What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

Had an offweek for my son's football team so we grilled for lunch and went to a playground. Ribeye, corn on the cob and wife made potato salad. Kids played while the wife and I digested.

Dinner I made french onion soup, toasted Parmesan cheese bread, and garlic green beans. Took about two hours to get the onions caramelized and then reduced to where I wanted but damn it hit the spot.

I made a Jambalaya with Kielbasa sausage, because i'm quirky like that.  And most of the time, i just straight up can't find Andouille anywheres about here.

The other day though, i cooked parts of a duck, with a blackberry orange balsamic reduction and it was delicious as heck and i was pretty proud of that i think.  I'd eat that lots.  If duck boobs didn't cost more than three times what a chicken's does.

On 7/15/2021 at 2:50 PM, scar988 said:

Trust me, they haven't. Southern cooking is the heartiest of them all. But no one goes to Ohio for Ohio-style BBQ. There's a difference between BBQ and grilling out too. 

This is true.

We got some of the legit best meats in the entire world up Canada way, great grillin'.  But ain't nobody bragging about "Canadian BBQ".

• 3 weeks later...

For most of my life, I took stuff out of the fridge and then started cooking it right away- both meats and veggies, etc

Lately, I've become enamored with the idea of taking food out of fridge ahead of time and letting it warm up to room temp before I start cooking. (30-60 mins) It certainly matters more with the meats, but it helps on other foods too

You are basically getting "free heat" from the fridge at 40 degrees up to room temp of 65 degrees. That shortens cook time significantly -  which in turn keeps things tender, juicy and makes for a better meal.

Added bonus, less energy consumed.  (I realize that many folks already do this... but I'm a slow lerner )

On 10/3/2021 at 6:25 PM, twslhs20 said:

I slow cooked mozzarella stuffed meatballs for spaghetti tonight. Surprisingly good.

And i thought they had mozzarella on the outside.  

I've basically given up on stuffing things with other things.  It literally never turns out like i want.  It always sounds cool.  But most of the time, it just seems to screw up the cook on whatever the outside thing is to get the inside thing right.  Or cooks the outside thing right, to the detriment of whatever it's been stuffed with.  Hard enough to cook one thing just right.  Don't need two moving windows going opposite directions injected into the process.

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I've basically given up on stuffing things with other things.  It literally never turns out like i want.  It always sounds cool.  But most of the time, it just seems to screw up the cook on whatever the outside thing is to get the inside thing right.  Or cooks the outside thing right, to the detriment of whatever it's been stuffed with.  Hard enough to cook one thing just right.  Don't need two moving windows going opposite directions injected into the process.

These were slow cooked in a crock pot for 6 hours. I think that is why it worked out.

I've tried to grill stuffed burgers and it was a disaster so I tend to agree. more movement to keep things even is where it goes wrong.

9 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

These were slow cooked in a crock pot for 6 hours. I think that is why it worked out.

I've tried to grill stuffed burgers and it was a disaster so I tend to agree. more movement to keep things even is where it goes wrong.

Slow cookers are magic.  But i also don't understand how you put cheese in a thing for 6 hours and resulted in anything other than juice.

On 10/5/2021 at 6:53 AM, Tugboat said:

phrasing.

Also, this is why I like doing bacon wrapped or prosciutto wrapped things. I throw some prosciutto wrapped apples on the smoker and they come out amzing.