Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

42 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

There is no such thing as garbage time when you are winning. The other team is always trying to stop you. The motivation of the winning team is to run the ball as a method of keeping the clock running and shorten the game

Garbage Time exists for losing teams because the winning team basically plays standard defense to prevent the big plays over the top that the losing team needs to catch up fast while giving up all the underneath and midfield stuff to KEEP THE CLOCK RUNNING and shorten the game

C'mon Matts.... you're not new to football

This was the exact same formula they used with Dak in his 13-3 season. Run the ball, Keep the clock moving, limit the amount of opposition drives and keep our defense off the field as much as possible. The more they have relied on Dak's arm alone, the less successful they have been

9 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

The winning team doesn't have garbage time. The losing team doesn't play prevent.

As much as my post was tongue in cheek, you two are both wrong. Defenses on the losing side of a blowout (by half time) absolutely adjust their playstyle. They dont play prevent, they do tend to play more aggressive/risky. Which, typical to a Wade Phillips defense, can create terrible gap integrity. His 1 gap style is susceptible to big runs, especially on the boundaries (which is where we had success). 

Secondly, the RBs absolutely get more opportunities in "garbage time". That was the most lopsided game for the Cowboys this season - do you really not see how that led to Pollards best game in his career? 

Lastely, Dak had an adjusted yards per attempt of almost 11. Once again proving that when Dak is efficient, we win the game*;)

*(assuming our defense doesnt allow the opposing QB to be even more efficient)

Edited by Matts4313

To be honest I don’t live die with most stats that was why a few years ago I stayed out of the Dak and the under over 200 yard thread.   There is a reason most QB who have 400-500 yard games do it in a loosing effort.  I don’t put that on “garbage” time but rather throwing all the time to stay in the game or keep up with the other teams offense

I also try stay out of running game doesn't matter thread though will 100 % agree with the statement teams need a efficient Qb to win. 

I will also admit to using the eye test a lot when watching games to see who is playing well in all phases do I sense the QB is “comfortable” in the pocket throws the ball when he wants to - is throwing to receivers  who have separation.  Then I think ok good offense scheme.  WR’s doing the their job and if the QB is putting the ball where the receiver can get their hands on it QB is doing his job.

if I see happy feet Qb seems “rushed”, WR always having a defender in their hip pocket I think okay what’s going wrong?   Is the OL not handling the rush right are the WR doing a poor job running their routes or is the scheme wrong.  And if watching think the QB is panicking my mind “Eli being Eli”.    

In my mind the three “bad” games before rams the only one I though Dak bad Dak was the Buffalo game.   Otherwise especially the Chicago game I thought it was more the OL and what the Chicago D or the type of plays we were running rather then what Dak wasn’t doing 

Edited by quiller
  • Like 2

"Daniel Jones had five passing touchdowns in the Giants' win over the Redskins. He is the fourth rookie since 1950 to throw five passing TDs in a single game, joining Deshaun Watson (2017), Jameis Winston(2015) and Matthew Stafford (2009). Jones also joins Stafford as the only rookies since at least 1950 with at least 300 passing yards and at least five passing TDs in a single game."

Hmmmm....4th rookie since 1950 and all of them in the last 10 years

... it's almost as if the QB position is easier to play now than ever before. Like maybe it's really NOT that crazy Dak has managed an up and down career as a 4th rounder. Maybe starting QBs aren't that hard to find anymore. 

I'm not saying Dak sucks, but in this league I'm not clinging to every QB that flashes ability, and I'm not overpaying like it's impossible to find another Dak. There's Tannehills, Mariotas, and Winston's in Free Agency for a fraction of Daks price and our draft position is getting better by the week. Also cheap would be Burrow, Tua if healthy, Eason, Jake Fromm, Jalen Hurts can do Dak type stuff and so can Justin Herbert. 

And I'm not scared to risk playing a free agent QB or a rookie because the league wide QB Rating goes up every year.  Rookies are finding success more now than ever. And whoever got the reins would benefit from a pretty good OL and RB.

from 2016:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14609505/an-average-nfl-quarterback-now-stats-great-quarterbacks-years-achieve-nfl

"2015 saw the league set records for completions, attempts, completion percentage, passing yards and passing touchdowns while simultaneously posting the lowest interception rate in league history.

Look at the players who have come up in the 2015 rankings as an "average" quarterback: Stafford. Cousins. Cutler. Carr. Teams treasure these guys as franchise quarterbacks, either in the process of developing or having fully realized their potential. And in some ways, they are, but how valuable is average? Is it worth Stafford's megadeal, which might have cost the Lions Ndamukong Suh and a realistic shot at managing their cap effectively? Cutler's deal, which the Bears would have dumped for free if they could have last offseason? Or the deal Cousins is about to get from Washington if the two sides can come to terms? What seemed excellent even 20 years ago is mere competence today."

The Dark ages aren't really a thing anymore. Teams can plug UDFAs and 4th rounders in at QB and barely miss a beat for 15 years. The Dark ages after Romo lasted exactly 1 year, and Daks streaky career doesn't look so special with everyone else's rookie breaking records and winning MVPs.

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, DaBoys said:

"Daniel Jones had five passing touchdowns in the Giants' win over the Redskins. He is the fourth rookie since 1950 to throw five passing TDs in a single game, joining Deshaun Watson (2017), Jameis Winston(2015) and Matthew Stafford (2009). Jones also joins Stafford as the only rookies since at least 1950 with at least 300 passing yards and at least five passing TDs in a single game."

Hmmmm....4th rookie since 1950 and all of them in the last 10 years

... it's almost as if the QB position is easier to play now than ever before. Like maybe it's really NOT that crazy Dak has managed an up and down career as a 4th rounder. Maybe starting QBs aren't that hard to find anymore. 

I'm not saying Dak sucks, but in this league I'm not clinging to every QB that flashes ability, and I'm not overpaying like it's impossible to find another Dak. There's Tannehills, Mariotas, and Winston's in Free Agency for a fraction of Daks price and our draft position is getting better by the week. Also cheap would be Burrow, Tua if healthy, Eason, Jake Fromm, Jalen Hurts can do Dak type stuff and so can Justin Herbert. 

And I'm not scared to risk playing a free agent QB or a rookie because the league wide QB Rating goes up every year.  Rookies are finding success more now than ever. And whoever got the reins would benefit from a pretty good OL and RB.

from 2016:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14609505/an-average-nfl-quarterback-now-stats-great-quarterbacks-years-achieve-nfl

"2015 saw the league set records for completions, attempts, completion percentage, passing yards and passing touchdowns while simultaneously posting the lowest interception rate in league history.

Look at the players who have come up in the 2015 rankings as an "average" quarterback: Stafford. Cousins. Cutler. Carr. Teams treasure these guys as franchise quarterbacks, either in the process of developing or having fully realized their potential. And in some ways, they are, but how valuable is average? Is it worth Stafford's megadeal, which might have cost the Lions Ndamukong Suh and a realistic shot at managing their cap effectively? Cutler's deal, which the Bears would have dumped for free if they could have last offseason? Or the deal Cousins is about to get from Washington if the two sides can come to terms? What seemed excellent even 20 years ago is mere competence today."

The Dark ages aren't really a thing anymore. Teams can plug UDFAs and 4th rounders in at QB and barely miss a beat for 15 years. The Dark ages after Romo lasted exactly 1 year, and Daks streaky career doesn't look so special with everyone else's rookie breaking records and winning MVPs.

INB4 Matts replies to this with a Dak graph showing he's Top 5 all time

• Like 3

10 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

If, by some God forsaken miracle, Tua is available at our pick, I’m drafting him.

Getting the #12 pick is the only way I see this realistically happening. If we did though, I would fully support if Jerry decides to clean house and let the HC choose his QB of the future. If Tua is there, I draft him and still franchise tag Dak.

7 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Getting the #12 pick is the only way I see this realistically happening. If we did though, I would fully support if Jerry decides to clean house and let the HC choose his QB of the future. If Tua is there, I draft him and still franchise tag Dak.

I don't know guys. That's a significant injury Tua has to come back from.