53 Man Roster Predictions 2019 Edition

VonKarman

9 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Easy to see why they kept Fadol Brown.  I had personally stated I had Looney at DL6 and was rooting for him to surprise make the team, but rewatching the Chiefs game it's clear why they kept Brown.  Stoked Looney is on the practice squad but Brown is a legit talent and he's ready to play now.  Man is 6'4", 280 with 35" arms and he plays with intensity.  Doesn't stay blocked and he never lets OL keep their hands on him.  Almost as violent in his clear as Z. Smith is.  There's a lot of talent there and it all plays today.

Really glad to see GB keep Fadol Brown too - and that was even after he missed all that time in TC.

Really wish we had the All-22 of preseason for Lazard more than almost anyone else.  Solid explosive numbers for such a big receiver, and he made plays this preseason.  But with the big WRs, it's all about whether or not they can get in and out of their breaks.  No way to tell from the TV copy, but the staff must like him and I love the energy he plays with.

9 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Really wish we had the All-22 of preseason for Lazard more than almost anyone else.  Solid explosive numbers for such a big receiver, and he made plays this preseason.  But with the big WRs, it's all about whether or not they can get in and out of their breaks.  No way to tell from the TV copy, but the staff must like him and I love the energy he plays with.

Lazard is listed as only 10 lbs lighter than Tonyan at the same size.  He's not winning by being a precise route runner.  He's going to win by creating leverage and boxing out opposing DB's.  If the QB puts the ball up, he's coming down with it.

Great red zone threat.  

3 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Lazard is listed as only 10 lbs lighter than Tonyan at the same size.  He's not winning by being a precise route runner.  He's going to win by creating leverage and boxing out opposing DB's.  If the QB puts the ball up, he's coming down with it.

Great red zone threat.  

Tonyan is almost certainly playing around 245-250 at this point.  He was at 235 coming out as a converted WR.  Are we converting Lazard to TE?  Because if not, he needs to be able to win outside and that's a very different game.  There's a reason there's so few successful big receivers in the NFL.  By any measure, the only pro-bowl caliber WRs who are 6'4" or taller I can think of are Evans, Green and Golladay.   The vast majority of high end receivers in the league are shorter guys.  It's just too difficult to be a purely jump ball receiver in the NFL, because corners are good at playing the ball and it's there aren't many QBs who can reliably place it where only the receiver can get it.  

Lazard doesn't have to be an elite route runner, but he needs to be able to at least keep the CB guessing what his route is.  If he's wearing his corner like a shirt every play, why not just put a smaller guy in?  Yeah it's great he can box someone out, but I'd rather have a guy who's open by three yards.

And as far as the redzone, that's largely been dominated by precision route runners and high end CoD guys for years.  Here's the top 20 guys in targets in the redzone in 2018:

1. Davante Adams - 6'1"
  2. Michael Thomas - 6'3" 
  3. JuJu Smith-Schuster  - 6'1"
  4. Zach Ertz - 6'5"
  5. Hopkins - 6'1"
  6. Alvin Kamara - 5'10"
  7. Travis Kelce - 6'5"
  8. DeAndre Hopkins - 6'1"
  9. Antonio Brown - 5'10"
  10. James White - 5'10"
  11. Eric Ebron - 6'4"
  12. Adam Thielen - 6'2"
  13. Julian Edelman - 5'10"
  14. Odell Beckham - 5'11"
  15. George Kittle - 6'4"
  16. Jarvis Landry - 5'11"
  17. Sterling Shepard - 5'10"
  18. Todd Gurley - 6'1"
  19. Stefon Diggs - 6'0"
  20. Brandin Cooks - 5'10"

Now, ignore the RBs since that's generally a different style of target, but you can see even from the rest that there's not a single 6'4"+ receiver on that list.  The only people 6'4" and over are TEs, and all of those TEs have exceptional movement skills.  The days of throwing a fade to your biggest guy on the outside are gone; there's just so many better ways to manipulate a defense when the field shrinks.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Donzo said:

7 WRs on the roster and 4 of them are are 4.55+ guys... :S

Adams, Allison, Davis Kumerow, MVS, Shepard. .................. who am I missing. According to their roster that is all of them. 

5 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

4 UDFA. Gute put all his resources this offseason in adding to the defense. Gotta think he'll flip it and look at adding to the offense next offseason.

If those are the six there are only 3 UDFA, but your point it well made. 

I do agree looking at this crew (Allison and Davis free agents) might want to draft one or two more. 

Edited by Golfman