2020 Draft Thread

Forge

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

There's going to be a interior O-Lineman that falls through the cracks and we should be right there to scoop them up. A upgrade@RG would help this offense tremendously. Brunskill and Skule should provide great depth. Tomlinson has been steady but he'll be in a contract year. Person hasn't been bad but we really need to find a long-term solution there. And Richburgh has been injured two years in a row so finding a younger alternative wouldn't be a bad idea either, tho that probably happens later in the draft. I just really want better overall talent along the interior. 

Let them know. They're live right now going through their latest mock. Only at the 6th pick as of this post.

I wanted a second or third round TE last year, just like PFF described. When we got Hurd I thought maybe he’d fill that role. The mismatches that having both Gronk and Hernandez on the field at the same time, you throw in Kittle’s blocking ability, I feel like Shanahan would create an offense that we’ve never seen before. Teams would have no idea what personnel to have on the field, no cues on run or pass, and with the quick pass style we have, one of those TE is going to be left free on just about every play.  I don’t think you could blitz on that offense. 

I’ve been pushing interior OL all year (and last year) and that’s still my hope. CB is moving up my list with Spoon giving me some doubts he’s the pro bowler I thought he was, but rest of this season will determine that.  Safety if we don’t resign Ward. Maybe receiver if we don’t keep Sanders. But I would not be crushed if we went with a tight end that’s an immediate difference maker if one slips. Would prefer that in a trade down though so we can address two issues, like interior line in the second and TE in the third or something. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

There's going to be a interior O-Lineman that falls through the cracks and we should be right there to scoop them up. A upgrade@RG would help this offense tremendously. Brunskill and Skule should provide great depth. Tomlinson has been steady but he'll be in a contract year. Person hasn't been bad but we really need to find a long-term solution there. And Richburgh has been injured two years in a row so finding a younger alternative wouldn't be a bad idea either, tho that probably happens later in the draft. I just really want better overall talent along the interior. 

Tomlinson has two years left on his deal, just fyi. Next year and the year after. 

Brunskill may end up a starter somewhere on the line at some point in time. His play has been starter quality pretty much no matter where we put him. I don't think we'll be able to keep him as a swiss army knife back up. I have no idea if that will eventually be tackle, center or RG...all could make sense. I'm curious to see how we restructured Richburg. I haven't been able to find any talk on that as of yet, but given his actual base salary levels, I don't think that anything significant could have been done that would have tied us and he together for an extra year. 

I agree with you regarding the interior lineman falling through the cracks. Especially ZBS type interior lineman. They always do. Problem is of course that we lack 2nd / 3rd / 4th round picks this year right now lol. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I wanted a second or third round TE last year, just like PFF described. When we got Hurd I thought maybe he’d fill that role. The mismatches that having both Gronk and Hernandez on the field at the same time, you throw in Kittle’s blocking ability, I feel like Shanahan would create an offense that we’ve never seen before. Teams would have no idea what personnel to have on the field, no cues on run or pass, and with the quick pass style we have, one of those TE is going to be left free on just about every play.  I don’t think you could blitz on that offense. 

I’ve been pushing interior OL all year (and last year) and that’s still my hope. CB is moving up my list with Spoon giving me some doubts he’s the pro bowler I thought he was, but rest of this season will determine that.  Safety if we don’t resign Ward. Maybe receiver if we don’t keep Sanders. But I would not be crushed if we went with a tight end that’s an immediate difference maker if one slips. Would prefer that in a trade down though so we can address two issues, like interior line in the second and TE in the third or something. 

Really wanted Foster Moreau as a 49er, but it was not to be. Not sure what Hurd will ever be, but back in the offseason, I too was looking at him as if he would be a flex TE. 

We are probably in good shape with Dwelley, tbh. If they don't see it, I would love for them to go after Randy Moss' son and LSU Tiger, Thaddeus Moss. He's a complete TE that was also underutilized (though not to the level that Moreau was, but the offense wasn't boosted that year).

Hope we do keep Sanders. Samuel and Bourne are fine as WR2 and WR3 (yes, Deebo could even be more), but we would need to put strong priority on WR1 somewhere, if no Sanders return. 

Safety seems a likely-high need. No longer sure about level of IOL priority, with the way some of these young guys have been performing. :/ 

5 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Really wanted Foster Moreau as a 49er, but it was not to be. Not sure what Hurd will ever be, but back in the offseason, I too was looking at him as if he would be a flex TE. 

We are probably in good shape with Dwelley, tbh. If they don't see it, I would love for them to go after Randy Moss' son and LSU Tiger, Thaddeus Moss. He's a complete TE that was also underutilized (though not to the level that Moreau was, but the offense wasn't boosted that year).

Hope we do keep Sanders. Samuel and Bourne are fine as WR2 and WR3 (yes, Deebo could even be more), but we would need to put strong priority on WR1 somewhere, if no Sanders return. 

Safety seems a likely-high need. No longer sure about level of IOL priority, with the way some of these young guys have been performing. :/ 

I think Dwelley is definitely a safe bet to make the roster next year given his versatility and giving him time at both tight end and as a fill in for Juice. I'm not sure if he'd be TE2 or 3, but I think he'll be on the roster for sure. I don't think that we have given Daniel Helm any time at TE in preseason; he seems to be strictly a full back spot. 

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think Dwelley is definitely a safe bet to make the roster next year given his versatility and giving him time at both tight end and as a fill in for Juice. I'm not sure if he'd be TE2 or 3, but I think he'll be on the roster for sure. I don't think that we have given Daniel Helm any time at TE in preseason; he seems to be strictly a full back spot. 

Oh definitely should have a safe spot on the roster, agreed. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Yea I think Helm is being groomed to eventually be a Juice understudy....

I would prefer an interior lineman, defensive back, or wide receiver, but I wouldn't mind the right tight end who would see the field with Kittle. If Shanahan feels a tight end is worth using our number one pick to get him, then that means he sees ways to use a 2nd TE a lot in his 2020 offense. There's definitely room for another long-term weapon on this team. 

21 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I would prefer an interior lineman, defensive back, or wide receiver, but I wouldn't mind the right tight end who would see the field with Kittle. If Shanahan feels a tight end is worth using our number one pick to get him, then that means he sees ways to use a 2nd TE a lot in his 2020 offense. There's definitely room for another long-term weapon on this team. 

Defensive lineman is lurking in the weeds too, as crazy as that sounds. 

I don't think Blair plays next year, to be honest. I think we will resign him, but at the very least, he starts on PUP or IR to return. Ford is older, one injury plagued season in, if we suffer something similar next season, he's not long for this team. Solomon Thomas is a complete and total bust at this point, and while there's no reason to trade him, I don't expect him back after next year. Street will get a crack, but I haven't found him impressive (Givens looked pretty okay against Seattle though). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think Blair plays next year, to be honest. I think we will resign him, but at the very least, he starts on PUP or IR to return. Ford is older, one injury plagued season in, if we suffer something similar next season, he's not long for this team. Solomon Thomas is a complete and total bust at this point, and while there's no reason to trade him, I don't expect him back after next year. Street will get a crack, but I haven't found him impressive (Givens looked pretty okay against Seattle though). 

Yea I think DE is still a need. Can't really trust Ford to play 16 games, as he's only done it once in his career. Thomas is a tweener with no real position. I really like Taylor and think he can eventually give us solid play as a 3-Tech and DE in base. But there's little depth beyond him. I too like Givens but too early to tell at this point. 

39 minutes ago, Forge said:

If we trade Solly what would he fetch a 5th round pick? 

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

If we trade Solly what would he fetch a 5th round pick? 

At best, I would imagine. He has one year left on his deal, zero production, and we aren't going to pick up his option. Tomlinson got a future fifth and he had 2 years left on his deal at the time of the trade. Corey Coleman got a 7th I think and he also had two years left on his deal. 

But trading him would save about 4.3 milion against the cap, and that could be a big deal, so we may not even require that kind of compensation. The problem is, with the defensive line turnover you may have, I don't think that you want to replace 3-4 players on your defensive line in one off season. I'd have to see what happens with the line first and foremost. Sheldon Day is a free agent, but honestly could be re-signed if he's okay with his depth role. He's not going to cost a lot. AA obviously is a free agent, and Blair is hurt, so even if re-signed, I don't know if he'll be ready to go to start the season. So that's potentially three guys to replace and Thomas would make a 4th. But I don't expect all of those guys not to be here next season. 

• Like 1

Just for posterity sake, I'm letting y'all know I'm firmly on the Tee Higgins bandwagon for our pick. If not him, then lets trade down and see if we can get some quality depth in the mid-rounds.

2 minutes ago, Geek said:

Just for posterity sake, I'm letting y'all know I'm firmly on the Tee Higgins bandwagon for our pick. If not him, then lets trade down and see if we can get some quality depth in the mid-rounds.

I’m also a big Tee Higgins fan. He would be a good guy to pair with Deebo.

On 12/31/2019 at 5:53 PM, y2lamanaki said:

I like the idea, but not for our current personnel group. It's hard to find enough snaps to justify both a (stupendously) highly paid fullback and two tight ends that need to get fed at the same time.