What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Guys, I’d highly recommend homemade French dip subs. 1 loaf-2 loaves Italian bread, a roast in a crockpot with a cup of Pinot noir, a couple cans of beef broth, and rub the rosy in salt, pepper, and dry French onion soup. Finish it in the oven (roast, bread, provolone) on 350 for 5-8 minutes to get it toasted and meted. Serve with au jois.

How long do you do her in the crockpot? Low for 7 hrs or so?

On 10/19/2020 at 6:41 PM, MWil23 said:

I have a slight rice allergy. It’s about the only thing on this earth I will not eat. I know, strange.

lmao, what a strange and unfortunate allergy.  Rice kinda sucks anyway, but it's a great vehicle for so many other things that don't suck. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/2017/1/18/kevinschili%3fformat=amp

I made this yesterday and it was watery like stew. Still good, but I want it to have the thickness of chili. Any ideas why it wasn’t thick? I used soda water instead of the Mexican lager cause I don’t want alcohol and figured the carbonation would suffice and only sacrifice a little flavor. Should I have waited to add all the ingredients until the soda water had evaporated a bit off? Should I add more cornmeal? A little too much oil maybe? Next time I’m going to cook the steak in another pan so it doesn’t have all the grease and whatnot in it too. 

6 hours ago, Ty21 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/2017/1/18/kevinschili%3fformat=amp

I made this yesterday and it was watery like stew. Still good, but I want it to have the thickness of chili. Any ideas why it wasn’t thick? I used soda water instead of the Mexican lager cause I don’t want alcohol and figured the carbonation would suffice and only sacrifice a little flavor. Should I have waited to add all the ingredients until the soda water had evaporated a bit off? Should I add more cornmeal? A little too much oil maybe? Next time I’m going to cook the steak in another pan so it doesn’t have all the grease and whatnot in it too. 

Just letting it cook longer would thicken it as the water evaporates but then you might have to turn the heat up enough to risk overcooking the chuck steak. More cornmeal would definitely thicken it but that may give a sand-like texture to it if you used enough to thicken it.

For soups and stuff I usually do a cornstarch/water slurry in a bowl then add it to the soup. Takes just a few minutes and it thickens up and you only need to cook it off for like 5 minutes to make sure there is no flavor or anything from it. Looking there I see 32oz of stock and 12 oz beer ( or soda water) so I would do 2 tablespoon waters and 2 tablespoons cornstarch together in a slurry, then add it to the chili (1 tablespoon each per 2 cups fluid). You can always add more in 5 minutes if its not thick enough. 

Even if it is a meat that needs to cook low and slow to be tender I will still sear it before adding it to the stew. That's flavor that I just don;t think you get without doing it, I bet you'll like it more that way.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Have a smaller cheap from a yard sale, one that goes only over one side. Its awesome, especially if you are wanting to make a lot of pancakes or bacon. I imagine that one is better than the one I have.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/10/2021 at 10:02 PM, Sugashane said:

One of the ladies asked my family  (they came down to stay with me for a week or so) to come over for dinner, and I had real Louisiana seafood gumbo.

IL needs to get its **** straight, this was the best I've had by far.

Northern states can't make southern food. They're terrible at smoking meats too.

5 hours ago, scar988 said:

They're terrible at smoking meats too.

Up here in Ohio, we'd mock guys like you. You'd enjoy some smoked meat, good homemade sides, some cold drinks, and great company. My paternal grandmother's Mennonite side forgot more about cooking than most of you all ever know/will know. :)