What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I don't really deep fry things often enough for that to make sense.  But good tip, nonetheless.  I also used some butter in the oil, so that's probably kaput anyway.

Probably.  But I don't deep fry often either, which is why I do it.  I just buy a big container of oil, use it only to fry, and then stick a funnel with a coffee filter on it and pour the oil back in.  Since I rarely use the entire gallon just cooking for me and my wife, some of the oil in the container is used, some isn't, so it lasts a little longer.

You'll only need to shell out the money for a big thing of oil every six months or so if you don't fry often.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:54 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Wife and her people are from just outside Seattle. I added red pepper flakes when I cooked the asparagus for a family dinner last week. SIL's husband and I didn't notice, but her whole family was violently sweating and asking why it was so spicy.

We made butternut squash and black bean tostadas last night. I want to like butternut squash, but I can't do it.

Hey in our defense, the biggest food cultures are Salmon, Sushi, Teriyaki and Vietnamese. All decidedly unspicy cuisines. 

Edited by animaltested

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Probably.  But I don't deep fry often either, which is why I do it.  I just buy a big container of oil, use it only to fry, and then stick a funnel with a coffee filter on it and pour the oil back in.  Since I rarely use the entire gallon just cooking for me and my wife, some of the oil in the container is used, some isn't, so it lasts a little longer.

You'll only need to shell out the money for a big thing of oil every six months or so if you don't fry often.

I honestly might not deep fry anything again in the next six months.  lol.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I didn't know Teriyaki restaurants were a thing before I went to Seattle.

I grew up thinking having a Teriyaki fastfood place on every block was normal. Wasnt until I moved back that I learned the style of Teriyaki here (thinly sliced, grilled chicken, slathered in a sweet, sticky sauce) was invented here. 

On 8/21/2020 at 9:54 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Wife and her people are from just outside Seattle. I added red pepper flakes when I cooked the asparagus for a family dinner last week. SIL's husband and I didn't notice, but her whole family was violently sweating and asking why it was so spicy.

We made butternut squash and black bean tostadas last night. I want to like butternut squash, but I can't do it.

Why so spicey ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  Lol.  I have relatives from the lower mainland BC who are like this too.  Everything is super bland, but extremely salty.  It's very old timey farmer style i guess...just meat, taters, and salt.

Also agreed on butternut squash.  Just honestly...all of the gourds, are frankly, kinda disgusting to eat.  They all have the weirdest textures.

Butternut squash is fantastic.  Yall are nuts (rimshot).  Makes a great pie, it's great in healthy mac and cheese, and great in soup too.

This will sound weird, but if you make a soup out of fish stock, a little celery, onion, garlic, parsley, a lot of butternut squash, and some goat cheese, it's excellent.  Add a little salmon at the end if you like things meaty.  Salt and pepper obviously too, and I like a little thyme, but that's me.  It would be fine without it.

50 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Butternut squash is fantastic.  Yall are nuts (rimshot).  Makes a great pie, it's great in healthy mac and cheese, and great in soup too.

This will sound weird, but if you make a soup out of fish stock, a little celery, onion, garlic, parsley, a lot of butternut squash, and some goat cheese, it's excellent.  Add a little salmon at the end if you like things meaty.  Salt and pepper obviously too, and I like a little thyme, but that's me.  It would be fine without it.

That does sound weird.

And honestly...a thing that is great in pie, there's no way that's also great in those other things.  It's just fundamentally incompatible.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

That does sound weird.

And honestly...a thing that is great in pie, there's no way that's also great in those other things.  It's just fundamentally incompatible.

Pumpkin and sweet potatoes make great pies too, but you'll also see them in savory dishes.

I made some lasagna a few days ago. 

My dad brought me some canned spaghetti sauce he made from his own garden that was amazing.  I used oven ready lasagna because I'm lazy. 

Threw in a bunch of fresh basil leaves, some olive oil, let that simmer for a while.  Then I put a bunch of ground beef in.  Like a lot of it.  Let that cook in with the basil leaves, some beef broth, salt, pepper, garlic powder.  Then I threw in a whole thing of Newman's Own pasta sauce.  Poured some half and half into the jar, shook it all up to get all the tomato sauce out of it.  Then I threw in a big glob of butter.  Turned that down and cooked it at a low heat. 

Cut up a bunch of zucchini, really really tiny.  Razor thin slices, then chopped those razor thin slices.  Threw that in another pan with some olive oil and let that cook a while.  Then I threw in another thing of Newman's Own pasta sauce, two things of ricotta cheese, salt and pepper.  Mixed that mixture with the ground beef, layered that mixture up on each layer of lasagna, topped each layer with an Italian blend of cheese, plus extra mozzarella.  Then I drowned the lasagna in my dad's spaghetti sauce and baked it.

It was pretty damn good. 

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Pumpkin and sweet potatoes make great pies too, but you'll also see them in savory dishes.

I honestly don't even like pumpkin pie anyway.  I just don't like gourds.  They have weird textures, and even when you pure them and make a filling...they still just kinda taste bad.

They're the literal "low hanging fruit" of nature.

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I made some lasagna a few days ago. 

My dad brought me some canned spaghetti sauce he made from his own garden that was amazing.  I used oven ready lasagna because I'm lazy. 

Threw in a bunch of fresh basil leaves, some olive oil, let that simmer for a while.  Then I put a bunch of ground beef in.  Like a lot of it.  Let that cook in with the basil leaves, some beef broth, salt, pepper, garlic powder.  Then I threw in a whole thing of Newman's Own pasta sauce.  Poured some half and half into the jar, shook it all up to get all the tomato sauce out of it.  Then I threw in a big glob of butter.  Turned that down and cooked it at a low heat. 

Cut up a bunch of zucchini, really really tiny.  Razor thin slices, then chopped those razor thin slices.  Threw that in another pan with some olive oil and let that cook a while.  Then I threw in another thing of Newman's Own pasta sauce, two things of ricotta cheese, salt and pepper.  Mixed that mixture with the ground beef, layered that mixture up on each layer of lasagna, topped each layer with an Italian blend of cheese, plus extra mozzarella.  Then I drowned the lasagna in my dad's spaghetti sauce and baked it.

It was pretty damn good. 

Why does he keep cans of spaghetti sauce in his garden