53 Man Roster Predictions 2019 Edition

VonKarman

18 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

How much field time is a #4 or 5 WR going to see in this offense? Me thinks not very much at all. 

I still think wr 4 would get plenty of run. LaFluer wants to run a little more. That doesn’t mean we are going 1980s. We likely still use many 3 wr sets (both rams and skins have, and it isn’t like we have plus TEs to run a lot of 12 personnel), which means our 4th wr probably plays 30-40% of snaps during the year after considering injuries.

On 8/1/2019 at 5:20 AM, FinneasGage said:

QB: Aaron Rodgers | Tim Boyle (2)
RB: Aaron Jones | Jamaal Williams | Dexter WilliamsDanny Vitale (4)
WR: Davante Adams Geronimo Allison | Marquez Valdes-Scantling | Equanimeous St. Brown | Trevor Davis | J'Mon Moore | Jake Kumerow  (7)
TE: Jimmy Graham | Robert Tonyan Jr. | Marcedes Lewis | Jace Sternberger (4) 
OL: David Bakhtiari | Bryan Bulaga | Corey Linsley | Lane Taylor | Billy Turner | Elgton Jenkins Jason Spirggs | Cole Madison | Alex Light  (9) 

DL: Kenny Clark | Dean Lowry | Montravius AdamsTyler Lancaster | Kingsley Keke Fadol Brown (6)
EDGE: Za'Darius Smith | Rashan Gary Preston Smith | Kyler Fackrell | Reggie Gilbert (5) 
ILB: Blake Martinez | Oren Burks | James Crawford (3)
CB: Jaire Alexander | Kevin King | Tramon Williams | Josh Jackson | Ka'Dar Hollman | Tony Brown (6)
S: Adrian Amos | Darnell Savage Jr. Raven Greene | Josh Jones (HYB)  (4)

QB: Aaron Rodgers | DeShone Kizer (2) Out: Tim Boyle
RB: Aaron Jones | Jamaal Williams | Darrin HallDanny Vitale (4) Out: Dexter Williams 
WR: Davante Adams Geronimo Allison | Marquez Valdes-Scantling | Jake Kumerow | Equanimeous St. Brown | Darrius Shepherd | Allen Lazard (7) Out: J'Mon Moore, Trevor Davis
OL: David Bakhtiari | Bryan Bulaga | Corey Linsley | Lane Taylor | Billy Turner | Elgton Jenkins Alex Light | Justin McCray | Cole Madison  (9) Out: Jason Spriggs

DL: Kenny Clark | Dean Lowry | Montravius AdamsTyler Lancaster | Kingsley Keke Fadol Brown (6)
EDGE: Za'Darius Smith | Rashan Gary Preston Smith | Kyler Fackrell | Reggie Gilbert (5) 
ILB: Blake Martinez  | Curtis BoltonJames Crawford (3) Out: Oren Burks/PUP
CB: Jaire Alexander | Kevin King | Tramon Williams | Ka'Dar Hollman | Tony Brown | Josh Jackson (6)
S: Adrian Amos | Darnell Savage Jr. Raven Greene | Ibraheim Campbell  (4) Out: Josh Jones

PUP: Oren Burks

FYI Burks cannot go on the PUP because he participated in training camp.

If you want to put him on IR but with the ability to recall him back once he's fit he has to stay on the final 53 man roster before putting him on IR.

If you IR him right now he will be deactivated for the entire season without the option of recalling him.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Really would be nice if we could sneak Sternberger on IR. At this point, he is unlikely to contribute anything of significance this year (I expect little out of any first year TE anyway). 

Honest question, how beneficial is really a redshirt IR year? The players can attend meetings but they cannot practice, right? Is a year of gym and meetings going to improve a player that much?

8 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Honest question, how beneficial is really a redshirt IR year? The players can attend meetings but they cannot practice, right? Is a year of gym and meetings going to improve a player that much?

TE is one of the hardest positions to learn. You need to learn all the blocking assignments like a lineman AND the receiver routes. Consequently, like mikebpackfan, I expect no more than a handful of snaps, and maybe not even on the 46 game day actives for the start of the season. How many times have you heard players in their second year say how much better they understand their playbook and assignments, compared to their rookie season.

Another thing that makes a difference is that they have had time in an NFL level weight room to improve their strength, cardio and diet, which might help some in the passing game, but even more when blocking. 

Finally, there is the coaching. More refined technique means better play.

Add all that together, and I think that a TE can improve a lot between their first and second year. 

14 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

TE is one of the hardest positions to learn. You need to learn all the blocking assignments like a lineman AND the receiver routes. Consequently, like mikebpackfan, I expect no more than a handful of snaps, and maybe not even on the 46 game day actives for the start of the season. How many times have you heard players in their second year say how much better they understand their playbook and assignments, compared to their rookie season.

Another thing that makes a difference is that they have had time in an NFL level weight room to improve their strength, cardio and diet, which might help some in the passing game, but even more when blocking. 

Finally, there is the coaching. More refined technique means better play.

Add all that together, and I think that a TE can improve a lot between their first and second year. 

I get all that and I don't expect Jace to contribute much, if anything, during 2019. My question was more directed as how much improvement does an IR year provide compared to being on the actual roster. I assume practicing all these assignments and routes with your teammates is much more valuable than just reading about them and hitting the gym.

I mean, for Montravious Adams a lot of people were saying he had lost his rookie year and that his sophomore was his actual rookie year. I don't see both stances (wanting an IR year for Jace vs dismissing Adams' IR year) computing, though it might have been different people in each case.

5 hours ago, Chili said:

FYI Burks cannot go on the PUP because he participated in training camp.

If you want to put him on IR but with the ability to recall him back once he's fit he has to stay on the final 53 man roster before putting him on IR.

If you IR him right now he will be deactivated for the entire season without the option of recalling him.

Is this all premature? He hyper extended was the final diagnosis, was it not? If so, that doesn't seem like an injury requiring such a long stint on IR. 

6 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

QB: Aaron Rodgers | DeShone Kizer (2) Out: Tim Boyle
RB: Aaron Jones | Jamaal Williams | Darrin HallDanny Vitale (4) Out: Dexter Williams 
WR: Davante Adams Geronimo Allison | Marquez Valdes-Scantling | Jake Kumerow | Equanimeous St. Brown | Darrius Shepherd | Allen Lazard (7) Out: J'Mon Moore, Trevor Davis
OL: David Bakhtiari | Bryan Bulaga | Corey Linsley | Lane Taylor | Billy Turner | Elgton Jenkins Alex Light | Justin McCray | Cole Madison  (9) Out: Jason Spriggs

ILB: Blake Martinez  | Curtis BoltonJames Crawford (3) Out: Oren Burks/PUP
CB: Jaire Alexander | Kevin King | Tramon Williams | Ka'Dar Hollman | Tony Brown | Josh Jackson (6)
S: Adrian Amos | Darnell Savage Jr. Raven Greene | Ibraheim Campbell  (4) Out: Josh Jones

PUP: Oren Burks

The idea the Packers won't keep 3 QB's is laughable with Aaron Rodgers injury history.

Don't know who Darin Hall is but I suspect Dexter Williams or someone not on the roster right now will be the 3rd RB. My money is someone not on the roster right now.

Don't see 4 TE's  on the fianl roster - not with keeping the FB.

Why should Madison make the roster over McCray - not a chance

DL other than Clark not all that impressive - whee is Mike Daniels when you need him

Pack will keep 4 ILB's and that puts Gilbert out

Josh Jones is only out if he gets traded so he might get traded for an ILB perhaps?

My opinion and I'm sure i'm wrong!

5 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

My question was more directed as how much improvement does an IR year provide compared to being on the actual roster.

That's a reasonable question and one of the comments from the coaches last year was that during OTA/TC they have a lot more time to coach techniques
Once the season starts, that teaching time is more scarce as the coaches are engulfed with game planning.
So Sternberger would get more coaching on the 53 than if he's on IR, but it wouldn't be as much as he got during OTA/TC

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

How much field time is a #4 or 5 WR going to see in this offense? Me thinks not very much at all. 

To answer this question, you're looking at them play roughly a third of the offensive snaps over the course of the year assuming the WRs ahead of him stay relatively healthy.