Potential NFL Lockout 2021

TakeTheBallDeep

So more and more rumors and talk are coming out about a lockout in 2021.

Do you think this happens?

Will it last long?

What are some of the main issues/changes the NFPA will try for?

What are some changes you hope happen?

https://sportstalkflorida.com/nfl/https-wp-me-p81oan-1n5w/

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/24/dallas-cowboys-nflpa-nfl-work-stoppage-readiness/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/49ers/2018/09/06/nfl-lockout-2021-richard-sherman/1215930002/

I don't know what the NFLPA wants this time - it'll depend on that, but I'm sure the league isn't going to buckle.

I could see the PA look for a structured suspension schedule, abolishment and/or restriction on the Franchise Tag and marijuana to be taken off of the prohibited substance list - but the big item will be something about guaranteed contracts. I don't the league budges on the contracts, but should make changes to the rest.

I think we'll miss some of the off-season activities such as the traditional start of FA or training camp. I don't think we'll miss actual games (or preseason games, for that matter).

The NFLPA can't use the threat of a strike without 1st making it public and 2nd, preparing their membership
Otherwise the "threat" is impotent. This is all part of the theater of negotiations

The players felt they didn't get enough last time around, in part because they pushed the idea of fewer practices and less contact.
So the owners acquiesced on those in exchange for mo money.
This time around, the money comes 1st for the NFLPA and the rest will be addressed as needed

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

What exactly do the players have to bargain with to get what they want outside of an 18 game season?

HGH testing is still a card right? 
Giving coaches more power back in the offseason
They could further screw over rookies by not increasing their pool of money.

There's a lot on the table and the League doesn't want this to drag out in public like it did last time.
really bad for bizness. A walkout or labor stoppage is huge and would hurt the owners pocketses significantly

The problem for Maurice Smith and the NFLPA is that he needs to be seen as "winning" and getting the most $$ for his members. The other guys who ran for the NFLPA presidency all took shots at Maurice and the previous deal. That's hanging over Maurice's head right now and will certainly impact the rhetoric if not the final deal

3 main buckets of cash to fight over: Network broadcasts, NFL Merch and Local revenues and how they are split up. Owners want credit for building the stadia, which is ironic given how they all took public money for those new palaces. Local revenue was a smaller piece the last time around, but the latest financial reports from GB showed the Packers earned $275M in National revenue and $ 207M in local cash. Its a much bigger slice this time around and the players cut will be a point of contention given the increased investment from the owners in creating year-round entertainment districts

Here's a snippet on the revenue calculations from SalaryCapCrunch and you can see how the different buckets have different %.
Those will be up for negotiation

Player Cost Amount and Calculating The Salary Cap

When calculating the salary cap, the media bucket is multiplied by 55 percent, the NFL Ventures bucket by 45 percent, and the local revenue bucket by 40 percent. The resulting number is called the Player Cost Amount. The Stadium Credit reduces the Player Cost Amount. Furthermore, the CBA specifies “bands,” or ranges, that are acceptable for the Player Cost Amount both before and after the application of the Stadium Credit. For the 2015–20 seasons, the Player Cost Amount must be between 47 and 48.5 percent of Projected AR before the application of the Stadium Credit. After the application of the Stadium Credit, the Player Cost Amount must be at least 46.5 percent and 46 percent of Projected AR for the 2016 and 2017–20 seasons, respectively.

Once the Player Cost Amount is settled, it is reduced by Projected Benefits, which are non-salary benefits provided by the NFL and its teams to the players; these benefits include pension costs, health insurance, and player medical costs. The resulting figure is divided by the number of teams (currently 32) to arrive at the salary cap amount.

http://salarycapcrunch.com/projecting-nfl-salary-cap-2016-20-seasons/

• Like 1

Deadlines spur action. Unfortunately the current deadline of ‘before this season begins’ has no real cost or potential loss tied in to it. The next big deadline will likely be the first day of the new league year (March 10, 2020) but even in 2011 that didn’t stop free agency it just delayed teams signing draft picks. 

20 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

What exactly do the players have to bargain with to get what they want outside of an 18 game season?

Not playing. Which is why I think this lockout will happen and last into the season.

There is probably a lot on the table, but money will probably be the number one issue - NFL players have seen NBA players getting paid guaranteed money AND having a larger percentage of the revenue for their salary cap. I think NFL players will demand a bigger piece of the pie and more guaranteed money. The owners should give into this immediately - because while an NFL team is made up of 53 players, it's foundation is still the players - but they won't, and I think the only way for the players to get what they want (or close to what they want) is to hit the owners where it hurts.

Changes wished?

Fully Guaranteed Contracts.

Arbitration for players in the last two years of their rookie contracts.

Lifetime provided health insurance/coverage.

Expand the gameday roster

Two bye weeks

Remove weed from banned substances

West Coast teams aren't forced to play 10am games

Edited by animaltested

4 hours ago, animaltested said:

Changes wished?

Fully Guaranteed Contracts.

Arbitration for players in the last two years of their rookie contracts.

Lifetime provided health insurance/coverage.

Expand the gameday roster

Two bye weeks

Remove weed from banned substances

West Coast teams aren't forced to play 10am games

And then everyone on the bus stood up and clapped.