2019 WR Corps

incognito_man

If you had to pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

51 minutes ago, Norm said:

There HAS to be better options doesn't there?

Unfortunately, in a 14 person league, the options are very few.  We're talking about guys I've never even heard of being the only available players left, and the waiver wire is equally as crappy a place to draw from.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

MVS has been down snap count-wise because he was injured.  He played 94.4% of the snaps against Dallas, then played 77% of the snaps against Detroit even after being hurt in the second quarter.  They cut him down to 34.5% but he bounced back up to 62.3% against the Chiefs.  I don't really see anything to indicate that he's being phased out.  I suspect he'll continue to get about 80-85% of snaps when healthy like he did early in the season.  

He's also not near the blocker that Lazard is, so there's reason to give him those snaps while MVS fully recovers.  You can't fully show your hand that way so Lazard will get some receiving snaps, but that's fine; I think he may actually be a player.  He's certainly a better prospect than Kumerow, and deserves to get some snaps each game.  He's quicker than he timed, and for a big receiver he moves well and he can actually sink into his cuts a little.  That plus his ability to climb the ladder and his blocking ability and that's a player who has a role.  I mean he's a #4/package guy for sure, but it's still a role.

Also: With the uncharacteristically poor pass protection against the Chiefs, it was not a game for MVS to shine. He needs time to get open on the deep routes. He will get more chances as the season goes on. 

I think Allison, Kumerow, and Lazard are about even right now, but Allison is dropping, Kumerow is staying the same, and Lazard is rising. Allison's poor performance this year has been a little weird. He doesn't look like the same player he was at the beginning of last season. 

1 minute ago, Greg C. said:

Allison's poor performance this year has been a little weird. He doesn't look like the same player he was at the beginning of last season. 

Allison was already slow. He's been even slower since his ankle injury last year. I've been saying for a few weeks, when 17 is back, I think you'll see a little less of 81 every week as the season goes on, barring injuries. 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Allison was already slow. He's been even slower since his ankle injury last year. I've been saying for a few weeks, when 17 is back, I think you'll see a little less of 81 every week as the season goes on, barring injuries. 

His injury last year was a hernia, not ankle.

My guess on Allison is that we lost Cobb and we needed a slot, he's playing out of position. He belongs solely on the outside. Hopefully we get Grant going in the slot, and Allison/MVS/Lazard/Kumerow rotate in that #2 spot, also I'd like to see more Tae in the slot too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

His injury last year was a hernia, not ankle.

My guess on Allison is that we lost Cobb and we needed a slot, he's playing out of position. He belongs solely on the outside. Hopefully we get Grant going in the slot, and Allison/MVS/Lazard/Kumerow rotate in that #2 spot, also I'd like to see more Tae in the slot too.

I like this with MVS and Lazard outside. Allison is just a JAG and will never be any more than that IMO. Lazard's catch radius is ridiculous. MVS has the speed to take the top off the defense. Hopefully, Tonyan is healthy soon and we activate Sternberger. 

Edited by Golfman

Allison is playing a bad fit, and isn't a special enough talent to make it work.  He's not a slot in this system, he's an outside receiver all day.  You want him iso'd up running digs or wheel/fade routes (admittedly the wheel is more from the slot but whatever; point is he's best when he can stack his man on a sideline route).  He plays the ball well over his shoulder and will go up and get it to an extent.  He can also run a decent curl route.  That's about it.  He's not physical enough to win on slants and he can't separate and isn't explosive on posts/corners.  His YAC is mostly effort, and he doesn't really threaten a defense with anything he does.

Honestly, given what they have right now I'd play Kumerow out of the slot and Allison on the outside.  Kumerow can't separate anyway and at least has elite body control and more mass at the catch point.  Allison stops having to catch so many contested balls and Kumerow doesn't have to worry about his inability to get separation off the line.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Allison is playing a bad fit, and isn't a special enough talent to make it work.  He's not a slot in this system, he's an outside receiver all day.  You want him iso'd up running digs or wheel/fade routes (admittedly the wheel is more from the slot but whatever; point is he's best when he can stack his man on a sideline route).  He plays the ball well over his shoulder and will go up and get it to an extent.  He can also run a decent curl route.  That's about it.  He's not physical enough to win on slants and he can't separate and isn't explosive on posts/corners.  His YAC is mostly effort, and he doesn't really threaten a defense with anything he does.

Honestly, given what they have right now I'd play Kumerow out of the slot and Allison on the outside.  Kumerow can't separate anyway and at least has elite body control and more mass at the catch point.  Allison stops having to catch so many contested balls and Kumerow doesn't have to worry about his inability to get separation off the line.

Only question I've got at that point is what does that do to the defense? For all his flaws, Allison is still catching a nickel CB when we line up with a slot receiver. I'm not sure Kumerow doesn't catch a LB/Safety

10 hours ago, Golfman said:

I like this with MVS and Lazard outside. Allison is just a JAG and will never be any more than that IMO. Lazard's catch radius is ridiculous. MVS has the speed to take the top off the defense. Hopefully, Tonyan is healthy soon and we activate Sternberger. 

Allison is what he is, MVS clearly has a much higher ceiling. However, if we're in the same position as we were last Sunday, up with 2 mins left on 3rd and 5, needing an underneath route win to move the chains and ice the game, I'm playing Allison over MVS without even a thought to the contrary. MVS is not a complete WR right now. He absolutely has his role/purpose, but so does Allison.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Allison is what he is, MVS clearly has a much higher ceiling. However, if we're in the same position as we were last Sunday, up with 2 mins left on 3rd and 5, needing an underneath route win to move the chains and ice the game, I'm playing Allison over MVS without even a thought to the contrary. MVS is not a complete WR right now. He absolutely has his role/purpose, but so does Allison.

Given your very specific situation, I'd agree. But my premise was with the return of Adams. BTW, we went outside with the best match up which was Jones on the safety/linebacker. I do not remember which one it was but it was a mismatch. 

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Only question I've got at that point is what does that do to the defense? For all his flaws, Allison is still catching a nickel CB when we line up with a slot receiver. I'm not sure Kumerow doesn't catch a LB/Safety

I mean, I'm not high on Kumerow but I'd put big money down that he would smoke a LB so badly that opposing DCs would quit that real quick.  I also think he'd be able to beat most safeties on the kinds of routes our slots run.  Kumerow isn't a high end receiving talent but his footwork and technique is very good and has improved year over year; he's a tough cover on any kind of in and out/whip route which is the last thing you would expect given he's not fast in or out of his breaks.  I dislike him outside because he just cannot create separation vertically, but he has pieces of his game I do like.  

I mean realistically we need an upgrade at the slot in a bad, bad way, and maybe Ryan Grant can be that guy.  Well, realistically I imagine Adams will probably get more snaps there as the year goes on if Lazard continues to show out and MVS stays healthy.  Gotta make stew out of the bag of bones we got somehow.