Dak or Wentz

Kiwibrown

Pick one   

112 members have voted

1. 1. D v W

... here's some perspective on Dak Prescott's season thus far:

This season, 15 of Dak's 23 TD passes came against the Giants, Redskins, Lions, and Dolphins; the 28th, 23rd, 29th, and 31st ranked defenses respectively.  Good QBs are supposed to take advantage of inferior talent, fine.

Here's the problem, Dak has faced 6 teams currently competing for a playoff spot (I'm including the Eagles).  Against those teams, he's 1-5, and has thrown 8 TDs and 8 INTs...

9 total TDs against teams with a somewhat respectable defense....  and this is supposedly his best season?

Now a look at Wentz...

Wentz has faced 7 teams in the playoff conversation (including DAL, CHI).  Against those teams, he's 3-4, and has thrown 10 TDs to 4 INTs

Wentz's numbers, even in a down year,  have still been more impressive in crucial games than Dak, who simply took advantage of tomato cans... 

I will say, Wentz has fumbled a lot this year, but that's what a busted up hand and a bad o-line will do....

Edited by frenchie
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, frenchie said:

This season, 15 of Dak's 23 TD passes came against the Giants, Redskins, Lions, and Dolphins; the 28th, 23rd, 29th, and 31st ranked defenses respectively.  Good QBs are supposed to take advantage of inferior talent, fine.

Here's the problem, Dak has faced 6 teams currently competing for a playoff spot (I'm including the Eagles).  Against those teams, he's 1-5, and has thrown 8 TDs and 8 INTs...

9 total TDs against teams with a somewhat respectable defense....  and this is supposedly his best season?

Now a look at Wentz...

Wentz has faced 7 teams in the playoff conversation (including DAL, CHI).  Against those teams, he's 3-4, and has thrown 10 TDs to 4 INTs

Wentz's numbers, even in a down year,  have still been more impressive in crucial games than Dak, who simply took advantage of tomato cans... 

I will say, Wentz has fumbled a lot this year, but that's what a busted up hand and a bad o-line will do....

Wentz gets to pad his stats against some of the worst team in the league to end the season. Im confident he will catch up to Dak despite having the worse WR corps...

12 hours ago, frenchie said:

Now a look at Wentz...

Ah yes... Those 2 garbage time TDs he threw against the Seahawks and Cowboys respectively... While also conveniently ignoring his fumbles.

No dog in this fight, but stats on paper without context do nothing to actually help the debate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Ah yes... Those 2 garbage time TDs he threw against the Seahawks and Cowboys respectively..

Ok, take off two TDs, Wentz still has 8TDs to 4 INTs against playoff caliber teams.  Compared to Dak’s 8 TDs to 8INTs..  doesn’t really hurt my argument...

. While also conveniently ignoring his fumbles.

Definitely mentioned his fumble issues .. May want to take another look.

No dog in this fight, but stats on paper without context do nothing to actually help the debate.

Precisely why I went out of my way to add context to the stats, but ok....

17 hours ago, frenchie said:

Ok, take off two TDs, Wentz still has 8TDs to 4 INTs against playoff caliber teams.  Compared to Dak’s 8 TDs to 8INTs..  doesn’t really hurt my argument...

Definitely mentioned his fumble issues .. May want to take another look.

Precisely why I went out of my way to add context to the stats, but ok....

No, you dismissed his fumble issues as the result of others. Fact is, he's turned the ball over as much as Dak in those games.

2 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

No, you dismissed his fumble issues as the result of others. Fact is, he's turned the ball over as much as Dak in those games.

Wasn’t exactly dismissing it, but that’s fair...

Still though,  2 lost fumbles to Seattle, he was playing with a bruised hand, and without Lane Johnson.   

when he lost two fumbles to Dallas, he was without Jason Peters.

i’d have to go back and look, but my guess is those fumbles are a direct result of his starting tackles being out.  Aside from that, Eagles line has been terrible last few weeks...

On 01/12/2019 at 6:06 PM, BlaqOptic said:

Ah yes... Those 2 garbage time TDs he threw against the Seahawks and Cowboys respectively... While also conveniently ignoring his fumbles.

Take garbage time TD out of Dak stats and we might have another conversation

I am naturally a Dak "hater" but he definitely improved. His amazing early stats, and current stats which remain fairly good, were/are clearly a product of some cupcake Ds he picked on to start the year, but there's no denying he actually did become a better player. I notice much better ball placement, and consistency, on those intermediate to deep throws. As good as his numbers? I don't think so, but I think he has went from Dalton territory to franchise QB territory, although I still don't see him ever being a consensus top 8ish-10 QB or anything.

For Carson, he's just hard to rate right now. The WR corp has been garbage, makes things hard to judge. Early in the year, outside of that 1st half against Atl (where DeSean, Alshon and Goedert were out of the game by the midpoint of the 1st quarter), he was playing pretty damn good given the circumstances, despite average stats. Last several weeks, that's not been the case, he is no longer looking very good... which makes you wonder "are the even worse WRs making him look bad or is he just not playing too well", and the answer is probably a mix of both. His mechanics have been degrading as the season progresses as well, and what looked like a rocket arm in 2017 has been looking very average lately. He's got a lot he needs to clean up, and an improved WR corp is needed, but I still see that top tier potential in Carson that I don't see in Dak.

but Dak has performed better this year than Carson has, both got off to hot starts (although Wentz's numbers didn't reflect it), but Carson's lows have been much lower, even when taking into account what he's working with.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss