Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

12 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

lol. Just stop while you’re ahead. Dallas isn’t using a high pick to select a QB.

You don't even know who the 2020 HC is going to be. Where exactly we will be drafting, or who will be available. Dak hasn't signed a contract and you'd have to think Jerry will need to find a new coach before he does. I tend to agree that we won't spend a 1st on QB seeing that it hasn't happened since 1989, but it's not crazy to see the team tagging Dak and drafting a guy like Fromm in the 2nd or 3rd. Or letting Dak walk and signing a Winston/Tannehill for 1/2 the cost.

We are picking top 15 because we aren't a good football team. Everything is on the table now sir.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

You don't even know who the 2020 HC is going to be. Where exactly we will be drafting, or who will be available. Dak hasn't signed a contract and you'd have to think Jerry will need to find a new coach before he does. I tend to agree that we won't spend a 1st on QB seeing that it hasn't happened since 1989, but it's not crazy to see the team tagging Dak and drafting a guy like Fromm in the 2nd or 3rd. Or letting Dak walk and signing a Winston/Tannehill for 1/2 the cost.

We are picking top 15 because we aren't a good football team. Everything is on the table now sir.

Watch Jerry hire Lincoln who will draft Hurt then trade Dak.

6 hours ago, quiller said:

Well I will believe just recycling a rook is a good idea when I see a 1st - 2nd Or maybe even 3rd year QB win a super bowl 

I guess the Balt QB has a good chance this year to do just that so who knows 

Really? A QB needs to win the superbowl before they are a better option than Dak who has never made it past the divisional? Dak is a fine QB on his rookie deal, but not at highest paid in league history.

The last 2 Most Valuable Players of the National Football League are first year starters in Lamar and Mahomes. Mahomes was narrowly beat in the conference champioinship by the eventual SB champs, and the NFC champion last year was a QB from Daks draft class. 

It's not 1990 anymore guys. Young QBs are doing it in a league that's increasingly becoming a glorified 7 on 7 match.

Hell they call holding, roughing, and PI in the pros more than in college. 

Edited by DaBoys

31 minutes ago, TVScout said:

At Bama he was. At OU he improved vastly. Kiper predicts he will be a 4th rounder. I would pick him there.

Again, no. If we’re truly looking for legitimate competition and a future franchise QB, then waiting until the 4th round is absolutely pointless.

Edited by plan9misfit

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

This is like an intervention. I'm trying to help you......

Dallas will have a new HC.
Dak is going to be re-signed for a substantial amount of money. 
Dallas is not using a high draft pick to select a QB.

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

One thing is for sure. Dak should have taken a deal while he was scorching hot. 

I’m sure glad that he didn’t. Because his play this season - by and large - has shown that he still can’t put a team on his back and win, can’t make accurate throws consistently, and doesn’t perform well in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. Yes, a large portion of that is Garrett being an incompetent coach, but his shortcomings as a QB are still very obvious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

This is like an intervention. I'm trying to help you......

With all due respect, sir you haven't exactly been on point with your "this is how it's gonna be," contract predictions. 

I've been listening to guys like you, Matts, and NYFTB tell me that we are about to get the breaking news tweet on Daks big contract any minute now, for nearly a year. You guys thought he would sign at the end of last year, and all throughout the off season. You were to be stunned if he played a game this year without a new deal. Now this year is over.

I think at this point a franchise tag is the most likely outcome, especially since we get two of them, but if we do sign Dak long term it's not the end of the world. He has progressed a ton in my eyes. I just think the QB market is out of control. Guys are getting paid like it's becoming impossible to find a solid starter. When in reality it's never before been easier. The market doesn't match the trend. 

Dallas will have a new HC.

Good.

Dak is going to be re-signed for a substantial amount of money. 

Right. And he's going to do it 9 months ago. And he'll get it before DLaw, and Jaylon, and Collins, and Dallas won't pay Zeke $15m. 

Dallas is not using a high draft pick to select a QB.

Even if this is true, it doesn't make it the right decision. The Patriots draft QBs with high picks, and trade them off. The Cardinals spent two first round picks in a row on QBs and that turned out to be a good decision. They still managed to get a season from Rosen, and still traded him for a 2nd.  QBs have best in class resale value, and good teams draft them early annually.

But you are correct that we are not a well run franchise and will probably make poor decisions like ignoring early round QBs for 30 years. 

Edited by DaBoys

13 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

With all due respect, sir you haven't exactly been on point with your "this is how it's gonna be," contract predictions. 

I've been listening to guys like you, Matts, and NYFTB tell me that we are about to get the breaking news tweet on Daks big contract any minute now, for nearly a year. You guys thought he would sign at the end of last year, and all throughout the off season. You were to be stunned if he played a game this year without a new deal. Now this year is over.

I think at this point a franchise tag is the most likely outcome, especially since we get two of them, but if we do sign Dak long term it's not the end of the world. He has progressed a ton in my eyes. I just think the QB market is out of control. Guys are getting paid like it's becoming impossible to find a solid starter. When in reality it's never before been easier. The market doesn't match the trend. 

Good.

Right. And he's going to do it 9 months ago. And he'll get it before DLaw, and Jaylon, and Collins, and Dallas won't pay Zeke $15m. 

Even if this is true, it doesn't make it the right decision. The Patriots draft QBs with high picks, and trade them off. The Cardinals spent two first round picks in a row on QBs and that turned out to be a good decision. They still managed to get a season from Rosen, and still traded him for a 2nd.  QBs have best in class resale value, and good teams draft them early annually.

But you are correct that we are not a well run franchise and will probably make poor decisions like ignoring early round QBs for 30 years. 

Man there was some great hot takes in that thread. Especially from NYFTB on Dak: “He’s either our franchise QB or isn’t. There is no middle ground where “oh, we’d like to re-sign him, but only if we can get our middle linebacker done first””

Well it sure looks like there is middle ground since the team signed their middle linebacker first! 

• Like 1