Do you view Alex Smith to be a bust?

CP3MVP

4 hours ago, PFM18 said:

If you can start as many games as Alex Smith has in the NFL (Quick check shows 167 regular season starts) then I think he's shown that people believe he's good enough.

I should rephrase. A QB that becomes a starter can be a bust (see Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell) but a QB who starts so many games in the league I don't think should be classified as a bust as surely if he was that bad so many coaches would not be playing him in said league. 

So how many games does one have to start  before they’re no longer a bust? You’re essentially saying that the first overall pick in the draft can be average never a star but if they start forever they can’t be considered a bust?

Coaches are frequently wrong all the time and get fired every offseason. I mean blame bortles has started 74 games in the NFL

5 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

He was the 1st pick in the draft in 2005. He was flat out terrible his first 5 seasons. Honestly the fact that he got that long of a leash is surprising. However His 6th season he became a nice game manager on a loaded team coached by Jim Harbaugh. A team so stacked that another Qb took that same roster to a Super Bowl and that QB has been out of football before he turned 30. 

He then got traded to KC where he had an Nice run as a game manger on stacked teams for several years. He left KC and the QB who was behind took that offense and overall team to highest he never managed. 

So overall do you cosncisd Smith to be a bust? He was terrible for large stretches of his career then ok after that. He was never a superstar level QB and that’s kindoff what you expect with the first pick 

Due to all the coaching changes, didn't he have 5 different OC's during that first 5 years?  I don't have a perfect recollection of the Niners back then, but since they had the first overall pick I'm guessing they must have been pretty bad.  With a carousel of coaching staffs like that, an ever-changing offensive scheme, and not much of a supporting cast, it is probably going to be difficult to improve as a QB. 

By comparison, Aaron Rodgers, who was also drafted in the first round of the same draft, was dropped into a completely different environment.  He went to a team with a head coach who was excellent at developing QB's in Mike McCarthy.  He wasn't thrown into the fire right away like Alex Smith was in San Francisco either.  In fact, he got to sit on the bench for three years without much pressure at all because he was #2 on the depth chart behind a Hall of Famer.  Green Bay also had an excellent stable of wide receivers back in those days.  It would be interesting to see how Alex Smith would have developed if he had been put into a situation as stable as that.  It was practically the opposite of what Alex Smith had to deal with.  I know you have to expect a lot of challenges when you are a QB taken #1 overall, but there aren't many QB's who end up thriving under circumstances like that.

Ultimately, I'd have to say that he ended up being somewhat of a disappointment when all is said and done, but there have been far worse QB's taken at #1 over the years.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

7 in 7, I believe

Wow, that's incredible.  Eventually, all those schemes might start to overlap to the point where you have seen just about everything, but by then you are also probably starting to decline physically.  It's hard to blame Smith completely for that.  One thing I will say for the guy is that he always handled the challenges with a lot of class.  He was undoubtedly a great teammate. 

And that did not help Alex Smith that he had Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary as Head Coach in his first 6 years.Not surprising he was much better by the time he had Jim Harbaugh and Andy Reid as HC afterwards.

Again, not a great QB, but far from being a bust, especially when he was in a much better situation.

37 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

So how many games does one have to start  before they’re no longer a bust? You’re essentially saying that the first overall pick in the draft can be average never a star but if they start forever they can’t be considered a bust?

Coaches are frequently wrong all the time and get fired every offseason. I mean blame bortles has started 74 games in the NFL

Not every first overall pick has been a star but shouldn't be considered busts either. 

Is Jadeveon Clowney a star? Eric Fisher? Was Jake Long a star? No, but they play(ed) regularly in the league and contribute(d) to their respective teams. 

There is no official number of games someone can start to not be a bust, but Alex Smith has started enough games in this league and played in it long enough to suggest he does have a clue what he's doing.

Caoches do get it wrong, but Jim Harbaugh started him and made progress. Andy Reid, one of the most respected coaches in the league, started him and made progress. Don't think their front offices thought it was a wrong decision to start him. 

Blake Bortles has also achieved something in this league. He did make it to an AFCCG which the Jags were arguably unlucky to lose. Is it fair to label Bortles a bust? 

I think guys like Alex Smith, Carson Palmer,Jay Cutler all underperformed compared to what they could of been. But, none of them are busts. And Alex Smith Is viewed in such a much better light to me because he literally handled everything in his career so classy.

And Alex Smith Netted 2nd round picks, a 3rd, and Kendall Fuller throughout his career.

• Like 1

Before coming to KC, he had three head coaches and six different OCs in an eight year period. That's rough. The fact that he's still in the league as a likely starter says he's not a bust. Yes, I know he's still hurt. But if he wasn't, I highly doubt the Redskin draft Haskins as they were leading the division at the time of his injury.

1 minute ago, Malik said:

He's not a bust, but I do think a lot of NFL QBs could have had similar success to him if they were given the same amount of time and patience. 

This is where I firmly disagree.  It wasn't about patience and time with Smith it literally was more about mental toughness. 

That's truly what makes players busts more than anything and front offices, along with coaches can tell. Leaf, J Russell, Bradford, Couch, Bortles, Lynch. They all have one thing in common they either got beat up physically and/or gave up mentally . 

He can't be considered a bust, with his resume. Is he the Savior , SB winning QB SF hoped they were drafting instead of Arod, of course not. However the label BUST should be for those like Leaf, Russell,  Akili Smith, ect. 

Not Alex Smith.