What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Made wings for football today. My 4 year old grabbed on of my hotwings instead of her bbq ones. Poor girl. She spit it out and kept saying "hot hot hot"   lol 

Glad I don't do some of the crazy hotsauces some of you guys might do. If it gets much hotter than a jalapeno I don't even bother anymore. On a positive note she will probably not steal food off my plate when I'm doing something.

lol I have a mustard based hot sauce that I put in my mac & cheese and on hot dogs sometimes. The last time I used it, I dumped entirely too much on my dogs. It soaked into the buns by the time I got to eating them. I took two bites, about died, and had to switch up dinner because I wasn't about to fight my body on a night I had to work the next day.

I'm glutton for punishment usually but I'm noticing as I get older, it's getting more difficult to deal with it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

lol I have a mustard based hot sauce that I put in my mac & cheese and on hot dogs sometimes. The last time I used it, I dumped entirely too much on my dogs. It soaked into the buns by the time I got to eating them. I took two bites, about died, and had to switch up dinner because I wasn't about to fight my body on a night I had to work the next day.

I'm glutton for punishment usually but I'm noticing as I get older, it's getting more difficult to deal with it.

Lol. That sounds great in moderation. I use a bit of mustard powder as a thickener for my mac and cheese sometimes. 

I have two brothers that eat everything as spicy as they can. They even make their own hot sauces. All of it just hurts, there's no flavor, just heat. I would always match up with them when I was in that stupid tough guy mindset until I was like 23 or something. Realized I'm not looking that tough when I'm seatbelted to the damn toilet so no more. Haha

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Lol. That sounds great in moderation. I use a bit of mustard powder as a thickener for my mac and cheese sometimes. 

I have two brothers that eat everything as spicy as they can. They even make their own hot sauces. All of it just hurts, there's no flavor, just heat. I would always match up with them when I was in that stupid tough guy mindset until I was like 23 or something. Realized I'm not looking that tough when I'm seatbelted to the damn toilet so no more. Haha

Yeah I don't get the appeal of the no flavor, all pain hot sauces at all. All the stuff I have is delicious so that's a huge factor for me. If I'm going to put myself through hell later, I'm going to enjoy the **** out of it now, ya know? LOL

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah I don't get the appeal of the no flavor, all pain hot sauces at all. All the stuff I have is delicious so that's a huge factor for me. If I'm going to put myself through hell later, I'm going to enjoy the **** out of it now, ya know? LOL

Exactly how I describe my gluttony. 😂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The secret to surviving any hot sauce event is to eat 1-2 Tums BEFORE you eat the hot stuff.
That way the Tums fight the fight for you so your intestines don't have to do all the heavy lifting. Also ameliorates any painful passing the next day.  Pre-Game Tums are your friend....and allow you to eat hot stuff with impunity

65f610c8-6335-434d-bc34-604c850c4d7a_1.e

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 5:27 PM, Shanedorf said:

The secret to surviving any hot sauce event is to eat 1-2 Tums BEFORE you eat the hot stuff.
That way the Tums fight the fight for you so your intestines don't have to do all the heavy lifting. Also ameliorates any painful passing the next day.  Pre-Game Tums are your friend....and allow you to eat hot stuff with impunity

Loquaciousness at its finest. 😁

Just teasing, I had to look up the ameliorates to make sure I knew what it meant properly. So I learned two things from one post. Kudos.

• Like 1

Tried my hand at a chicken and sausage gumbo.

Used an amber lager in it. It smells good, but I haven't tried it yet since it I'm still waiting for the roux to cook off, but hopefully it was worth it cause I was standing a long *** time stirring the roux waiting for it to get to the right color lol. I'm not expecting it to be amazing, cause gumbo doesn't seem like one of those dishes you master the first time you try it. 

On 11/24/2021 at 3:27 PM, Shanedorf said:

65f610c8-6335-434d-bc34-604c850c4d7a_1.e

Pro Tip...

Assorted Berries Flavour are functionally disgusting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

On Thursday I'm planning on making barbacoa tacos following the recipe here:  https://fiestamarket.com/en/barbacoa-beef/

Is there a real difference between cooking the beef in a crock pot vs. on the stove?  Like will it really affect the quality of the meal?

Side note, from that same site, I made the salsa verde the other day and it was fantastic.  And so easy to make.  Big salsa verde guy over here.  

I'm also contemplating making home made tortillas to go with this, but that may be a bit ambitious.  I'll have to have some others on hand if it doesn't go well.

9 hours ago, CBears019 said:

On Thursday I'm planning on making barbacoa tacos following the recipe here:  https://fiestamarket.com/en/barbacoa-beef/

Is there a real difference between cooking the beef in a crock pot vs. on the stove?  Like will it really affect the quality of the meal?

Side note, from that same site, I made the salsa verde the other day and it was fantastic.  And so easy to make.  Big salsa verde guy over here.  

I'm also contemplating making home made tortillas to go with this, but that may be a bit ambitious.  I'll have to have some others on hand if it doesn't go well.

A lot of those recipes are designed for slow-cooking/braising, but you could still do it however you want.  For best effect, you should sear it and then slow cook it.  

If you’ve only got a few minutes?  Then sure, stove-top will be fine.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

A lot of those recipes are designed for slow-cooking/braising, but you could still do it however you want.  For best effect, you should sear it and then slow cook it.  

If you’ve only got a few minutes?  Then sure, stove-top will be fine.  

I've got time to do it right.  The recipe video shows it on the stove top for 6 hours.  Is is best to do that on the lowest heat, or use a crock pot?

2 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I've got time to do it right.  The recipe video shows it on the stove top for 6 hours.  Is is best to do that on the lowest heat, or use a crock pot?

We have a Le Creuset braising dish so we would do it that way if we were home with it.  

Crockpot is safer, especially if you have kids/pets running around, or have to leave the house.

Might be better in the stove top, but really, I think this would be good any number of ways including crockpot or oven.  

• Like 1