Green Bay @ Ravens "Still Gotta Shot Bowl"

Leader

I'm a Brit too and in both preseason games I thought I saw a player who showed good pocket presence and looked comfortable throwing the ball in the middle of the field at least. The boundary throws and the quick passes to RBs need some work though. I thought he did well sustaining drives and has shown he can get out of the pocket to make plays if need to. I see things that the coaches can work with.

Whilst he did ok in the 1st preseason game I thought Boyle did not look impressive, in the 1st half at least. I went to bed before the 2nd half.

• Like 1

I though Boyle looked really good in the third quarter.  Nice footwork, ge got the ball out and gave his receivers a chance.  Honestly starting to think he has more arm talent than Kizer.  He threw a few balls out of a more sidearm slot as receivers were going from left to right that were just perfect.  He came off of his first and even second read to find Shephard for a great TD pass.  He looked really comfortable and competent for 2 drives.

Then they brought in a new OL, TE's, and receivers and his play took a nosedive.  Not blaming it all on his supporting cast - he certainly had a few terrible passes and took a bad sack.

I didn't see Kizer play, and I think both QB's are going to be on the 53 regardless because they are so close, but I'd put Boyle at #2 right now.

Wes Hodkiewicz:

Curtis Bolton didn't know who deflected pass that led to his INT at first. Larry McCarren: "Tony Brown."

Bolton: "Oh. I’m not surprised. He’s had a hell of a camp, and from what I’ve heard, he’s improved tremendously. If you ask me, he’s starter-caliber in this league."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is he smart? He doesn't play like it.

Is he accurate from a clean pocket? He hasn't been in the pros.

Calling the Packers staff in 2018 the worst staff for QB development is insane. Mike Vrabel, Sean McDermott, Vance Joseph, Mike Tomlin, Steve Wilks, Jon Gruden, Dirk Koetter, Marvin Lewis, and Mike Zimmer all were running NFL squads last year.  

Did any of those staffs have the backup QBs relaying messages on gameday from HC to QB and vice versa? I'm not sure our QB coach was actually in practice or on the sidelines or even on the team. Our offensive staff stopped coaching Aaron and as a result the QB room was an absolute disaster, yes probably much worse than any of the coaching staffs above you listed.

7 hours ago, Donzo said:

Thon Maker has zero coordination. That missing ability dooms his chances of becoming a competent NBA player... So, that's a lousy comp for Kizer.

Coordination is to Basketball what decisions making is to QB play? Something like that, only better and more convincing.

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

Wes Hodkiewicz:

Curtis Bolton didn't know who deflected pass that led to his INT at first. Larry McCarren: "Tony Brown."

Bolton: "Oh. I’m not surprised. He’s had a hell of a camp, and from what I’ve heard, he’s improved tremendously. If you ask me, he’s starter-caliber in this league."

I have him making Tramon expendable on my 53. Then again, I also have Josh Jackson as our 5/6th CB rn and list him (JJ) at backup FS.

Edited by HyponGrey

Zach Kruse:

Ty Summers is probably in double digits for missed tackles this preseason and we're not done with the second game.

Harbaugh and LaFleur both challenged plays that weren't even close to pass interference.

Matt LaFleur said he isn't worried about Aaron Rodgers' back being a long-term issue. Said it stiffened up on him pre-game. Packers played it safe.

This has not been an encouraging night for the Packers' top pick.

Curtis Bolton looked great in that first half. He's been really good through 1.5 preseason games.

Tony Brown creates the INT. Disrupted the catch point.

Jake Kumerow has 5 catches and 5 first downs this preseason.

That's a really good return from Shepherd. Calm catch moving right, make the first defender miss, get up field.

G-Mo looks really good in the slot.

Smart play from Kizer/Kumerow. Throw hot against the blitz. Kumerow saw it, Kizer saw it.

Darrius Shepherd gets the first crack at returning kicks. And the rookie makes a big play. This guy is something else.
(Davis better get healthy)

Edited by Leader

What roster takeaways did you guys have from last nights game? 

I thought Kumerow was going to make the roster already but beating Humphrey, it’s gotta sway the people on the fence. 

I think Trevor Davis is in trouble. Shepard having a great night on STs, him impressing as a WR , Davis’ unavailability. I would be fine with cutting Davis.

Maybe Bolton ahead of Summers. 

7 hours ago, Donzo said:

Thon Maker has zero coordination. That missing ability dooms his chances of becoming a competent NBA player... So, that's a lousy comp for Kizer.

I think Tony Snell is the better comparison here.  6'7, nice reach and athleticism, but leaves so much potential out there.  Looks so awkward offensively.  Thon Maker is a great, and I mean great weak side help defender, I have a hard time saying anything like this for Kizer. Thon can also spot up for 3 although super inconsistent, 4/4 one night, 0/5 another.  I don't think he is zero coordination, he just has very little lower body strength.  When he gets pushed around he looses balance and looks like he has zero coord.  But in practice and shootaround and when he isn't guarded by a defender who puts his body into Thon, he looks decent.  Being able to play with contact and coordination are different things imo.  

I watched 12 or so Browns games start to finish when Kizer was a rook and remember thinking that his level of play got worse and worse as the year went on.  Every mistake he made early in the season he was making again at the end.  In fact I remember telling all my buddies that Kizer was the worst backup QB in the NFL when Rodgers got injured in the Bears game last year and to abandon all hope ( fortunately he came back!)  

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What roster takeaways did you guys have from last nights game? 

I thought Kumerow was going to make the roster already but beating Humphrey, it’s gotta sway the people on the fence. 

I think Trevor Davis is in trouble. Shepard having a great night on STs, him impressing as a WR , Davis’ unavailability. I would be fine with cutting Davis.

Maybe Bolton ahead of Summers. 

I agree that Trevor Davis is in troubled to his injury history and Sheppard's strong play. I think Bolton looks MUCH better than Summers. 

I wonder if Will Redmond is in line for the #4 safety spot. Last night I saw him make a good play and a bad play. He's played a lot in both preseason games, and he's mostly done okay. They really seem to be moving on from Josh Jones, and Raven Greene is the #3 safety, so Redmond might be #4.  

Allen Lazard may be contending for a roster spot. J'Mon Moore was not targeted so he did not have a chance to continue his momentum from a good practice on Sunday. He may be getting passed up by guys like Lazard and Sheppard now. 

Dexter Williams dropped an easy screen pass, but I still don't see any of the other RBs beating him out for the #3 spot yet. Reggie Gilbert is making a case to stick around. I know he was good in the preseason last year and did nothing in the regular season, but still, he is making some plays and could stick if they keep five OLBs. 

I'm not worried about Summers. He was in position to make a bunch of tackles again. including at least a couple in the backfield, and yeah he flubbed most of them but I think he can figure that out. It's preseason and they haven't been practicing live tackling. Give him a year to get acclimated, study Blake, etc. He's an NFL ILB.

I'm extremely not worried about Bolton. That guy makes plays everywhere. Obviously a much different player from Summers (or Blake) but I think he has a role early on.