What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

On 9/27/2019 at 2:33 PM, mission27 said:

While mission respects goats mission also respects goats enough to eat them in certain situations, in order that other goats can live, there are times you make sacrifices for the whole 

@TLO may feel more strongly anti eating goat 

I grew up on a goat farm.  They're the best thing you can possibly have to clear a piece of land.  Plus they're cool animals.  I've actually only ever eaten them in curry though.

On 9/27/2019 at 4:53 PM, Shady Slim said:

drew magary on deadspin loaded up on the idea of a healthy chilli in that it ruins chilli and that the point of chilli is to eat like a fat ****, which is a shame, because i’m quite the fan of his articles but also someone who makes healthy chilli pretty well on the regular for my healthy nachos 

Chili can be somewhat healthy and still good af.  I usually make chili with chorizo, so it's got a good bit of fat in it, but I also load it up with black beans, chiles, tomatoes, peppers, corn, garlic, and onions, so overall it ain't bad.  Especially if you eat it with something else on the side and garnish it with healthy stuff too.  I usually use cilantro and greek yogurt (sour cream substitute) myself, which makes it even healthier, and it's legitimately a really good chili (if you're not one of those weird midwesterners who eats chili without beans in it).  I won a chili cookoff with it in law school.

I think most people do healthy versions of things wrong.  If you're trying to make something terrible for you into a health food, you're gonna fail.  The key is to make it somewhat healthier for damage control, so you don't sacrifice flavor.  So long as you aren't eating it every meal, it's no biggie.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last few weekends I have been getting my bread game going. First loaf was meh, second loaf much better. Using a low knead, cook it dutch oven recipe. Hardest part is waiting around for the dough to rise. Been part of my Sunday routine. Make dough during 10am games, finish dough during after noon, bread before the Sunday night game. 

Last night used a Honey-Cinnamon Sweet Potato recipe I have been enjoying lately. Served with some simple pork chop loins.

Night before was crispy chicken leg quarters and roasted Delicata Squash. Delicata squash is awesome, super cheap, easy to prepare/cook, tasty. High recommend. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

got some chuck filet on sale b1g3f. made one basic, salt pepper, butter, sear, etc. was fine. 

so I made some shredded beef tacos w/ the rest

seared them, caramelized onion. then beef broth, 2 chipotle peppers (in adobo sauce), dry guajillo chile, orange juice, lime juice, a little ketchup and sriracha (didn't have tomato paste so went w/ these), salt + pepper, cumin, a little oregano, crushed up garlic. let it simmer for 3ish hours. sauce was a little funky but the meat was delicious. 

made some basic guac + pico, had some homemade salsa from sister's bday party, lettuce + shredded cheese. and of course flour, not corn, tortillas 

was delicious

On 08/10/2019 at 12:40 PM, ET80 said:

Lemon pepper chicken...

https://reluctantentertainer.com/skillet-lemon-chicken/

Came out pretty good, if I say so myself. 

I was gonna ream this "lemon pepper" chicken recipe as like...duh...this should be easy.  But then i actually loved the idiotic preamble.  Let this recipe bring us all together imo.

But i'm still wondering about randomly adding milk at the end of the process.  I'm not feeling great about that.  How does that work really?