Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

27 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

By the numbers dont take into effect the different eras.

Dak has significantly improved but if you really believe he is Top 3 accurate passer in the history of the NFL just because the numbers say so, then I dont know what to say.

Do you truly believe he is more accurate than Brees, Wilson, Mahomes, Rodgers, Peyton, Aikman, Romo, Young? Just to name a few.

No, which is why I said "by the numbers". Era plays a huge factor as does system. I just quoted his comp % to reflect that his missed passes are highly over exaggerated. Even comparing him to his contemporaries. 

5 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Aikman was probably one of THEE most accurate And in the NFL.

Or at least that was repeated by the announcers over and over. Having gone back over the years and rewatched, he really wasnt the accuracy God I made him out to be growing up. That said, his degree of difficulty on throws was really high.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Or at least that was repeated by the announcers over and over. Having gone back over the years and rewatched, he really wasnt the accuracy God I made him out to be growing up. That said, his degree of difficulty on throws was really high.

I loved watching Aikman throw. That was also back when the CBs could basically maul the receivers, more 2 WR sets and tighter windows to throw.

Lots of articles around where they discussed there were entire practices where a ball wouldnt touch the ground. He could put the ball anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

No, which is why I said "by the numbers". Era plays a huge factor as does system. I just quoted his comp % to reflect that his missed passes are highly over exaggerated. Even comparing him to his contemporaries. 

Sure. There are a few here that dont think he is accurate at all which is not the case, but his numbers make him sound like he is more accurate than he is.

A lot of these comments were from previous years (myself included) where he missed some easy throws (deep balls to Gallup) or even if they were complete, they were behind the receiver or he didnt lead them enough which prevented big plays. 

This year I would say he has been much better. Not that he is making throws that he didnt make in previous years, just the fact that he is much more consistent this year.

I have Dak in the top 10 and in the 2nd tier of QBs. I would not put him in the tier of Rodgers, Mahomes, or Wilson.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I loved watching Aikman throw. That was also back when the CBs could basically maul the receivers, more 2 WR sets and tighter windows to throw.

Yeah, thats why I said his degree of difficulty was high. He threw tight windows/deep passes on a ton of passes. Also a lot of really slow developing plays as opposed to someone like Young.

3 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Lots of articles around where they discussed there were entire practices where a ball wouldnt touch the ground. He could put the ball anywhere.

He was extremely talented. Not debating that. I am just saying, his accuracy was heralded as the GOAT - - and rewatching as an adult - - I think it was hyped like our OL after 2016. People act like it was blasphemy if you didnt worship it. 

The thing that really set Aikman apart was his leadership. I rewatched all the NFL documents on our 90's teams; and his teammates were terrified to disappoint him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Yeah, thats why I said his degree of difficulty was high. He threw tight windows/deep passes on a ton of passes. Also a lot of really slow developing plays as opposed to someone like Young.

He was extremely talented. Not debating that. I am just saying, his accuracy was heralded as the GOAT - - and rewatching as an adult - - I think it was hyped like our OL after 2016. People act like it was blasphemy if you didnt worship it. 

The thing that really set Aikman apart was his leadership. I rewatched all the NFL documents on our 90's teams; and his teammates were terrified to disappoint him.

That was a mantle well earned. Aikman took a severe beating early on and during his career. 

He may have had an awesome O line to make holes for Smith, but he took some really jaw busting hits.

The hit under the chin in Arizona, the hit from Arrington that ended his career.

Don't forget the 11 sacks in 1 game in Philly.

But he always played tough and expected the same from his teammates.

27 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

Has anyone else noticed how phenomenally accurate Dak is when the Cowboys are down 2-3 TDs in the 4th quarter when defenses are playing prevent?   

Nope, because this is once again a fan perpetuated myth that is debunked by actual statistics. 

Okay, let's get a handle on this "Dak" buisness once and for all.

For those of you that support Dak: 

Would you rather see Dak out there QBing to give our team a chance right now to win the division or not?

OR

For those of you who want to tank, same question?

Edited by Rtnldave

12 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Would you rather see Dak out there QBing to give our team a chance right now to win the division or not?

OR

With Dak on the field, if we could get into the playoffs and the defense didn't play absolutely terrible (see Philly performance), I think we could make some noise in the playoffs. So yeah, I'd rather see Dak out there. 

10 minutes ago, D82 said:

With Dak on the field, if we could get into the playoffs and the defense didn't play absolutely terrible (see Philly performance), I think we could make some noise in the playoffs. So yeah, I'd rather see Dak out there. 

That's 1 vote for Dak.

Next?

59 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

OR

35 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

That's 1 vote for Dak.

Next?

Your question and the interpretation of it are odd to me. From what I have seen from the total team right now, I would rather tank than see Dak. I know Dak is a top 10 (top 5ish) QB. I dont need useless wins messing up draft position. Much like the 7-9 Brees/Saints years.

Long term - 100% Dak

2020 year only - No Dak, Yes tank. 

This is a odd situation and the question yes or no about Dak is interesting.  Right now think it’s too little too late but I am wishy washy cause I hate to see them loose.  

I loved Aiken I know the eye test and all this but I also think people forget or don’t remember just how different the game was, the rules and the players.  It was all different and the father back the more different.  I would stand by my statement that you could take any of our starting OL from the Cowboys team of the 70’s and they would not start for any team in football right NOW. Just look at their playing weight 260-270 was a HEAYY linemen and that is the playing weight of linebackers and TE’s now.  

Aikmen was a terribly accurate QB especially during his time. I believe most of that was in repetition and a perfect throwing motion .  I also feel right now most QB in the NFL would also be considered terrible accurate back then.  But one thing that I think that has not changed for the better is that QB’s are now expected to be franchise level QB’s as a rookie.   Personally I blame QB’s like Aikmen Marino and Manning.  But the drive for that lead to the Leaf’s and other high draft pick QB who failed because they were  put under too much initial pressure without any true training in how to be a NFL QB.  

I think most people forget that Rogers Mahomes Brady did not start out playing out of the gate as a rookie.  While yeah Mahomes probably would have success as a rookie he did have a huge advantage of waiting a year in the sidelines watching learning under one of the top offenses in the NFL b Roger awaited how many years it was a lot.  Brady was in a way like Dak got his chance do to injury more than anything else.  

Why do I bring this up it’s just I think you can not discount how much experience helps in being a NFL QB and Dak has that experience and as such feel he is one of the top 5 QB in. NFL and feel this team with this offense could reach MFC championship game of the D plays like it did last game though I put that more to Eagles then anything else so no let’s not bring him back this year