What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

That's good stuff.

Kind of a weird segue, I am just now at the point in my life where I'm starting to appreciate/get into earthy flavors (I also like gamey meats personally) thanks to some bourbons that I've been able to try...so I bet I'd really like it.

I ate a lot more game meat as a kid, kind of lost my taste for it.

Though I did shoot and eat a rabbit two weeks ago, even knowing it was rabbit I could not tell the difference between it and chicken.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Venison is the GOAT of meats.

Goat, strangely enough, isn't the GOAT, but it's aight too.

We didn’t hunt much but the rest of our family did, venison was always a treat…. Don’t know when I lost the taste for it but it’s not for me in the twilight years  

does venison cover elk meat in your neck of the woods or is that strictly a term for deer meat there?

Edited by Dome

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

We didn’t hunt much but the rest of our family did, venison was always a treat…. Don’t know when I lost the taste for it but it’s not for me in the twilight years  

does venison cover elk meat in your neck of the woods or is that strictly a term for deer meat there?

We don't really have elk, so it just refers to deer meat here.  When I've talked to people who go hunt elk elsewhere, they usually just call it elk meat.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

We don't really have elk, so it just refers to deer meat here.  When I've talked to people who go hunt elk elsewhere, they usually just call it elk meat.

Interesting… in my experience people who hunt or eat game regularly call deer venison and elk meat elk meat, but there have been an influx of yuppies looking for “elk venison” and I’m not sure what’s causing that terminology to take off.

I know technically they are right, it’s just interesting how’s that’s changed over the last 5 years or so 

9 hours ago, Dome said:

Interesting… in my experience people who hunt or eat game regularly call deer venison and elk meat elk meat, but there have been an influx of yuppies looking for “elk venison” and I’m not sure what’s causing that terminology to take off.

I know technically they are right, it’s just interesting how’s that’s changed over the last 5 years or so 

Just speculating wildly here, but i'd maybe guess the "yuppies" looking for elk venison, are probably looking for wild elk, rather than the farmed stuff that's popped up all over?  Or possibly...the exact opposite?  idk.

People here just call it Elk, Moose, Deer usually.  lol.

Edited by Tugboat

19 hours ago, scar988 said:

Yeah, it's not that easy. But I get why it looks like that.

Why not?  What's so complicated?

I get that not everyone can turn a smoker on.  Push "smoke".  And then later, take the meat out.  But how hard could it be?

14 hours ago, Dome said:

The way grass fed beef has a different earthy flavor than isn’t there with grain fed beef, quail has a different earthy flavor than chicken, but it’s very similar. 

On this note...it's genuinely startling, if you grow up in a cattle area.  And then move somewhere, like way out east, and suddenly the Beef doesn't taste properly beefy anymore.  And it's like...wtf?  I've got a beef with this beef.  It tastes weird.

It's more so, like Grass-fed vs Corn Sileage force-fed i guess.  But man, it's a pronounced difference.  In poor *** consumer grade meats at least.  But it shows up in a lot of the cheaper restaurants and pubs 'n stuff too.  It's like eating a different meat.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Why not?  What's so complicated?

I get that not everyone can turn a smoker on.  Push "smoke".  And then later, take the meat out.  But how hard could it be?

There's a lot more to it than that. A LOT more to it than that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Just speculating wildly here, but i'd maybe guess the "yuppies" looking for elk venison, are probably looking for wild elk, rather than the farmed stuff that's popped up all over?  Or possibly...the exact opposite?  idk.

This could be it.

As far as I know there isn’t a way to sell wild game in Washington state.

On 10/24/2021 at 9:27 AM, D82 said:

Made loaded bacon potato cheddar soup last night. Turned out great. 

Add some browned kielbasa sausage next time, to load up even more imo.  But it's pretty hard to combine bacon, potatoes, and cheese...in a way that doesn't result in something pretty nice to eat.

On 10/22/2021 at 1:37 PM, Dome said:

This could be it.

As far as I know there isn’t a way to sell wild game in Washington state.

Guessing they're probably just looking for a "boutique" experience, with their Venison.  Whatever the limits on that may be.

Up Canada way, there are some pretty murky rules on wild game sales.

Made wings for football today. My 4 year old grabbed on of my hotwings instead of her bbq ones. Poor girl. She spit it out and kept saying "hot hot hot"   lol 

Glad I don't do some of the crazy hotsauces some of you guys might do. If it gets much hotter than a jalapeno I don't even bother anymore. On a positive note she will probably not steal food off my plate when I'm doing something.