2019 WR Corps

incognito_man

If you had to pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

3 minutes ago, VonKarman said:
23 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Am I the only one who would think a healthy ESB is our WR2 right now? 

Nope. The last games of 2018 showed he was a better WR than MVS that could also develop further. MVS is one-trick pony, which can be good enough for a WR3, but no much more.

I was hoping for some additions to MVS's game this year, and I will hope for the same next year. I'm still happy with him, but it's a problem when hes on the field and you know he isn't getting targeted on his short routes. 

I hope Gute attacks that position with laser focus this offseason.  We need a true legit #2 wideout via trade, or free agent signing.  I doubt any rookie we will be able to draft can come right in and be a #2 .. just don't see it for a few different reasons.  I would draft one wideout within the first 3 rounds.  MVS can come back .. ESB should get another crack.  I think Lazard can be in the mix.  I'd say bye bye to Allison, Kumerow, and any other fringe wideout.  I'd like to see smaller, sleeker, faster wideouts brought in.

I just really wish one of our rookies showed half the promise Jordy Nelson showed over his first two years.  Or Davante Adams.  As we all know, both of them started out hot each of their first two years and we knew they would develop into all-pro players, just like Donald Driver.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I just really wish one of our rookies showed half the promise Jordy Nelson showed over his first two years.  Or Davante Adams.  As we all know, both of them started out hot each of their first two years and we knew they would develop into all-pro players, just like Donald Driver.

I hear ya, but I don't want to just trust that our 5th rd., 6th rd, and FA wide receivers are on the same talent level with 2nd rounders like Nelson, Adams, Jennings etc.  Big difference there.  Every now and again you get a Driver that develops, but it's rare.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

tbh I think that could/will change with the change in offense. With less adjustments and responsibilities, we should be able to see a rookie wideout contribute like we have seen in the league the last few years (not just due to necessity like it was for us last year). 

This should be a solid rookie WR class, and if we were to take one int the 2nd round, I think they could be a legitimate contributor. 

22 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I hope Gute attacks that position with laser focus this offseason.  We need a true legit #2 wideout via trade, or free agent signing.  I doubt any rookie we will be able to draft can come right in and be a #2 .. just don't see it for a few different reasons.  I would draft one wideout within the first 3 rounds.  MVS can come back .. ESB should get another crack.  I think Lazard can be in the mix.  I'd say bye bye to Allison, Kumerow, and any other fringe wideout.  I'd like to see smaller, sleeker, faster wideouts brought in.

I think we find one that's fallen down the boards on Day 3.

15 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I hear ya, but I don't want to just trust that our 5th rd., 6th rd, and FA wide receivers are on the same talent level with 2nd rounders like Nelson, Adams, Jennings etc.  Big difference there.  Every now and again you get a Driver that develops, but it's rare.

It makes sense, but let's not forget that ESB was a Day 2 pick all day until he fell down the boards shortly before the draft. That's not to say he's the be-all-end-all for the argument.

Given that this draft is loaded with bigger receivers, if we went small, it'd probably be Jalen Reagor early or KJ Hamler/Tylan Wallace on Day 3 the way things currently stand.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

Not remotely as rare in today's NFL.  If a late (5th-7th) flashes at all, chances are they're going to develop.  Diggs, Thielen...

Just now, JBURGE said:

tbh I think that could/will change with the change in offense. With less adjustments and responsibilities, we should be able to see a rookie wideout contribute like we have seen in the league the last few years (not just due to necessity like it was for us last year). 

This should be a solid rookie WR class, and if we were to take one int the 2nd round, I think they could be a legitimate contributor. 

This is exactly why you no longer need a high pick to get an impact out of a WR.  Here are the rankings of rookie receivers this year by draft position:

64th overall
76th overall
Undrafted
66th overall
36th overall
25th overall
149th overall
51st overall
171st overall
56th overall
174th overall
247th overall
59th overall
Undrafted
Undrafted
206th overall

Then you've got second year pros.  Here is the ranking of second year receivers (taken in last year's draft) and their draft position:

24th
40th
174 (MVS)
Undrafted
Undrafted (Lazard)

Out of all second year receivers, MVS leads them all in yards per reception (minimum 10 catches). 

It's like people completely forget about Nelson.  if MVS didn't have another catch all year, he's already dominating Jordy Nelson over their first two seasons. 

Not only that, he's dominating Davante Adams, too, in every category except receptions.  Both had 4 touchdowns in their first two seasons, except MVS so far has 1,001 receiving yards on 60 receptions compared to 88 receptions for Adams, who had 72 less yards on 28 more receptions. 

You don't even WANT me to show you the numbers for third year players. 

There is zero disparity between 1st round picks all the way to undrafted receivers in the NFL anymore.  You do not need to make a huge investment at that position because, as you said, rule changes make it easier. 

You don't get 420 yards on 22 receptions (19.1 average) and be without wild potential and promise.  MVS WILL have his breakout season, and it WILL be monstrous, and I WILL troll every single one of you for treating him like some Robert Ferguson or Bill Schroeder.  There WILL be a major bust in the first round. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

IMO current discussions shouldnt be bound by draft status anymore on players that have seen enough field time to make a more current assessment. I believe EQ has shown enough foundational talent that I was looking forward to his contribution and growth this year. Didnt happen. Oh well. 2020's around the corner.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You don't get 420 yards on 22 receptions (19.1 average) and be without wild potential and promise.  MVS WILL have his breakout season, and it WILL be monstrous, and I WILL troll every single one of you for treating him like some Robert Ferguson or Bill Schroeder.  There WILL be a major bust in the first round. 

When you're really fast and not physical and can't win underneath route this happens. 

As to the conversation above, no doubt in my mind EQ would be our #2 right now. Gute really screwed the pooch there, for James freaking Crawford. I just don't get it. 

• Like 1