AM, iknowcool said:

How does this follow?  Martin's resume is more impressive than Gore's.  For as impressive as Gore's 1000 YFS streak has been, he only has 2 more of those than Martin's.  Gore only eclipsed 1500 YFS 2x and 10+ TDs once.  Martin did it 7x and 5x respectively.  Martin only made 1 All-Pro team, but he still made at least one as opposed to Gore's 0.

If anything, Martin being one of the least deserving HOFers (not necessarily my opinion, but I see the argument) shows how much Gore shouldn't make it.  There's been few guys to make the Hall of Fame without making an All-Pro team.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/#hof_players::6

Excluding active players (the other being Adrian Peterson, another sure-fire Hall of Famer), there's only one player who is in the Top 16 all-time rushing leaders to not have made the hall of fame, that being #13 - Edgerrin James (who has been a semi-finalist for the last three years and will probably make it in sooner or later).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_career.htm

Frank Gore would be 4th if he retired today. He has an extremely good chance to surpass Barry Sanders as 3rd all time (he's 521 yards behind as of now).

He's getting in. Probably not first ballot, but he's getting in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Excluding active players (the other being Adrian Peterson, another sure-fire Hall of Famer), there's only one player who is in the Top 16 all-time rushing leaders to not have made the hall of fame, that being #13 - Edgerrin James (who has been a semi-finalist for the last three years and will probably make it in sooner or later).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_career.htm

Frank Gore would be 4th if he retired today. He has an extremely good chance to surpass Barry Sanders as 3rd all time (he's 521 yards behind as of now).

He's getting in. Probably not first ballot, but he's getting in.

That doesn't mean much to me considering Gore is clearly nowhere near a lot of the players on that list.  He'd easily have among the least memorable career, along with James.  And even James had far more top seasons, statistically than Gore.  Who was better or not might be up for debate given James played on a much better team.

What are people supposed to remember about Gore, other than he had a long career relative to RBs?  His seasons since the 49ers have been 4 mostly inefficient years.  

2015 - 5th in touches, 11th in YFS

2016 - 7th in touches, 12th in YFS

2017 - 9th in touches, 14th in YFS

2018 - 32 in touches,  33rd in YFS

2018 is the only year where his yards per touch were in line with his usage.  And I'm not saying it's all his fault either.  However, if Gore wasn't considered by people to be a HOFer after his stint with the 49ers (a 10 year career that would have been long, but nothing too out of the norm), then I don't think 4 seasons where the majority of people didn't consider him to be a top 10/15 back should propel him in to the HOF.  If he had an AD-like 10 years and then had those seasons, it isn't a big deal because all those years are doing is adding to his resume.  Whereas with Gore, it feels like those seasons aren't adding but building his resume, if that makes sense.

Gore might make the HOF.  I wouldn't doubt it and it doesn't really matter to me.  But his lack of dominance or memorable seasons are what stop him from being a lock.  10 years from now, it is far more likely people say, "Damn, Gore is 3rd in career rushing yards?" than "Gore finished 3rd in career rushing yards, what a great player."  I think that now seeing Carson Palmer 13th in career passing yards.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trying really hard to take the Niners rose-colored glasses off for this.

I get it.  For most fans of other teams, you're probably watching the highlights at the end of the day on Sunday and don't see a whole lot of clips of Frank Gore.  He's not a flashy player.  He's not in the news.  Hell, most people are probably thinking, "Gore is still playing?"  And, I totally understand looking at career stats and thinking, "Meh, it's pretty good, but you can't put someone in the Hall of Fame based on longevity alone."

While some people have mentioned it already, I just don't think enough can be said about his pass protection.  Google Frank Gore Pass Protection.  You will see a ton of videos, forum discussions, and sports writers talking about his pass protection skills.  I'm pretty sure every quarterback he's played with has gone on record about it at some point.

As for the longevity angle, I'm usually in the same frame of mind as others when they're not as impressed with "bulk stats because they played for so long" players.  But, we're talking about the running back position here.  A 36 year old running back and he's still productive?  That's insane.  I know I don't have access to the medical staff these players do, but I played a lot of sports back in school and my body started to give me the finger at about 33.  I'm 41 now and I absolutely regret putting that much wear and tear on my body.  It wasn't worth it, man.  I don't have millions to show for it.  lol

He's got my vote, but I understand why others may not feel like he's good enough for the Hall of Fame.  

15 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Hell no and this is someone whose watched him forever when he was in the Niners. Never felt he was special. 

Is it going to be painful to see him getting inducted while the only thing Jackson gets selected for in retirement is an NFL drug test? 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Is it going to be painful to see him getting inducted while the only thing Jackson gets selected for in retirement is an NFL drug test? 

Nah. Jackson was special man. We don’t have many guys built that in this league at all. He’ll be #1 in our hearts. Leading rusher of arguably the richest team in history when it comes to RBS.

• Like 1